Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Jarad

Display setup complete !

Jarad    110
Jarad

Hi everyone,

After several days of work I have completed my shrimp display setup. As promised I will do my write up on how I built this, steps taken to during construction as well as recommendations for suppliers of those 'hard to get bits'. But as I am excited and proud of my handiwork I will drop a few pics here and do my write up later on in this thread :) 

14218074_698383393647963_126346132_n.jpg

14248132_698383513647951_1231728733_o.jpg

14273371_698383486981287_1097794624_o.jpg

14285151_698383533647949_1692266483_o.jpg

• Like 4

jayc    1,403
jayc

Nice. Stereo tanks.

It looks like you have one pump controlling waterflow back to two separate tanks.

How are you doing that? With a "T" valve? - Is water flowing evenly to both tanks?

• Like 1

Jarad    110
Jarad

Cheers !
Yeah one pump.No T valve as I have valves on the tanks themselves ( both in and out ) the reason I have chosen to go this way is not only to adjust water levels but it makes tank isolation incredibly easy :) 
I have ordered several 'flow meters' and solenoid valves so I can automate adjustments ( Wont be hard to rig a circuit and write the code ) 

14284970_698752690277700_585969434_o.jpg

• Like 2

Grubs    185
Grubs

Regulating taps on the inlets I'm all for.  Taps on the drains however is asking for trouble.  If you one day have a brain fart and close the valve you'll flood the tank.  I'd put a wrap of duct tape over the taps on the drains so you can't close them unless you really want to.

Otherwise it looks great and I like the idea of having extra grow space in the sump.

• Like 2

Jarad    110
Jarad

@Grubs cheers mate, I have put labels on the drains to remind me of just that and I have drilled my partner on it also :)

jayc    1,403
jayc

Makes sense now seeing the back.

1 hour ago, Grubs said:

extra grow space in the sump.

Yeah, that's a good idea that.

Are you running opposite day/night cycles between the tank and sump?

• Like 3

Jarad    110
Jarad
10 minutes ago, jayc said:

Makes sense now seeing the back.

Yeah, that's a good idea that.

Are you running opposite day/night cycles between the tank and sump?

Yeah I should have included the picture of the back to begin with, No I am not running opposite cycles. Purely because I didn't think of it. @jayc that's genius ! I immediately realize its a good idea and why, I will implement it now !
Currently I have day/night cycles ( normal light during the day and deep blue at night ) but I will simply reverse the sump so that during the day it's Display tanks on day and sump on night and vice versa. Thanks for the idea :)

Edited by Jarad G Davey
  • Like 1

jayc    1,403
jayc
22 minutes ago, Jarad G Davey said:

@jayc that's genius

👍That's right, and don't forget it. 😜

29 minutes ago, Jarad G Davey said:

its a good idea and why

Shall we elaborate on the reason or shall we keep everyone else guessing?

• Like 2

Jarad    110
Jarad
12 minutes ago, jayc said:

1f44d.pngThat's right, and don't forget it. 1f61c.png

Shall we elaborate on the reason or shall we keep everyone else guessing?

Keep em guessing :p

bluestarfish    19
bluestarfish

My assumption would be so that you always have some plants using CO2.

I don't know anything about constructing tanks or the plumbing involved for a sump, but it certainly is intriguing to look at.

• Like 2

jayc    1,403
jayc
11 hours ago, bluestarfish said:

My assumption would be so that you always have some plants using CO2.

That plus release of O2. 

The fluctuation of CO2 and Oxygen between the day/night cycle is minimised. And thus, pH is maintained / balanced between night and day.

Some people encourage algae to grow in the refugium sump, where the algae will take up the excess nutrients and nitrates. So the sump can look as nasty as it needs to be since it's hidden, while the tank looks clean and free of algae. This is making algae work to your advantage.

Just to avoid further confusion, we should call it by it's correct name.

Sump = no light.

Refugium = with light.

Some other benefits include:

• A great place to grow nitrate eating plants in a Cichlid tank. The cichlids would destroy the plants in a tank otherwise. But in a refugium, the plants can thrive and help with the intake of nutrients.
  • An alternative to housing fry or shrimplets in breeding boxes, without impacting the aesthetics of the main tank.
  • Hide all the unsightly heaters, skimmers, etc.
  • uh, probably something else I have forgotten

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Jarad    110
Jarad
On 9/7/2016 at 11:58 AM, jayc said:

Nice. Stereo tanks.

It looks like you have one pump controlling waterflow back to two separate tanks.

How are you doing that? With a "T" valve? - Is water flowing evenly to both tanks?

@jayc, I've just noticed something you might find interesting.
I have opened up all valves to full and the levels in the tanks are balancing themselves.
This makes sense as when one tank has more water in it than the one next to it ; it has more pressure so the other tank receives more water from the pump and vice versa. The tanks level themselves, and as such receive the same amount of water :)
As per usual I make things overly complex and difficult for myself ^_^ 

Edited by Jarad G Davey
  • Like 1

jayc    1,403
jayc
58 minutes ago, Jarad G Davey said:

opened up all valves to full and the levels in the tanks are balancing themselves.

That's actually cool to know. 

• Like 1

Jarad    110
Jarad
6 minutes ago, jayc said:

That's actually cool to know. 

I thought so too, The only thing I can't work out is why this is happening considering one drain is about 30mm lower than the other. I believe it has to do with the water level at the input as they are of identical height. I also think that even though one drain is lower ; due to the way that they are plumbed the drains are running at capacity making the drain height irrelevant. I suck at fluid dynamics but thats my thoughts ...

bluestarfish    19
bluestarfish

I asked the guy about it (he's a physicist) he said that it's complicated because the system isn't static, and that the height of the drains does not really matte relative to the size/length. And that "to a first approximation" what you said about it is correct.

Edited by bluestarfish
  • Like 1

Jarad    110
Jarad
8 hours ago, bluestarfish said:

I asked the guy about it (he's a physicist) he said that it's complicated because the system isn't static, and that the height of the drains does not really matte relative to the size/length. And that "to a first approximation" what you said about it is correct.

Haha cheers mate, Glad to know my hypothesis has merit :)

Edited by Jarad G Davey

jayc    1,403
jayc
1 hour ago, Jarad G Davey said:

my hypothesis has merit

Well done. 

What is more comforting is that the slight imperfections of our designs doesn't matter,  and physics sorts it out. 

• Like 1

Jarad    110
Jarad

Hooray for the laws of the universe !

• Like 1

Jarad    110
Jarad

Well the sump is maturing well, Getting some nice growth and the plants are taking off, Now all I need to do is put some mesh in so I can put some shrimp in there

14423728_708651939287775_1895058971_o.jpg

• Like 3

Jarad    110
Jarad

So life has been a bit hectic and I still haven't done the write up, I will get to it eventually although my phone died and I lost all my pictures :(  

Jarad    110
Jarad

Grow space / refugium is getting used well...

14536826_712420598910909_1154833167_o.jpg

14542648_712438665575769_735984281_n.jpg

• Like 1

Jarad    110
Jarad

So I have just finished wiring the night lighting, Sump on opposite cycle of course ...

14536824_713778332108469_1407021531_o.jpg

14555985_713778052108497_84880931_n.jpg

14593228_713778048775164_1203337526_n.jpg

• Like 2

bluestarfish    19
bluestarfish

How did you get the sump in there anyway? Lots of careful wiggling to squeeze it in, or did you add the T bar's after putting in the sump?

Jarad    110
Jarad
8 hours ago, bluestarfish said:

How did you get the sump in there anyway? Lots of careful wiggling to squeeze it in, or did you add the T bar's after putting in the sump?

I've made it so that the front support can be pulled out and jimmied in for maintenance :)

bluestarfish    19
bluestarfish

Ahh I see!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Shrimp>Wife
      By Shrimp>Wife
      Hi Everyone,
      I was inspired to make the stainless steel immersion tubes found in the following thread: 
      https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/9455-cooling-multiple-tanks/
      I made mine with the following materials
      - x metres of annealed seamless stainless steel tube grade 316. Outer Diameter 12.7mm, Wall Thickness 0.9mm, ASTM 269. I got mine from Midway Metals in Sydney for $5 per metre.
      - A hand bender, rated to bend thin walled stainless steel. Got one from ebay for $99.
      - A tube cutter, again make sure it will cut thin wall stainless steel. I got mine from ebay for $32.
      For 60cm tanks I recommend 3 metres of tubing
      For 30cm tanks I recommend 2 metres of tubing
      Your hand bender will have an inherent bend radius, using this you can calculate the length of tube that you will use up with each bend whether it be 90 degrees or 180 degrees and pretty much how much tube you will need depending on your design. 
      NOTES: I used 12.7mm tubing as you can then squeeze 12/16mm aquarium hosing on to it snugly (if you are paranoid use hose clamps as well). I also used 12.7mm OD tubing as its the maximum diameter you can get a hand bender for that is rated to bend stainless steel. Do not get thicker than 1.0mm walled stainless steel it will be a nightmare to bend. Make sure your stainless steel is annealed seamless tube this is specifically made for severe manipulation. This is for freshwater application only... the guys at midway said this would last 3 months in a saltwater tank lol. Good hand benders are each made for one specific diameter only, make sure you get the right one for your tube diameter.
      I am happy to post links to the ebay items if I'm allowed to.
      I'm pairing this with an Eheim 2213 and a Resun cl 200 chiller to chill 2 x 60cm tanks and ultimately 3 x 60cm, I'll update once this is done and give some feedback on the temp differences. I hope the info is useful.

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hello,
      So I made this little tank and stand a few weeks back to go in my shed.
      It gets way to hot in here to have a normal co2 cylinder and I don't have a spare one floating around anyway, but I have lots of bits and pieces,
      So I made this:

The reactor, Filter, night time shut off and proper needle valve to ensure the co2 level is constant and never rises.

A diy wooden diffuser I made producing very fine pollen style bubbles.

The only thing I would add if I could is a pressure relief valve, you can buy cheap kits off eBay that have one of these and a gauge, but this system doesn't seem to need it.
      Im also using a recipe I adapted from mycology research utilising sugars with more complex carbohydrates to give a more stable long term reaction, I started this recipe on the 28th of dec and it's still going strong.
      I had to remove the built in check valve from the other side of my needle valve (cause it's made for high pressure) it prevented co2 running to the diffuser at start up, and caused pressure to build up. I just used a standard air line check valve that requires less pressure to open and it's all working fine again. Atleast now I know standard airline push fittings hold up under the pressure, literally. I have used proper co2 tubing throughout, it's probably not needed considering this is a "constant" system but I had it laying around.
      The the solenoid valve which runs my "night time shut off" operates a bit different to a standard pressurised co2 system.
      I designed my solenoid on a T to the main line, It opens at night just venting co2 into the air instead of running into the tank, this is so pressure doesn't build up and wreck the whole system. 
      My fav part is the diffuser TBH,
      I'm so fascinated by wooden diffusers.
      enjoy.
    • Zebra
      By Zebra
      This is the new and improved steriliser. 
      its basically just 40mm pvc pipe end cap with spacers made from 40mm pipe.
      2 wires connected to mesh close together in the water.
      Splits the H20 on a molecular level, pretty cool for how simple it is. 
      Normal copper wire will work but it will dissolve within a few minutes, ive just used stainless steel BBQ skewers, these also worked well to just hang the whole unit from the side of the tank, and the stainless steel mesh from a tea strainer.
      Then air line tubing to prevent the rods touching, and some heat shrink to hold it all together, 
      You just have to do tight connections like unless you have a SS welder, 
      🙂
      I'm just using 12v DC so in theory I could easily add a fader to control the intensity of the steriliser just like the fancy ones.
      I might do an actually write up on it later or something. For now I'm getting this bad boy in my zeb tank.
      its working great, now how long should I have it on for? Haha
      I was thinking starting at 15min per hour. Lol yeah it's pretty damn ghetto.
      Cheers

• CNgo2006
      By CNgo2006

Pretty sure everyone knows how to silicone rings together so won't be a step by step tutorial
      What was used was:
      Aquarium safe silicone or superglue Ceramic rings (choose an inert one and one that has a nice hole size for the specific shrimp you are making it for) I chose Mr Aqua M size. It is inert and quite porous for extra surface area (never a bad thing). You may want to look at getting the L size if you are making for large adult shrimp. Stick like a shish kebab stick to clear any obstructions that the silicone may have caused on the inside of the rings. They look quite nice I reckon, with moss on them will look even better!

For around $15 you can easily make 10+ pyramids, go crazy and make them as big/small as you want, giant levelled pyramids or single logs, up to you!

in this hobby we like to save where possible, so making these are a great way to save!

View full article
    • CNgo2006
      By CNgo2006
      Pretty sure everyone knows how to silicone rings together so won't be a step by step tutorial
      What was used was:
      Aquarium safe silicone or superglue Ceramic rings (choose an inert one and one that has a nice hole size for the specific shrimp you are making it for) I chose Mr Aqua M size. It is inert and quite porous for extra surface area (never a bad thing). You may want to look at getting the L size if you are making for large adult shrimp. Stick like a shish kebab stick to clear any obstructions that the silicone may have caused on the inside of the rings. They look quite nice I reckon, with moss on them will look even better!

For around $15 you can easily make 10+ pyramids, go crazy and make them as big/small as you want, giant levelled pyramids or single logs, up to you!

in this hobby we like to save where possible, so making these are a great way to save!

• Topics

• revolutionhope
      Good solid advice@jayc :-)

will

• jayc
      The shrimp seem to not mind it at all, in fact they seem to be thinking ... "Ooo, look! New foraging areas" whenever I disturb the substrate. But of course, I match the new water parameters to the old as much as I can except for TDS (generally the new water is lower in TDS). Every other parameter, like pH, GH, and temperature will be a very close match. So the shrimp don't notice it much. I catch as many as visibly possible into a bucket temporarily while I clean the tank. And they are returned to the tank after acclimating them slowly. I filter the water I drain into a net first to catch any baby shrimplets.  If you want to add substrate without removing the old substrate, it can be done easily ... one scoop at a time. Use those plastic takeaway containers. The shrimp will scatter.  Don't be too worried, they are faster than you think when the need arises. I aim to never loose any 😉 🤘  
    • jayc
      Where is @Foxpuppet and @lodo when you need them?
    • Baccus
      I think to a degree volume of water and stocking levels relevant to that volume assists in shrimp size. A couple of years ago I chucked a heap of cull cherry shrimp into my 1000L pond and months later when doing some maintenance on the tank found freakishly large cherry shrimp. This pond didn't get lots of special foods like the tanks did, instead might have only had commercial fish food put in once a week. However did/ does have a large lily plant, other weeds, leaves and fruit (mostly icecream bean fruit and leaves) falling into the pond and plenty of bloodworms naturally colonised, along with dragonfly nymphs which predate on the shrimp. I have never seen such large cherry shrimp again and certainly have never produced any of that size in any of my tanks even the 4ft tanks. So even though shrimp maybe able to do quite well in nano and small tanks I often wonder if we do them a disservice by having them in small tanks, in effect stunting them to some degree. revolutionhope I had also heard about dark substrate bringing out the best colour, however I once had some of the darkest glossy red cherry shrimp on pure white sand, with live plants natural timber and fish. Other shrimp have been just as well coloured on natural coloured creek gravel. Less well coloured or have taken longer to show good colour potential have been on a gravel blend of natural and fluro coloured gravels like what most kids will buy for their first tank because they like the pretty colours. In my black cherry tank I am actually getting to the point of trying to decide in which direction do I want to go with the black breeding program. Since I am now getting blue black shrimp. Some of the shrimp are still a nice solid glossy black but have a distinct dark blue undertone. I wish I could get a photo to show the variation between these blue blacks and true blacks. In this same tank I am still having to remove the odd chocolate, very occasional faint yellow and green, recently pale blue and thankfully even less often now wild type. Oh and if possible with your divided breeding programs try to keep the separate tanks a good distance apart since shrimp are good climbers and sneaky escape artists. Where I have my tanks ( all open topped) one of the tanks has higher sides than its neighbouring tank which is lower. So even though the there is a gap between the tanks I am almost certain that shrimp from the higher tank have managed to flip over the side and by more good luck than planning end up in the lower tank. Some have not been so lucky and then I find crispy dried shrimp on the bench. So if tanks where the same height and butted up side  by side or even one tank divided there is the potential for shrimp to make escape bids and climb into neighbouring tanks. I have even seen photos of shrimp climbing against the flow of a HOB filter return to get into the yummy gunk inside the filter.
    • EBC
      How do your shrimp fare when you do a big tear down like that? Do you generally expect to lose a couple? Or do you put them in another tank while you do it? I am currently renting one bedroom apartments so I only have the one small tank. With such a small tank I would be worried I would crush some shrimp in the process. 
  • Featured Products

• Recent Articles