Sign in to follow this  
Zebra

DIY co2 done the right way.

Zebra

Hello,

So I made this little tank and stand a few weeks back to go in my shed.

It gets way to hot in here to have a normal co2 cylinder and I don't have a spare one floating around anyway, but I have lots of bits and pieces,

So I made this:

The reactor, Filter, night time shut off and proper needle valve to ensure the co2 level is constant and never rises.

IMG_1088.JPG

A diy wooden diffuser I made producing very fine pollen style bubbles.

IMG_1245.PNG

The only thing I would add if I could is a pressure relief valve, you can buy cheap kits off eBay that have one of these and a gauge, but this system doesn't seem to need it.

Im also using a recipe I adapted from mycology research utilising sugars with more complex carbohydrates to give a more stable long term reaction, I started this recipe on the 28th of dec and it's still going strong.

I had to remove the built in check valve from the other side of my needle valve (cause it's made for high pressure) it prevented co2 running to the diffuser at start up, and caused pressure to build up. I just used a standard air line check valve that requires less pressure to open and it's all working fine again. Atleast now I know standard airline push fittings hold up under the pressure, literally. I have used proper co2 tubing throughout, it's probably not needed considering this is a "constant" system but I had it laying around.

The the solenoid valve which runs my "night time shut off" operates a bit different to a standard pressurised co2 system.

I designed my solenoid on a T to the main line, It opens at night just venting co2 into the air instead of running into the tank, this is so pressure doesn't build up and wreck the whole system. 

My fav part is the diffuser TBH,

I'm so fascinated by wooden diffusers.

enjoy.

Edited by Zebra
  • Like 2

KeenShrimp

Nice @Zebra, so whatcha brewin' as a fortuitous byproduct? ?

• Like 1

Zebra

Haha not sure yet mate, I'll see how it tastes when it stops producing co2 lol

Maybe add some lemon next time.

• Like 1

Zebra

Update:

Im emptying and refilling the fermentation chamber tonight.

Its still producing decent co2 but has just started dropping off today, so I'm just gonna refill it, 

It lasted from the 28th Dec till now which I think is pretty good. 

Zebra

@KeenShrimp I tasted a bit before I made the new batch haha, 

It was highly alcoholic, just tasted like kind of sour beer, I don't think it would be too hard to make it taste decent haha.

• Like 1

Cesar

Nice! I would wrap my bottle with a towel as I found that more CO2 was produced when the bottle is kept warm... Fermentation of the yeast and sugar slows down with colder temps, later I found a bottle with zipper neoprene cover and I modified the top to fit an airline...

As far as diffusion, I would just stick the other end of the airline straight into the Fluval intake, the intake propeller would dice up the bubbles and infusion would happen in the canister filter...

HTH

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?
      Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 
      Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!
      Regards
      -The Keeper
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-
      1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced
      2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 
      3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)
    • Shrimp>Wife
      By Shrimp>Wife
      Hi Everyone,
      I was inspired to make the stainless steel immersion tubes found in the following thread: 
      https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/9455-cooling-multiple-tanks/
      I made mine with the following materials
      - x metres of annealed seamless stainless steel tube grade 316. Outer Diameter 12.7mm, Wall Thickness 0.9mm, ASTM 269. I got mine from Midway Metals in Sydney for $5 per metre.
      - A hand bender, rated to bend thin walled stainless steel. Got one from ebay for $99.
      - A tube cutter, again make sure it will cut thin wall stainless steel. I got mine from ebay for $32.
      For 60cm tanks I recommend 3 metres of tubing
      For 30cm tanks I recommend 2 metres of tubing
      Your hand bender will have an inherent bend radius, using this you can calculate the length of tube that you will use up with each bend whether it be 90 degrees or 180 degrees and pretty much how much tube you will need depending on your design. 
      NOTES: I used 12.7mm tubing as you can then squeeze 12/16mm aquarium hosing on to it snugly (if you are paranoid use hose clamps as well). I also used 12.7mm OD tubing as its the maximum diameter you can get a hand bender for that is rated to bend stainless steel. Do not get thicker than 1.0mm walled stainless steel it will be a nightmare to bend. Make sure your stainless steel is annealed seamless tube this is specifically made for severe manipulation. This is for freshwater application only... the guys at midway said this would last 3 months in a saltwater tank lol. Good hand benders are each made for one specific diameter only, make sure you get the right one for your tube diameter.
      I am happy to post links to the ebay items if I'm allowed to.
      I'm pairing this with an Eheim 2213 and a Resun cl 200 chiller to chill 2 x 60cm tanks and ultimately 3 x 60cm, I'll update once this is done and give some feedback on the temp differences. I hope the info is useful.

• jessaweeshrimp
      By jessaweeshrimp
      I am setting up a new tank and currently have a 36" 12 gallon, a 30 gallon long, a 20 high, a 10 gallon and a 29 gallon. I am now setting up a 75 gallon. I am using a Submersible and a HOB and a UG with Power heads.
      My question revolves around running the Powerheads in reverse and feeding them with CO2 from a Citric/Baking soda set up. Will the CO2 hurt the plants being delivered to the roots first for maximum diffusion? I do use Seachem Excel in my tanks trying to give the plants the edge over the algae. 
      I have also used the H2O2 and CO2 punch technique successfully but haven't chatted too much about ferts and CO2. Does anyone see any concerns with my plan?

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      This is the new and improved steriliser. 
      its basically just 40mm pvc pipe end cap with spacers made from 40mm pipe.
      2 wires connected to mesh close together in the water.
      Splits the H20 on a molecular level, pretty cool for how simple it is. 
      Normal copper wire will work but it will dissolve within a few minutes, ive just used stainless steel BBQ skewers, these also worked well to just hang the whole unit from the side of the tank, and the stainless steel mesh from a tea strainer.
      Then air line tubing to prevent the rods touching, and some heat shrink to hold it all together, 
      You just have to do tight connections like unless you have a SS welder, 
      ?
      I'm just using 12v DC so in theory I could easily add a fader to control the intensity of the steriliser just like the fancy ones.
      I might do an actually write up on it later or something. For now I'm getting this bad boy in my zeb tank.
      its working great, now how long should I have it on for? Haha
      I was thinking starting at 15min per hour. Lol yeah it's pretty damn ghetto.
      Cheers

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Cesar
      Yep, I see it too... Will look into this... Recently upgraded to the latest forum software... Always bugs to fix afterward... Thanks @Grubs for bringing this to my attention.
    • Grubs
      I'm getting an error loading Articles but only when signed in to the forum.  Tested with  latest Firefox Quantum 69.0  and Edge.  Articles load perfectly  if I sign out, but not when signed in.
    • jayc
      If not prime,  you will have to use another de-chlorinator, as chlorine  will kill the bacteria. It might still cycle with prime,  but maybe a bit longer. Do you have access to one that doesn't bind ammonia?  No need to change the water  until you see ph drop below 6.5.
    • Razzy
      Hi, I'm cycling a tank ATM and I'm using Dr Tim's ammonia, stability and I do have prime. But I was wondering if prime would stall the cycle since the bacteria need ammonia to feed and prime turns it into a.non toxic form?  My ammonia's been pretty high for the past week and I've been trying to do a partial water change to keep the levels down, not going down, no nitrites. But I did just start cycling it last week.
    • kms
      It wasn't intentional, I was just putting the new shrimps into the tank, the dead shrimp just fell into the tank. I just purchased another 10 crabs today to make it a total of 22, but the shop put a few more in the bag for me, I will be keeping about 10 crabs, the others are for two of my friends, there tanks isn't setup yet, as these crabs are hard to obtain in Hong Kong, the last time I saw them available was over 5 years ago.