DIY co2 done the right way.

Zebra

Hello,

So I made this little tank and stand a few weeks back to go in my shed.

It gets way to hot in here to have a normal co2 cylinder and I don't have a spare one floating around anyway, but I have lots of bits and pieces,

So I made this:

The reactor, Filter, night time shut off and proper needle valve to ensure the co2 level is constant and never rises.

IMG_1088.JPG

A diy wooden diffuser I made producing very fine pollen style bubbles.

IMG_1245.PNG

The only thing I would add if I could is a pressure relief valve, you can buy cheap kits off eBay that have one of these and a gauge, but this system doesn't seem to need it.

Im also using a recipe I adapted from mycology research utilising sugars with more complex carbohydrates to give a more stable long term reaction, I started this recipe on the 28th of dec and it's still going strong.

I had to remove the built in check valve from the other side of my needle valve (cause it's made for high pressure) it prevented co2 running to the diffuser at start up, and caused pressure to build up. I just used a standard air line check valve that requires less pressure to open and it's all working fine again. Atleast now I know standard airline push fittings hold up under the pressure, literally. I have used proper co2 tubing throughout, it's probably not needed considering this is a "constant" system but I had it laying around.

The the solenoid valve which runs my "night time shut off" operates a bit different to a standard pressurised co2 system.

I designed my solenoid on a T to the main line, It opens at night just venting co2 into the air instead of running into the tank, this is so pressure doesn't build up and wreck the whole system. 

My fav part is the diffuser TBH,

I'm so fascinated by wooden diffusers.

enjoy.

Edited by Zebra
  • Like 2

Haha not sure yet mate, I'll see how it tastes when it stops producing co2 lol

Maybe add some lemon next time.

• Like 1

Update:

Im emptying and refilling the fermentation chamber tonight.

Its still producing decent co2 but has just started dropping off today, so I'm just gonna refill it, 

It lasted from the 28th Dec till now which I think is pretty good. 

@KeenShrimp I tasted a bit before I made the new batch haha, 

It was highly alcoholic, just tasted like kind of sour beer, I don't think it would be too hard to make it taste decent haha.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Nice! I would wrap my bottle with a towel as I found that more CO2 was produced when the bottle is kept warm... Fermentation of the yeast and sugar slows down with colder temps, later I found a bottle with zipper neoprene cover and I modified the top to fit an airline...

As far as diffusion, I would just stick the other end of the airline straight into the Fluval intake, the intake propeller would dice up the bubbles and infusion would happen in the canister filter...

HTH

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Josh16622
      By Josh16622
      Has anyone successfully made a DIY remineralizer like Jay's one but for sulawesi? I'm interested to know, because if possible I too would want to make my own, but if nobody has experience with it, I'll get the Salty Shrimp mineral for sulawesi.
    • Merlin
      By Merlin
      Hello - 

I am firing up my planted aquarium and during the setup of my co2 regulator/solenoid I noticed a couple leaks that I am having troubles stopping.
      There was a very small leak at the connector from the needle valve to the solenoid.  I unthreaded and cleaned it up but upon reconnecting leak is still there (worse actually).

My question is how do you seal these connection?  I hear teflon tape is not a good idea as it can cause some internal issues if small pieces break of.  Since this connection is past the regulator maybe less of an issue but still.
      Is this an ideal application for teflon tape?  or is there some other method?
      (edit, this is pic from the web.  My reg is a JBS but connections are the same)

Thx,
      Merlin

• SonoranStorm
      By SonoranStorm
      Hi all.
      So some background
      My 10g tank has:
      Blue Dreams
      Amanos
      1 Cardinia that stowed away in a plant shipment I got
      3 Rainbow Paskais
      1 Celestial Danio
      Phoenix Moss
      Crinum Calamistratum (Onion Plant)
      Nymphaea Zenkeri (Tiger Lotus)
      Bolbitis Heudelotii (Creeping Fern)
      Eleocharis sp. Mini (Mini Dwarf Hairgrass )
      Micranthemum (Monte Carlo)
      A random piece of Subwasstertang
      algea but i dont want that
      The overall goal of this tank is to be a shrimp tank with the neos and maybe a species of Caridina once I'm a little more experienced. But I have a hard time keeping the neos alive a friend who owns the LFS ive been buying them at recommended i try buying from a local shrimper because his shrimp might be more well suited to the local water than the shrimp he buys from abroad because he thinks its weird that im having a tough time with Neos. So I did just that when i met up with him he told me co2 might be the issue since it makes the water acidic and makes molting hard and it makes the water parameters more unstable so I stopped using Co2 for the time being and the shrimp look healthy. But the issue is I would like to keep using Co2 for the benefits to the plants and because id like to keep the carpet ive been working on.
      Current Parameters
      Temp: 74.5 F/ 23.6 C
      Ph: Between 6 and 6.4 (im bad at colors) but its yellow (API Test)
      Kh: 4 drops the chat says 4 degrees 71 PPM
      Gh: 6 drops the chart says 6 degrees 107 PPM
      TDS: Waiting on a meter from amazon.
      Lights are on between 4 PM and 9:30 PM for those who don't do the military time. Bellow are the spectral percentages of light if this helps anyone.
      Any advice on how and if I should add Co2?

• TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?
      Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 
      Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!
      Regards
      -The Keeper
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-
      1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced
      2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 
      3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Grubs
      Midges are cosmopolitan.  Bloodworms are commonly of the genus Chironomus.. and fun-fact the red colour is haemoglobin which binds oxygen (as it does in our blood) allowing midge larvae to live in low oxygen environments like the sludge in the bottom of a fish-food bucket. https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/chironomus-plumosus
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thats most interesting, I didn't think we had midges here in SE England, but maybe just get a small number. We certainly get mosquito here though as there are 2 lakes in the grounds, I have friends coming sunday and they will be sent to get some daphnia and mosquito larvae, they usually take a tub full home for their fish as well! I will pass on the tip about the jelly if they see any in their bucket! Simon
    • Grubs
      Bloodworms are larvae of midges (mosquito-like flies without the "pronger") The adults lay eggs in the water that look like little sacks of jelly.  You sometimes see them hanging from the water surface or stuck to the edges of the bucket.  You can wipe the "jelly" off and put it in your tank and when the larvae hatch they are great fry food.... but if you dont have enough fish to eat them they may live in the tank and emerge to fly around your house.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I think the fins will healquite quickly if they do get damaged, it just looks a bit worrying to the owners eye! Simon
    • Crabby
      See, that’s the kind of conciseness in a post that I completely lack 😂 Yeah I’ve also heard it can be. Luckily no damaged fins, besides a teeny tiny tear in one of Tessa’s fins.