Sign in to follow this  
CNgo2006

New Library Article - DIY Shrimp Caves

CNgo2006

IMAG0845.jpg

Pretty sure everyone knows how to silicone rings together so won't be a step by step tutorial

What was used was:

• Aquarium safe silicone or superglue
  • Ceramic rings (choose an inert one and one that has a nice hole size for the specific shrimp you are making it for) I chose Mr Aqua M size. It is inert and quite porous for extra surface area (never a bad thing). You may want to look at getting the L size if you are making for large adult shrimp.
  • Stick like a shish kebab stick to clear any obstructions that the silicone may have caused on the inside of the rings.

They look quite nice I reckon, with moss on them will look even better!

IMAG0844.jpg

For around $15 you can easily make 10+ pyramids, go crazy and make them as big/small as you want, giant levelled pyramids or single logs, up to you!

IMAG0845.jpg

in this hobby we like to save where possible, so making these are a great way to save!

View full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Steensj2004
      Update: 3 Red Crystals are mamas, all three are holding, although I’m not sure how far apart they berried, and in what order. Algae is gone, completely. Yay!!! I’ve started to increase and vary the diet for the herd. Today, Broccoli.
    • Zoidburg
      Ah... those shrimp. Hard to say what genetics are at play there, since they started with all red shrimp... not rilis or blues.
    • Chiquarius
      Cool. Thanks. I remembered I was inspired by a thread from Barbanatas on the forum showing pictures of their awesome red blue rilis that arose. Perhaps I was mislead thinking blue dreams would do this and blue Velvet is the line I should use. Well I have a new smaller tank I suppose I will use as my cull tank for this experiment and cull heavily. I think I’ll get one of those tank dividers to separate most of my mature blue dreams and red rilis, just to keep those genes separate.
    • beanbag
      I forgot to mention I use UNS controsoi, which is little balls around 2mm in size.  It probably grows a layer of biofilm because all my shirmp like to graze on it and roll the little grains over to pick at all side of it.  It is very easy to gravel vac and usually removes a bit of "mulm" (I think it's called that?) .
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It sounds like this tank is doing well which is good, I think shrimp only live 1.5 years (except amanos which are 5 years) so the blue bolt is probably nearing the end. From what I have read over the years, it is best to keep on top of trimming plants when you do each routine maintenance rather than do a big trim as that can cause an imbalance which can be disastrous, so I would trim it but only a bit each time until you get to where you want it! I'm not sure what the substrate is you have but I doubt you can gravel vac soil substrate very well anyway, I would maybe get a couple of snails? There are a few grasses that do much better with CO2 so hairgrass may be one of those, but if the shrimps disturb it anyway it  would probably be best and easiest to try some other plant. Maybe the extra moss from the tree you could make a moss pad? You could add any cull shrimps from other tanks to this tank when you get to that stage? Simon