My new rack & tanks

Squiggle

I did some more work on my tanks & sump today, I drilled all the holes to link the two sump tanks & I drilled the hole for the sump pump. I also fitted all the bulkheads & started doing the plumbing, also I started making the spray bars & finished off putting the dividers at the front for the step in the beni soil :victorious:

image-74_zps772cde74.jpg

image-74_zps70534210.jpg

image-74_zps2e3d0a1e.jpg

• HOF Member

Who's been a busy boy then? Looking good Squiggle not long now and it will be up and running:encouragement:

Thanks guys, I've done a bit of maths today too & it's looking like I'll need another bag of soil per tank, doh! :encouragement: I'd love to say that I'll be giving Dean a run for his money but it's only ten tanks & he's got forty, there's no way I can come anywhere near that, lol :victorious:

Thanks guys' date=' I've done a bit of maths today too & it's looking like I'll need another bag of soil per tank, doh! :encouragement: I'd love to say that I'll be giving Dean a run for his money but it's only ten tanks & he's got forty, there's no way I can come anywhere near that, lol :victorious:[/quote']

Yes you have 10 now but what about in a few months or a years time? That 10 could become 100 in no time! :encouragement:

Yes you have 10 now but what about in a few months or a years time? That 10 could become 100 in no time! :encouragement:

I would love to dude but I have to put the brakes on sometime & if I do make another rack, it won't be as big as this one, lol :victorious:

Come on dude, hurry up, I want you to breed me some tbs already :p

Come on dude' date=' hurry up, I want you to breed me some tbs already :p[/quote']

Hahaha, tell ya what Tor, you buy the thirty bags of soil I need to get the tanks running & you can have some of the TB's when they start breeding, lol :victorious: I'm joking by the way but the soil is what's holding me up at the moment :encouragement:

I was privileged to see your work today Good onya mate:encouragement:

Thanks mate, it was great to have you over, even though you did leave you mark on the floor, hahaha :victorious: hope the finger's all good :encouragement:

So it's update time :victorious: I've siliconed the dividers in the sump & put the two tanks in place. I've put the surface on the shelves & I've also put the Benibachi bee max, mineral powder, soil & powder in three tanks & put them in place on the bottom shelf. Three tanks down, seven to go! :encouragement: Enjoy the pics :victorious:

image-74_zpscb944450.jpg

image-74_zps4f248a01.jpg

image-74_zpsa04687b2.jpg

image-74_zpsbb2fcfdc.jpg

Love your updates :) looking good so far!

I see your k1, what else is going in your sump?

this will take forever to fill with RO water, lol!

Before you fill it I'd highly recommend checking how easy it is to get your hands in and out of the front. For me my tanks are a bit tight,

big hand syndrome ;-) But if its comfortable then you should be right. Don't have your hands in that often anyway is the way I figure it

but if it was any less then it would be particularly hard to catch the little buggers, clean glass etc. Just something to bear in mind before

you've filled the tank

Thanks Tor, yes it's going to take days to filter 1300L of RO water. :encouragement: In the second section I'm going to have(from bottom to top) sintered glass noodles, matrix, jap mat, foam sponge then filter wool. Still deciding what I'm going to put in the other sections :victorious:

• HOF Member

Nice neat looking setup Squiggle can't wait to see it finished. You are getting close now.:encouragement:

Before you fill it I'd highly recommend checking how easy it is to get your hands in and out of the front. For me my tanks are a bit tight' date='

big hand syndrome ;-) But if its comfortable then you should be right. Don't have your hands in that often anyway is the way I figure it

but if it was any less then it would be particularly hard to catch the little buggers, clean glass etc. Just something to bear in mind before

you've filled the tank[/quote']

Thanks for the tip dude but it was the first thing I did when I put bot the sumps & the tanks in place, the sumps are a little tight but the tanks are a comfortable fit, can reach all parts of the tanks from either the front or back, depending on what I need to do :victorious:

Thanks Tor' date=' yes it's going to take days to filter 1300L of RO water. :encouragement: In the second section I'm going to have(from bottom to top) sintered glass noodles, matrix, jap mat, foam sponge then filter wool. Still deciding what I'm going to put in the other sections :victorious:[/quote']

I recommend marine pure blocks or spheres, massive surface area! Even if I had the biggest sump in the world I would still want media with he most surface area for bacteria to colonise.

Thanks Tor' date=' yes it's going to take days to filter 1300L of RO water. :encouragement: In the second section I'm going to have(from bottom to top) sintered glass noodles, matrix, jap mat, foam sponge then filter wool. Still deciding what I'm going to put in the other sections :victorious:[/quote']

Sounds good :encouragement:

so coming to visit when it's finished :D

I recommend marine pure blocks or spheres' date=' massive surface area! Even if I had the biggest sump in the world I would still want media with he most surface area for bacteria to colonise.[/quote']

Yeah I thought about getting some 4" blocks & I probably would if I had a higher bioload than shrimp, I've done the maths on this & with 3L of matrix, 20L of K1, 4L of sintered glass noodles & jap mat, sponge & filter wool, it's severely over filtered as it is. Also, at over $100 a block it's money I can put to better use elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, Marine Pure is amazing but with all the stuff I'm using it won't make that much difference :victorious:

The bacteria is only going to colonize as much as the bioload will support, the rest is just mechanical filtration :encouragement:

looking great mate, love the look of the tanks and racks so fare. your one the path to success with those dividers at the front :)

Are you going to put pothos in the sump? I just re read that thread and am thinking about getting some for my sumps. Just a bit worried it might be poisonous to my kitties :/

What's the divider in front of the soil for?

It's a really large feeder dish, lol :encouragement: it's a great section for growing biofilm & then when the shrimplets come down to feed they will be a lot easier to see, count & photograph & it's very easy to syphon out any leftover food as well, also it saves a bit of money on soil too, lol :victorious: I have to thank Dean for the heads up on the idea :victorious: