My racks and shrimp collection

alvinchan80

So Indonesia is burning more forests' date=' to clear land, to grow oil palms and deprive orang-utans of their habitats?[/quote']

erm..... you can say so... or they are clearing their current land to grow new oil palms....

It sucks but people need to live, unfortunately limited land resources, something we take for granted here but can understand where they're coming from. Resources like land are finite, if tourism generated more income than Palm Oil then it wouldn't be burning, that's capitalism for you at it's best. Plus of course all for now and don't plan for long term, take the money and run.

Don't agree with it, but understand why, you use what you have available to you and make the most of it. We're probably one of the worst offenders, look at all the land taken for housing and development, places that had Koalas 20 years ago no longer do. Not just an Australian or Indonesian problem, my birth place of New Zealand is the same, so many species destroyed in the name of advancement.

I'll get of my soapbox now :-)

Hello everyone~

It has been a long weekend and its already Sunday.. Its going to be a start of the week again...

Here is a video of my PRL trying to be Spider-Shrimp.. What he actually did was that he swam to the surface of the water where I have this hatchery net which I placed there for very long (you can tell from the looks of it.. HAHAHA), he climbed up the net and hurdle himself over the net.. Went one round inside and came out.. I only managed to get my phone video ready to capture it on its way out...

So enjoy guys... Hope you guys had a happy weekend and Happy Shrimping always...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHBhwHDM_ns

Thanks for sharing that alvin, excellent capture...Now we can see how excellent climbers they are and not to underestimate them especially when we have no lids on our tanks! A lot of us have lost shrimp due to them being spider shrimp!

Hahaha, cheeky bugger! Very cool vid Alvin, thanks for sharing :victorious:

It sucks but people need to live' date=' unfortunately limited land resources, something we take for granted here but can understand where they're coming from. Resources like land are finite, if tourism generated more income than Palm Oil then it wouldn't be burning, that's capitalism for you at it's best. Plus of course all for now and don't plan for long term, take the money and run.

Don't agree with it, but understand why, you use what you have available to you and make the most of it. We're probably one of the worst offenders, look at all the land taken for housing and development, places that had Koalas 20 years ago no longer do. Not just an Australian or Indonesian problem, my birth place of New Zealand is the same, so many species destroyed in the name of advancement.

I'll get of my soapbox now :-)[/quote']

The difference is we are not polluting our neighbours with foul carbon emissions. And what they are burning is peat as well which will smoulder for years.

Today was the same routine.. Went to my shrimp room.. Feeding and monitoring my shrimps.. (Ok.. I am just staring at them.. Hahaha)

Did some selecting of 'bad' shrimps from PRL and PBL... Then I went to see my fancy tigers/tibee...

Here are some photos..

fc2blog_20130629012812bae.jpgfc2blog_20130629012838ba1.jpgfc2blog_20130629012954448.jpgfc2blog_20130629013005c21.jpg

Then I spotted this little fella.... Took a photo and I went to ask my friend what is this... And it is a PINTO... I am overjoyed.. Now just hope he grows up nicely...

fc2blog_2013062901320810b.jpgfc2blog_201306290132298b3.jpgfc2blog_20130629013247bdc.jpg

Happy shrimping to all and have a good weekend...

Wow Alvin, those pics are awesome! Gotta love that pinto, congrats & I can't wait to see updates as it grows :victorious:

Yes Alvin, hope you can get a close up pic of that pinto. Can't wait to see it grown up :)

Wow Alvin' date=' those pics are awesome! Gotta love that pinto, congrats & I can't wait to see updates as it grows :victorious:[/quote']Thanks Squiggle mate... I just hope that this one and only pinto (I think) will grow up healthy so that I can select her/him for further breeding..Thanks BlueBolts.. I would really want to take a macro but I was so afraid that when I ran to get my camera, she would have gone into hiding.. So took time to just quickly snap with my phone camera...Thank you MrShrimp, I will try my best to 'camp' myself with my DSLR when I can... Haha..Wish me all the best....

Macro macro macro macro .....

great stuff Alvin!

Long time never update my Echinodorus plants..

This species Echinodorus sp Iguazu from Argentina when I gotten end of last year, it wasn't in its best condition.. Leaves slight drooping..

fc2blog_20130704015355815.jpg

Now after some good lightings.. No CO2, no fertilizer... It has grown very nicely with upright leaves and even have new leaves growing...

fc2blog_20130704015559108.jpgfc2blog_201307040156218a5.jpg

See the difference?

I have a couple more Echinodorus sp Satan variants which I will post slowly.. Apologize if I will be taking a little while to show fellow hobbyist..

Happy shrimping (and planting)...

I love the pattern on that sword plant. These are very rare in Australia and very pricy especially the Satan. They do look good in shrimp tanks but I think your bucephalandra looks better :)

Nice Alvin, not seen that variety....BUT your Australian fans are eagerly awaiting macro pics of your pinto's :encouragement: yes, we are very demanding. LOL

Very nice pics Alvin, looks very cool! :encouragement: I'm also with BB, can't wait to see some macros of the pinto's :victorious:

I love the pattern on that sword plant. These are very rare in Australia and very pricy especially the Satan. They do look good in shrimp tanks but I think your bucephalandra looks better :)
I love the patterns too... I think they are rare everywhere... not many people will keep these nice plants though.. wonder why...
Nice Alvin' date=' not seen that variety....BUT your Australian fans are eagerly awaiting macro pics of your pinto's :encouragement: yes, we are very demanding. LOL[/quote']Hahaha... ok Bluebolts & Squiggle bro, i will try to take macro of the little fella soon.. everyday my routine when i step into the shrimp room is to search for this fella before i proceed to do other stuff... hahaha... its like my one and only piece at the moment... I will try to take as soon as possible... hehe...

Every single day since I saw the 'zebra' pinto offspring, the routine upon stepping into my shrimp room will be to find this little fella...

There was a couple of days when I totally cannot find him.. (Visually only of cause..) Decided to leave it to fate.. Then today, while I was scrapping algae off the front glass, I saw him scavenging and he has grown a little... Lets hope he grows up nicely.. :)

fc2blog_2013070703163741f.jpgfc2blog_20130707031646915.jpgfc2blog_20130707031654b31.jpg

Here are some of my other Fancy Tiger/Tibee... Not of the best colors, but shall see if I can improve them in time to come... There has been some F1 of their 2nd batch with some good colorations and different patterns.. But it's too early to say, only way to wait till bigger in size..

fc2blog_2013070703185668b.jpgfc2blog_20130707031911da2.jpgfc2blog_20130707031927dcb.jpgfc2blog_20130707031935569.jpgfc2blog_201307070319434a6.jpg

That's all for now.. Have a great weekend guys..

Happy shrimping!!!

• HOF Member

Hi Alvin bet you were happy to see the little fellow again looks good but we need that macro. Tigers and Tibees seem to be the favourite out here at the moment with a lot of our members venturing into them. It's nice to have shrimp breed and surprise you with variety instead of the same shrimp all the time. As always your shrimp are gorgeous thanks for sharing:encouragement:

Awesome stuff Alvin, that little Pinto is coming along nicely & the Tiger/Tibees look amazing, great work dude :victorious:

Thanks Alvin. That Zebra Pinto looks sooo awesome. Was it the only one looking like that out of the bunch ? What did the others look like ?

Absolutely phenomenal that ia what I want my rack to look like when its done... could u please explain how the front flaps to hide to top of the tanks are attached I am unsure of how to do it.. ur seyup is amazing and your shrimp WOW just wow

Hi Alvin bet you were happy to see the little fellow again looks good but we need that macro. Tigers and Tibees seem to be the favourite out here at the moment with a lot of our members venturing into them. It's nice to have shrimp breed and surprise you with variety instead of the same shrimp all the time. As always your shrimp are gorgeous thanks for sharing:encouragement:
Yeah!! you can guess the disappointment every time when you are 'camping' in front of the tank and unable to see the little fella anywhere.... but once you set your eyes on it' date=' you just feel happy and delighted that nothing bad has gone wrong... I am trying to get the macro lens from my dad.. he is using it... so sorry for the wait....
Thanks for the update Alvin.
its a pleasure ninja...
Awesome stuff Alvin, that little Pinto is coming along nicely & the Tiger/Tibees look amazing, great work dude :victorious:
thank you Squiggle mate...
Thanks Alvin. That Zebra Pinto looks sooo awesome. Was it the only one looking like that out of the bunch ? What did the others look like ?
thanks Bluebolts... I like zebra pinto better then mosura pinto actually... zebra pinto seems to look more unique in their little way...It is the only one out of the whole bunch.. the others have CRS pattern, spotted head tibee, weird looking black colored tibee...
Absolutely phenomenal that ia what I want my rack to look like when its done... could u please explain how the front flaps to hide to top of the tanks are attached I am unsure of how to do it.. ur seyup is amazing and your shrimp WOW just wow
thanks blackcat... which front flaps are you mentioning? if you are talking about the covering which i am using to paste at the opening... then all i am using is a black board and i pasted velcro on the board and on the rack so that the board can be pasted there and remove as and when i want to... (but for all your information, I have stopped using the covering because its a hassle to take out and put back the cover when i am feeding them daily etc.. another issue is that there are heat emitting out from the lights inside, by covering/closing that portion, the heat builds up inside and the tank's water temp go up quite a bit just from the lights...)

I use corflu (purchased from Bunnings for just a few $)....works really well, light, easy to cut, waterproof etc....instead of. Velcro, I use magnets, which works super well.