My racks and shrimp collection

alvinchan80

Very cool Alvin, are they pinto's? Can't wait to see their progress :encouragement:

Very cool Alvin' date=' are they pinto's? Can't wait to see their progress :encouragement:[/quote']

They look like it... But I don't want to give false hope to myself and anyone else.. Haha..

Did someone say pintos ? Lol...looking promising Alvin. Great work.

what leaves is that b your 2nd last pics ?

Did someone say pintos ? Lol...looking promising Alvin. Great work.

what leaves is that b your 2nd last pics ?

Thanks bro BlueBolts... Still working on them... Need lots of work and time...

I think you meant the 'dirty' looking plant... Think I have nutrients deficiency in that tank... That plant is Echinodorus sp...

nice lookin shrimp alvin' date=' hope your program pays off for you[/quote']

Thanks OzShrimp mate...

I do hope that it pays off with some nice shrimps... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been quite awhile since I updated these little fellas.. They have grown up well.. Hope to see more of these soon..

Guess they are close to spotted head tibee.. Too many variations of patterns from them.. But let's see how they grow as they are bigger..

fc2blog_201305270213399e2.jpgfc2blog_201305270213546da.jpgfc2blog_20130527021403430.jpgfc2blog_201305270214144ba.jpgfc2blog_201305270214237f6.jpgfc2blog_2013052702143163e.jpg

Hi Alvin, thanks for the pics. You're right, so many variants = more tanks huh. What are your plans with the Tibee ? Are you crossing them back ? With TB or tiger ?

Awesome pics dude' date=' very nice :victorious:[/quote']Thanks bro... Hehe..You are right! More variants, more things to 'play' end up need spend more money.. (Sad)!!I will be using some if those Tibee to cross back with tibee but try to maintain back the same body patterns.. The rest will try cross with TB to see results... Hehe..(More tanks.. More tanks.. Darn... :p )

Lovely shrimp, I know I said I would not comment on your shrimp no more but can't help it, they are beautiful, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge with us, it is much appreciated! We all know where you are coming from when you say there is never enough tanks but where will it end, how many tanks will make us happy?

Lovely shrimp' date=' I know I said I would not comment on your shrimp no more but can't help it, they are beautiful, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge with us, it is much appreciated! We all know where you are coming from when you say there is never enough tanks but where will it end, how many tanks will make us happy?[/quote']

Thanks bro CNgo for your compliments...

i really hope that i can help more shrimp hobbyist with my experience and knowledge.. i might not be writing everything on the forum, but i would gladly answer questions if i know the answers... :)

Good question about 'how many tanks will make us happy'... i have been thinking about this... there is always a point of 'too much to handle' i believe... for a normal hobbyist, i would say maybe 1-40 tanks would still be manageable.. But what if this hobbyist goes beyond that into the 50, 100 or even more tanks? it would become a form of a business already because i do believe that shrimps do generate some income to cover the expenses or even earn some profits.. I, myself have started a small online business as i have gotten distributorship for 2 Japan brands (not to promote the brand, so please do not zap me.. haha), and i am already feeling the distance from being a 'happy' hobbyist to now that i have to think of profits from this hobby... once there is a business idea involving this hobby, it takes real determination and direction to separate hobby and business..

i am trying my best to balance.. to be a hobbyist to try improve Pure Lines which i am keeping as well as try out new variants (this is very new to me because i told myself i did not want to play with cross breeding before)..

Well, wishing myself all the best!!! hahahaha... Thanks bro CNgo for this highlight... haha... i 'WOKE' myself up again!!!!

Happy Shrimping!!!

That's some wise advice there dude, I made the mistake of making my hobby my business & had a very hard time separating the two & I'd go out all day to do fish stuff, only to come home to do more fish stuff! :dejection: For a while there it felt like I was constantly doing some sort of aquarium thing all day everyday & I had to decide which I wanted more, the hobby or the business? It was a tough choice, the business was making money but I had no life & the hobby made me happy but it meant that I'd have to become an employee again. Wisely I chose happiness & I have never regretted the decision. :encouragement:

I once made a hobby into a career. Within 6 months I hated the hobby and i haven't really done it since. So never again will i mix work and pleasure!

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time sitting and staring at these 'previously' newborns last night..

How they have grown...

fc2blog_20130606111442763.jpgfc2blog_20130606111455565.jpg

Colorations are not very solid.. Still need some time to wait till they are bigger before they are matured before crossing them again for color improvement...

Another 'long' wait..

Wow dude, as always they look stunning, they certainly have grown a lot since the last pics. :D I can't wait to see the results when you cross them for colour improvement, the colour is amazing already :encouragement: Are you trying to create a Pure Alvin Line? lol :victorious:

Wow dude' date=' as always they look stunning, they certainly have grown a lot since the last pics. :D I can't wait to see the results when you cross them for colour improvement, the colour is amazing already :encouragement: Are you trying to create a Pure Alvin Line? lol :victorious:[/quote']

They dont really look that great in color intensity real life... thats why i feel like improving the colors in their offspring either in F2 or F3... especially after seeing what my Taiwan friend has shown in Aquarama 2013 (Singapore) when I took up a booth there... hahaha...

P.A.L sounds not very nice.. haha... But right now, i think my Pure Red Lines has been 'nicely' mixed with gene pool from Taiwan, Thailand and Japan... hahahaha... But there is an issue that when high grade shrimps of different bloodline mixed, their offspring seems to have 'reset' where i am getting banded/vband or some of not so good coloration... so its back to selective breeding again.. to me, i think thats the fun of it, taking my time to slowly breed out shrimps which i am happy about..

I could post some photos of Aquarama 2013 of my booth and shrimps if it is ok... :p

They dont really look that great in color intensity real life... thats why i feel like improving the colors in their offspring either in F2 or F3... especially after seeing what my Taiwan friend has shown in Aquarama 2013 (Singapore) when I took up a booth there... hahaha...

P.A.L sounds not very nice.. haha... But right now' date=' i think my Pure Red Lines has been 'nicely' mixed with gene pool from Taiwan, Thailand and Japan... hahahaha... But there is an issue that when high grade shrimps of different bloodline mixed, their offspring seems to have 'reset' where i am getting banded/vband or some of not so good coloration... so its back to selective breeding again.. to me, i think thats the fun of it, taking my time to slowly breed out shrimps which i am happy about..

I could post some photos of Aquarama 2013 of my booth and shrimps if it is ok... :p[/quote']

Would love see some photos Alvin. If they are allowed.

P.A.L sounds not very nice.. haha... But right now' date=' i think my Pure Red Lines has been 'nicely' mixed with gene pool from Taiwan, Thailand and Japan... hahahaha... But there is an issue that when high grade shrimps of different bloodline mixed, their offspring seems to have 'reset' where i am getting banded/vband or some of not so good coloration... so its back to selective breeding again.. to me, i think thats the fun of it, taking my time to slowly breed out shrimps which i am happy about..

I could post some photos of Aquarama 2013 of my booth and shrimps if it is ok... :p[/quote']

OMG yes please! I was supposed to go to Aquarama this year but I started to build my rack & well.....the rest, as they say, is history. I was told there was some pretty nice shrimp there, would love to see some pics :victorious:

I can't wait to see the results after using F2 or F3, the colour should strengthen quite rapidly :encouragement:

How about PCL then? Hahaha :congratulatory: I know exactly what you mean, I breed bettas as well & I lost the only female of my red halfmoons I had left & had to buy another one to keep my program going, it had taken 3 generations to get rid of all the blue iridescence & the first spawn I had with the new female brought it all back, so I've been working to get rid of it again. bringing in new blood strengthens the genes but takes away from desirable traits you work so hard for, catch twenty two :dejection:

I close this post so as not to have conflict of interests with other stores or sponsors.. :)

Hope everyone don't mind.. :p

Awesome stuff Alvin, love the little display tanks, hope you had fun there :encouragement: