Disciples Tank Journal

Disciple

Looks like its time to bug the Wife for a new tank haha. Or get rid of some shrimp .... Noooooo!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Disciple said:

Looks like its time to bug the Wife for a new tank haha. Or get rid of some shrimp .... Noooooo!

If you need to clear out those red rilis I would be happy to give them a good home :)

• Like 1

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 8:16 AM, JacksonL said:

If you need to clear out those red rilis I would be happy to give them a good home :)

My rili's are any good yet. This is the only lot of shrimp that i start from culls.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a couple of weeks since the last update.

I have finally gotten my water parameters where i want them since coming back from my holidays.

My fire/suraka reds have settled in. Its taken 6 weeks but they are looking great if i do say do myself.

The oebt are doing great. A lot of shrimplets are becoming juvies. Feeding time is going to produce some epic shrimp balls in a month or so ehen they become adults.

Never thought that I would say this but it seems the tank is getting full. I will have to let some of these babies go.

Anyways i hope you enjoy the pics.

20160207_213907.thumb.jpg.37c96a2b59fde820160207_214025.thumb.jpg.c7efbdfe35a2c520160207_213831.thumb.jpg.565a8d8acd63e620160207_213840.thumb.jpg.66218426f17be920160207_213853.thumb.jpg.f2865078e9f41c20160207_213941.thumb.jpg.799a6c439cf45d20160206_224225.thumb.jpg.7a578e7c130b5920160206_203448.thumb.jpg.4e010f46dceccb20160206_203507.thumb.jpg.b66a55df929112received_1180267938653501.thumb.jpeg.13620160207_213822.thumb.jpg.70ebc2d5abf38a

• Like 3

that's a nice little buce you have there what type is it?

the fire reds look great dude! 

• Like 1

looking good D! how is it starting with culls? im going to have to do that because im broke. lol. any advise?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buck said:

that's a nice little buce you have there what type is it?

the fire reds look great dude! 

Thanks Buck,

I have totally forgotten. They grow painfully slow haha. Hopefully I can get it to flower one day.

7 hours ago, shrimpaholich said:

looking good D! how is it starting with culls? im going to have to do that because im broke. lol. any advise?

Thanks Shrimpaholich,

It is frustrating as anything haha. Nowadays I just buy the best shrimp I can find instead of starting with culls. I have had the rili for almost two years and they aren't even close to breeding true let alone being a consistent high grade. I get the occasional decent shrimp but too many culls.

I started with around 30 or 40 culls. I let them breed up to around 300 shrimp then I picked the best 6 females and best 4 males. Since then I have been culling shrimplets as they mature into juvies when they don't have the proper rili pattern. I do get the occasional stunner but very few and far between.

There has been progress but it has been a lot of effort especial if you miss a rubbish male and he starts breeding. haha

So the moral of the story if you want good looking shrimp start with the best.

• Like 2

Taking it to the next level

Welcome to Disciple Shrimp Youtube Channel haha

I thought you guys might enjoy a video.

Edited by Disciple
  • Like 3

:i-can-fly: those BB & OEBTs in the 3rd section? this video was the best part of my vacation so far. 

9 hours ago, shrimpaholich said:

:i-can-fly: those BB & OEBTs in the 3rd section? this video was the best part of my vacation so far. 

Haha Thanks I take that as a big compliment. I am sure there is better entertainment on a vacation then my video haha.

The BB's are with Chocolate/Black cherries in the middle section. If you wanna see the tiger tank video that is in my other journal. :)  

ah alright! similar looking. i saw the tiger tank video :)!!! subscribed to the channel also. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on section 1.

Blue Dreams and PRL. I have Not taken many pictures of my Cherries and focused on my other shrimp so this time I wanted to share more cherry pics.

20160309_220802.thumb.jpg.45721656fd676e20160309_220818.thumb.jpg.4f24b5f93f662b20160309_220827.thumb.jpg.9a82bdc165e6a620160309_220834.thumb.jpg.4385b65186a45c20160309_220843.thumb.jpg.805b357b54e0ef20160309_220907.thumb.jpg.3547b632626ee420160309_220928.thumb.jpg.5a564f70039cd8

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2016 at 0:27 AM, i_katrafilov said:

What thank dividers do you use?

Hello @i_katrafilov The dividers I use to divide the tanks are Acrylic sheets with the middle cut out and replaced with fine SS mesh.

The dividers in each section is made from glass.

Took a new video of the tank. I hope you guys enjoy.

https://youtu.be/Z9dlOxolep4?list=UUHG7oLzKM22gMUIIticKoaw

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks Nogi

Nice setup do they shrimps have any difficulties moving across the division. Have you noticed any difference using the oxydator ?

Hello @fernselvis

The shrimp have not managed to move between division at all. I do keep my water levels about 3 cm from the top of the divider.

Yes I love Oxydators I see a lot of difference in shrimp activity when the oxydators are empty compared to when they are full.

25 minutes ago, fernselvis said:

Nice setup do they shrimps have any difficulties moving across the division. Have you noticed any difference using the oxydator ?

Hi thank you for your reply. I was referring to one of the earlier pictures with a 4'' glass division not the one with mesh. I thought I saw an image. Will try the oxydator need to ship it not locally available

27 minutes ago, fernselvis said:

Hi thank you for your reply. I was referring to one of the earlier pictures with a 4'' glass division not the one with mesh. I thought I saw an image. Will try the oxydator need to ship it not locally available

Sorry man

Yeah they are fine it more for me to separate the planted areas.

Ok thnx. I just divided my tank using glass and silicon but I think I got it a bit higher thank I wanted. 4 inches from the bottom. Was planning to add a in gravel filter followed by 2 '' of sl Aqua soil may now have to fill up 3.5'' or Leave it like your tank. Other side a partially bare bottom a bit for soil just to cover the glass.

• Like 1

Thanks man

So you a trying to use the Taiwanese style breeding set up?

Do you have pics? 

Thanks man

So you a trying to use the Taiwanese style breeding set up?

Do you have pics? 

Hi Disciple

Will upload some once I start setting then up. Just finished gluing the glass, cleaning the silicon at the moment.

I wanted to go down the Taiwanese way but didn't find enough information on setting to setup (if you have some info let me know). No I'm just splitting it coz it will be easier to maintain.