TheKeeper

Co2 in a planted shrimp tank

TheKeeper

Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-

1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced

2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 

3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)

WhySoCRS

You can turn the CO2 off at lights out mate, u don’t need it during the night when there is no lighting period.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

jayc

@TheKeeper, it is very difficult keeping plants and shrimp together in a high light/high fert tank. It's one or the other. A compromise is needed. 

Since you don't want to spend money to fix the overnight CO2 gassing, then then shrimp has to go.

Alternatively, I question how many plants you can have in a 6gal the needs co2.

What plants do you have?

Can you change them to low light mosses, ferns or subwassertang?

@WhySoCRS, you can't turn off DIY co2. It keeps producing co2 in the bottle until all the sugar is consumed. If it is blocked to stop the bubbles from coming out, the bottle explodes!

• Like 1

TheKeeper

I can stop it by releasing all the pressure in it before bed. meaning it actually wont bubble again for 4-8 hours till the pressure builds up again. Thus delaying the co2 build up. Any suggestions for a cheaper co2 delivery system? Cause im very interested in having the full carpet on the bottom and i love the stunning green co2 provides.

@jayc Also, its very do-able to have both shrimp and a planted tank, I see it done to often.

I currently have S-repens (carpeted), and ill be adding  Pogostemon helferi, mayaca fluviatilis

icon_difficulty_Medium.png

Edited by TheKeeper

jayc
32 minutes ago, TheKeeper said:

Pogostemon helferi

Love the Pogo. You will have to post some pics. Pleeaassseeeee.

I didn't say it was not doable. It's difficult and requires a lot of attention. As long as you can maintain a tight regime of monitoring water parameters for both shrimp and plants, then it's doable. But alas, I'm lazy and busy. 

36 minutes ago, TheKeeper said:

Any suggestions for a cheaper co2 delivery system?

Don't know of a cheap system. You'll need something with a electronic solenoid on a CO2 tank that will shut off at nights.

TheKeeper

@jayc Thanks for the help and advice, here in a couple of weeks once I get the system up and going and deside on what to do I will definitely post pictures!

WhySoCRS

Yeah I misread this as DIY CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

bristlenose

why don't you remove the co2 diffuser at night? and just put it back in the morning. Sure it'll be a slight hassle but its better than gassing your shrimp, there's no need to release all of the pressure from your diy co2 kit. Alternatively you can leave it in and just purchase an air pump($10-$15 for the cheapest ones) and turn it on at night, I believe it'll be very difficult to produce enough co2 from a diy kit to gas your tank as long as their is an air pump running aswell. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • bristlenose
      By bristlenose
      Hi, I've kept Red cherry shrimp for at least 3 years. I've never had a problem with them. I used to keep my shrimp in 500l tank but i got careless while buying plants and introduced planaria into my aquarium. I only noticed after the numbers got out of hand and i noticed the shrimp deaths adding up. I moved 200-300 shrimp into a standard 4ft tank planted aquarium and dosed with noplanaria along with melafix to ward off any bacterial infections. There were multiple dozens of shrimp shells all over after being moved. Initially i believed it may have been the planaria/bacterial/constant water changes/stress of new environment(i drip acclimated them for a 5 hours) that was killing them but i haven't changed the water in a 2 months but i still get the occasional death, 1 or 2 every few days. There are decent amounts of cuttlebone in the filter and also in the aquarium itself, and i also feed them the occasional powdered egg shells but i still get molting problems. Adults and also the month olds are dying, no discrimination. They're fed every other day shrimp snow, high protein discus granules and zucchini/pumpkin/spinach/dry seaweed every 3-4 days. I can see many berried females and small shrimp and also babies but i'm still losing shrimp constantly, easily 80+ in total. I don't want to buy a gh/kh test, they have never had any problems with molting in their last aquarium so can't quite understand why they're having problems now in the 150l. I've read so much online but i can't seem to find an answer, i'd sincerely appreciate any advice i can get. Thank you so much if you've managed to read all of this. Please feel free to ask any questions. The photo is from the current setup they're in.
      Previous tank parameters:
      Ammonia: 0 
      nitrite: 0 
      nitrates: 20ppm
      Ph: 8
      substrate: sand 
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      I don't know any other parameters.  cuttlebone in the tank and filter, no ferts, heavily infested with guppy grass. Large colony of bristlenose. 
      New tank parameters:
      ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrates:30-40ppm 
      co2: 3-4 bps 
      Ph: 6.5
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      substrate: ada aquasoil
      The new tank is heavily planted and dosed with root tabs and liquid ferts. Cuttlebone in the tank and filter. 6 large pieces of seiryu stone 17kg (i doubt they're authentic so they're some kind of limestone) Shrimp only tank

• Seattleshrimp
      By Seattleshrimp
      Hi ! 
      I have a ton of extra Java moss that I got from a lfs near me. I covered all of my driftwood already and made some stainless steal mesh carpets with them. 
      What else should I do with them ? Can I just leave them free floating in my tank ? 

Thanks for any suggestions ! 
    • Seattleshrimp
      By Seattleshrimp
      Hi ! 
      I live in Seattle where the water is incredibly soft and I have a tap water pH of 6.7, GH of 0-1 and KH 2. My existing tank with plants already has buffered substrate. Would I have better chance of keeping CRS than RCS with my current water parameters ? Or would RCS do okay?    I do have an RO system already, and I could  remineralize my water with salty shrimp KH/GH+. Which would allow my GH and KH parameter to be okay for neocaridinas, but I already have a tank with active substrate. I’m 100% I don’t have space to set up another tank with inert substrate.    Would do you recommend ? What are pH you have successfully kept neocaridinas and have them thriving ?    Thanks ! I appreciate all the help as I am new to the hobby. 

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Steensj2004
      Update for anyone interested.Rock was removed, Ph and TDS is down, over the last few days it’s crept down to around 190TDs after small water changes. Something that want happening with even larger changes before. PH seems to be down around 6.5. I hope it stays at that level, all inhabitants look to be doing well.
    • Cesar
      IME, the healthiest and highest quality has always buying directly from hobbyist, usually a small setup in their garage or fish room. Next was specialty store/importer, last is the local TFS, both often having stock that has been imported, transported and kept in less than ideal conditions... Buying directly from hobbyist has always produced the best results for me...
    • Steensj2004
      Did boil a few times, the water wasn’t completely clear when I stopped cleaning it. So they should be getting some tannins. I was able to remove all but one rock, I have one more piece to put in in its plAce today.   Right on. I’m originally from Ohio, and I’ve been scoping out Flip’s videos and website for a few weeks now. Looks like I’ll be ordering from either Flip or AquaHuna after I get this tank works out completely.   TDS is already down slightly after removing the rock and doing a small water change. I also took the opportunity to remove some plants I wasn’t a fan of and replace them. Indian Almond Leaves came in today too, but my BacterAE is delayed. Thanks Amazon.🙄🙄
    • Goshio22
      Its about 1 cm its definitely of breeding age.. i would be happy if its male, but my eyes is untrained when it comes to fully colored males.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would think that is a male IF it is old enough to be able to tell but I think it is maybe too young to tell? This video should give you some handy tips for seeing the differences! https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14104-telling-male-from-female-shrimp/ Simon