Sign in to follow this  
TheKeeper

Co2 in a planted shrimp tank

TheKeeper

Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-

1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced

2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 

3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)

WhySoCRS

You can turn the CO2 off at lights out mate, u don’t need it during the night when there is no lighting period.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

jayc

@TheKeeper, it is very difficult keeping plants and shrimp together in a high light/high fert tank. It's one or the other. A compromise is needed. 

Since you don't want to spend money to fix the overnight CO2 gassing, then then shrimp has to go.

Alternatively, I question how many plants you can have in a 6gal the needs co2.

What plants do you have?

Can you change them to low light mosses, ferns or subwassertang?

@WhySoCRS, you can't turn off DIY co2. It keeps producing co2 in the bottle until all the sugar is consumed. If it is blocked to stop the bubbles from coming out, the bottle explodes!

• Like 1

TheKeeper

I can stop it by releasing all the pressure in it before bed. meaning it actually wont bubble again for 4-8 hours till the pressure builds up again. Thus delaying the co2 build up. Any suggestions for a cheaper co2 delivery system? Cause im very interested in having the full carpet on the bottom and i love the stunning green co2 provides.

@jayc Also, its very do-able to have both shrimp and a planted tank, I see it done to often.

I currently have S-repens (carpeted), and ill be adding  Pogostemon helferi, mayaca fluviatilis

icon_difficulty_Medium.png

Edited by TheKeeper

jayc
32 minutes ago, TheKeeper said:

Pogostemon helferi

Love the Pogo. You will have to post some pics. Pleeaassseeeee.

I didn't say it was not doable. It's difficult and requires a lot of attention. As long as you can maintain a tight regime of monitoring water parameters for both shrimp and plants, then it's doable. But alas, I'm lazy and busy. 

36 minutes ago, TheKeeper said:

Any suggestions for a cheaper co2 delivery system?

Don't know of a cheap system. You'll need something with a electronic solenoid on a CO2 tank that will shut off at nights.

TheKeeper

@jayc Thanks for the help and advice, here in a couple of weeks once I get the system up and going and deside on what to do I will definitely post pictures!

WhySoCRS

Yeah I misread this as DIY CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Shrimp Keepers Forum

bristlenose

why don't you remove the co2 diffuser at night? and just put it back in the morning. Sure it'll be a slight hassle but its better than gassing your shrimp, there's no need to release all of the pressure from your diy co2 kit. Alternatively you can leave it in and just purchase an air pump($10-$15 for the cheapest ones) and turn it on at night, I believe it'll be very difficult to produce enough co2 from a diy kit to gas your tank as long as their is an air pump running aswell. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• SonoranStorm
      By SonoranStorm
      Hi all.
      So some background
      My 10g tank has:
      Blue Dreams
      Amanos
      1 Cardinia that stowed away in a plant shipment I got
      3 Rainbow Paskais
      1 Celestial Danio
      Phoenix Moss
      Crinum Calamistratum (Onion Plant)
      Nymphaea Zenkeri (Tiger Lotus)
      Bolbitis Heudelotii (Creeping Fern)
      Eleocharis sp. Mini (Mini Dwarf Hairgrass )
      Micranthemum (Monte Carlo)
      A random piece of Subwasstertang
      algea but i dont want that
      The overall goal of this tank is to be a shrimp tank with the neos and maybe a species of Caridina once I'm a little more experienced. But I have a hard time keeping the neos alive a friend who owns the LFS ive been buying them at recommended i try buying from a local shrimper because his shrimp might be more well suited to the local water than the shrimp he buys from abroad because he thinks its weird that im having a tough time with Neos. So I did just that when i met up with him he told me co2 might be the issue since it makes the water acidic and makes molting hard and it makes the water parameters more unstable so I stopped using Co2 for the time being and the shrimp look healthy. But the issue is I would like to keep using Co2 for the benefits to the plants and because id like to keep the carpet ive been working on.
      Current Parameters
      Temp: 74.5 F/ 23.6 C
      Ph: Between 6 and 6.4 (im bad at colors) but its yellow (API Test)
      Kh: 4 drops the chat says 4 degrees 71 PPM
      Gh: 6 drops the chart says 6 degrees 107 PPM
      TDS: Waiting on a meter from amazon.
      Lights are on between 4 PM and 9:30 PM for those who don't do the military time. Bellow are the spectral percentages of light if this helps anyone.
      Any advice on how and if I should add Co2?

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Crabby
      Just noticed you said 'thinking of adding tigers, would caridina work as well?' or something of the sort, just checking that you are aware that tigers are a species of the genus caridina? Those parameters should work brilliantly though for tigers and probably most other dwarf caridina (as opposed to like aussie natives or amanos and stuff). Tank looks fantastic!
    • Crabby
      Stand looks terrific!!! Love the spot for the cat too! 😂
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That looks great and I'm sure shrimps will be very happy exploring and grazing in there. I look forward to hearing how it goes this time. I don't think anyone over here is sending shrimps (or fish) at the moment so I am not planning to get anything here soon, the fish are doing well in that tank, and there is 1 red steel shrimp survivor which shows itself occassionally? Simon  
    • LCM94
      now the upload seems to be working with a 2Mb file ... but initially 6Mb seemed to big (popup with a "-200" error message, whatever that means 😐)  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to see you back and hopefully this time all will go well! Tiger shrimp would probably be best as a TESTER as they are less fragile and more adaptable to different parameters than Taiwan bee, so I would get a small group of those and see how that goes at this stage, you can change (or mix?) to the Taiwan bee if all works for a few months? With the correct parameters the PH should stay stable unless there is something like rocks that alter the PH. Using RO water plus the shrimp minerals will provide all the parameters at a set balance. I'm not aware of any changes since you posted the pctures back in April so can only assume it may be file size related, can you do one at 1mb or below? Simon