Clicky

Sign in to follow this  
Shrimpo

My first Aquascape

Shrimpo

AquTankPlacidityFP112-03_edited.jpg

This was my first ever attempt at Aquascaping.

A few years ago I pulled it down and created my second Terrascape.

Shrimpo

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• jc12
      By jc12
      I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from past and present members who have contributed to this forum. Thank you.
      This is my first 'real' post and I hope this would help anyone who might be considering building a rack themselves. As requested by @Disciple, hope this helps you too.
      Just a bit of background on my experience. My only previous build attempt was for a stand and sump for a 4x2x2. It was my first build dabbling with staining wood and using silicon for sump baffles, etc. As you can see from the photos below, they are pretty amateurish but I am happy for how it turned out as a first attempt. Next step is to fit some doors to it.
      The stand was built following this video by King of DIY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ
      Anyway, this gives you an idea of the level of experience I have before I embark on my ambitious attempt to build a rack.
      Below are some photos of my 4x2x2, sump and stand build, and some of its inhabitants. Sorry they are not shrimp related and not of great quality taken using my phone.

Stand and sump

Filled up and planted.

Display tank front view.

Display tank side view.

With background in place and tank inhabitants added consisting of altum flora discus, german blue rams, panda corydoras, cardinal tetras, otocinclus, red cherry shrimps, darwin algae shrimps and darwin red nose shrimps.

Altum flora discus.

Panda corydoras.

German blue rams with their fry.

I have browsed many build threads including some from here and have built on my ideas collectively from different sources. The specific post from @BlueBolts here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/1415-breeding-rack-no2/ has inspired me greatly and I would like to acknowledge that.
      I followed the DIY rack build as outlined here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/7063-diy-rack-for-under-50-in-under-2hrs/

The plan, materials, and costs
      This rack will be located in the lounge room so it has to be 'display-ish' quality and light from it must not interfere with the TV or be too blinding to people sitting around the lounge room. Also, no unsightly hoses/pipes are to be seen. I managed to convince the Minister for Home Affairs that a canister filter and chiller by definition, is not categorised as hoses or pipes, and would be in no way unsightly. The LED display from the chiller would provide subtle mood lighting, and the gentle humming of the filter and soft soothe whirling of the chiller fan would be therapeutic for lounge surfers, and would also greatly enhance movie watching experience with enriched sound depth and effects.
      Hence I received approval to have a canister filter and chiller located next to the rack.
      I used 5 x 5.4m long 90x45mm MGP10 untreated structural pine bought and cut to size from Masters for $83.75. I find Masters generally sells timber cheaper than Bunnings. Since I have both of them close to where I live, I selectively buy what I need from where it is cheaper.
      The frame is held together by 10-8 x 75mm zinc plated countersunk screws. I bought a box of 250 screws from Bunnings for $27.50.
      The rack measures 1390 x 420 x 2200 mm (L x W x H). The plan is to hold 2 x 2'x15"x15" tanks on the top and middle tier each, and a 4'x15"x15" hospital/quarantine/grow out/sump tank on the bottom tier.
      Each tank would be insulated by 20mm foam around the sides, back and base as I plan to run both tropical (28-30 degrees C) and chilled (22-24 degrees C) tanks on this rack. Plumbing for air and sump would be hidden within the frame.

Please disregard the mess in the background. Still sorting out stuff in the garage after the move.
      From this:

To this:

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hello,
      Ive noticed I had some equipment laying around that needed to be put to better use, and after settling in my half a dozen or so new shrimp colonies and other tanks, I figure I'll get to scaling it. 
      Ive cleaned up an old 50cm Long tank and cut a glass brace for this light to sit on, Was a standard 3ft tropical PL compact flouro light, one ballast stopped working ages back so I cut it out and halved the unit,  and the other has powered along for over a year now with a new globe.
      I've Got that light 36w, my 1L Ista co2 bottle just behind it, Aquaone 650 canister filter- which I'm putting a glass skimmer on, a standard glass heater, and drop checker.- That's about it for equipment, I'm contemplating adding a sotching oxydator I bought from newbreed aquatics closing down sale.
      Looking for some nice lava rock as I want to keep the kh quite low in this one, most of my other tanks have had seiryu or something else reactive, and I find plants like anubias and buce grip much better into light pourous stone like lava rock. 
      I've got a fresh bag of Black earth to go in there when I do find the lava rock, till then.

• newbreed
      By newbreed
      Our manufacturer of Mesh Moss Ledges has recently discontinued the line, so in place we are pleased to announce the arrival of their new 3D Printed Moss Ledge Range.
      Made from aquarium safe resins, your shrimp will love these as much as the originals.
      Same dimensions at 5cm x 5cm Square or 5cm diameter Round.
      They retail at $4 each. 
      Introductory offer for the next week is buy 7 get one free.
      Or....
      8 for $28.

They have been designed for easy removal for trimming and maintenance, just twist plate and it detaches from suction cap.

Express Post is $7.50
      http://newbreedaquatics.com.au/planted-tanks/aquascaping-tools
      Dont forget your Skf coupon code to receive a further 10% discount. ?

I know what I will be doing this week, as I have sooo much flame moss!! Enjoy!!

View full article
    • newbreed
      By newbreed
      Our manufacturer of Mesh Moss Ledges has recently discontinued the line, so in place we are pleased to announce the arrival of their new 3D Printed Moss Ledge Range.
      Made from aquarium safe resins, your shrimp will love these as much as the originals.
      Same dimensions at 5cm x 5cm Square or 5cm diameter Round.
      They retail at $4 each. 
      Introductory offer for the next week is buy 7 get one free.
      Or....
      8 for $28.

They have been designed for easy removal for trimming and maintenance, just twist plate and it detaches from suction cap.

Express Post is $7.50
      http://newbreedaquatics.com.au/planted-tanks/aquascaping-tools
      Dont forget your Skf coupon code to receive a further 10% discount. ?

I know what I will be doing this week, as I have sooo much flame moss!! Enjoy!!
    • jc12
      By jc12
      I recently acquired a couple of 3D moss ledges from @newbreed Aquatics (https://newbreedaquatics.com.au/planted-tanks/aquascaping-tools) with the thought of trialing them and organising my moss collection neatly.

When I received them, I was impressed with the quality of the mesh and didn't want to use them for the 'common' moss like java, peacock, flame, etc. so I kept them aside and told myself to look for a 'worthy' moss for it when I get a chance.

Fast forward to this week, I was fortunate enough to be offered some rare cameroon moss from a generous SKF member. That's right... you can see where this is leading to.

The mesh is made of a thick plastic material and feels really sturdy, unlike typical stainless steel mesh which is flimsy and bends easily. This makes holding and working with it easy and comfortable, especially with my big clumsy fingers.

The mesh can be detached from the suction cup by twisting it 90 degrees and pulling it out. This means the suction cup could be left on the glass if you want to only remove the mesh for trimming/propagating the moss. Perhaps this would prolong the lifespan of the suction cup. Only time will tell.

The edge of the mesh has notches which makes tying the mesh extremely easy and neat. I really like it.

I generally do not trust suction cups... e.g. heater suction cups, metacube suction cups, etc. and this is no exception. While the suction cup is of a typical size (wish it is larger), it is soft, supple and feels quality, unlike some hard rubbery suction cups that come with cheap heaters. The suction cup stuck on to the glass without any issue, and time will tell if it will hold up well. I am reserving my verdict for the suction cup at this stage.

Overall, I am quite pleased with this moss ledge, especially how easy it is to hold, work with it, and tie it guided by those notches. Aesthetically, I would have preferred a white or transparent suction cup. 

A suggestion perhaps is to sell replacement suction cups separately should they are required to be replaced, especially since the suction cup is designed to fit the rectangular groove of the mesh.

A well thought out product, quality made and well priced.
  • Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      You know the deal Kingo, post pics of your shrimp eating it.
    • Baccus
      I saw a post for blue glass shrimp on a certain online fish selling site and wondered if anyone else had seen them or even purchased them? I was pretty certain the only time glass shrimp go red or blue is stress induced. And when I looked at the supplied photo the shrimp appears white bodied under the blue. Is my suspicion on the health of the shrimp correct? Thoughts?
    • Kingo
      Another brilliant read. Thanks for your input @jayc!  Can’t wait to try it out. 
    • shrimps
      Thank you for your input!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Shrimp Keepers Forum mobile app

• jayc
      You can cross breed them with any other Palaemonetes species.  But it's not worth it. They are generally clear bodied and the result will be the same, a clear bodied shrimp. Trying to cross breed them with Caridina or Neocaridina, will result in rather bland looking shrimp as well. So not much reward for the effort.