3D Moss Ledge

jc12

I recently acquired a couple of 3D moss ledges from @newbreed Aquatics (https://newbreedaquatics.com.au/planted-tanks/aquascaping-tools) with the thought of trialing them and organising my moss collection neatly.

When I received them, I was impressed with the quality of the mesh and didn't want to use them for the 'common' moss like java, peacock, flame, etc. so I kept them aside and told myself to look for a 'worthy' moss for it when I get a chance.

Fast forward to this week, I was fortunate enough to be offered some rare cameroon moss from a generous SKF member. That's right... you can see where this is leading to.

The mesh is made of a thick plastic material and feels really sturdy, unlike typical stainless steel mesh which is flimsy and bends easily. This makes holding and working with it easy and comfortable, especially with my big clumsy fingers.

IMG_6225_1.jpg

The mesh can be detached from the suction cup by twisting it 90 degrees and pulling it out. This means the suction cup could be left on the glass if you want to only remove the mesh for trimming/propagating the moss. Perhaps this would prolong the lifespan of the suction cup. Only time will tell.

IMG_6226_1.jpg

The edge of the mesh has notches which makes tying the mesh extremely easy and neat. I really like it.

IMG_6228_1.jpg

I generally do not trust suction cups... e.g. heater suction cups, metacube suction cups, etc. and this is no exception. While the suction cup is of a typical size (wish it is larger), it is soft, supple and feels quality, unlike some hard rubbery suction cups that come with cheap heaters. The suction cup stuck on to the glass without any issue, and time will tell if it will hold up well. I am reserving my verdict for the suction cup at this stage.

IMG_6231_1.jpg

Overall, I am quite pleased with this moss ledge, especially how easy it is to hold, work with it, and tie it guided by those notches. Aesthetically, I would have preferred a white or transparent suction cup. 

A suggestion perhaps is to sell replacement suction cups separately should they are required to be replaced, especially since the suction cup is designed to fit the rectangular groove of the mesh.

A well thought out product, quality made and well priced.

• Like 5

Hi @jc12,

This is the ElevateShrimp 2.0 model. They look awesome, and so does your moss. I am surprised that they changed the suction cups on this model. The first model does not have the notches on the side, but it has awesome suction cups that are oversized and incredibly strong. Looking forward to see how they work for you???

• Like 2

Great write up @jc12

I look forward to your feedback regarding the suction caps, I will enquire with supplier for spares, a great idea.

Instead of a white suction cap, I have on order a black version. I think aesthetically they should work for many peoples tanks.

image.jpg

@KeenShrimp These are from a different supplier to Elevate shrimp, but yes a very similar piece with different refinements.

Other items on their way include a 10x5 double ledge (black and white) and vertical moss wall 10x5cm (black and white). The picture below is of the oval version, I have opted for a rectangular unit instead.

Hopefully on hand in a couple of weeks time. ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks again jc! Look forward to seeing that Cameroon moss growing lush!!!

Edited by newbreed
  • Like 2

Great write up! I definitely think that the black looks better. I like the look of how the actual mesh part connects to the suction cap so its not just gonna fall off. 

Great to see simple things progress for the better

• Like 1

The black one looks really good especially since most of my tanks have a black background!

I am very very keen on the vertical moss wall. I imagine weeping moss on it would look really nice! Can't wait!

@newbreed, please let us know when these gets here. Thank you. ☺️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jc12 said:

The black one looks really good especially since most of my tanks have a black background!

I am very very keen on the vertical moss wall. I imagine weeping moss on it would look really nice! Can't wait!

@newbreed, please let us know when these gets here. Thank you. ☺️

You know I will sing out when they arrive in! ?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, newbreed said:

You know I will sing out when they arrive in! 1f60a.png

Are you getting the black moss wall ones ?

58 minutes ago, OzShrimp said:

Are you getting the black moss wall ones ?

Yes. Black will be available in all styles. 

Only limited numbers to test the waters, but have a feeling black may be popular! 

Im with you jc my initial thought was weeping on the verticals would look awesome. Keep us posted for when these arrive [emoji1303]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet I like them but cant get any right now lol :) thanks for thinking of me though 

• 1 month later...

Just an update. Cameroon moss is growing well and I have started a series of other moss on new ledges. Love these ledges.

01cd0e2efa5c4e42286611c5d635c5f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk