wot_fan's 1st shrimp tank

wot_fan

Congrats. What shrimp did you get?

Pics of the shrimp?

I ended up getting 13 Yellow/Orange Rilis.  At least that is what I ordered :D.  The shrimp I received are all pretty small.  Most of them aren't showing much color yet.  

The lights just on a few minutes ago.  So I haven't had a chance to try to photograph them yet.  I will try to get some shots in a little while.  I can tell already that it may be a challenge to get a good pic though.

Wahoo!! Fantastic stuff dude! :thumbsu:

Thanks.  It is really cool to finally see shrimp in the tank.  Hopefully they will be happy in their new home.

I found the molt of one of the shrimp in the drip acclimation container after the shrimp had been moved in to the tank.  I put it into the tank instead of throwing it out with the water.  I have read that the shrimp will sometimes eat it.  Should I remove it?

Should I remove it?

Nah, you're fine leaving the moulted shell in.

You're right, the shrimp will sometimes eat it. 

I forgot to mention that I added 2 nerite and 2 mystery snails when I added the shrimp.  Here is one of the mystery snails.

Blue_Mystery_Snail.jpg

Here are the decent shots I have been able to take of the shrimp so far.

IMG_7329.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

Here are two shots of the nicest shrimp I have seen so far.

IMG_7371.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

EDIT: It looks like I have at least one female

IMG_7425.jpg

Edited by wot_fan

Love the shrimp man! Congrats!

Can't wait for the berried shrimp photos that will come.

Btw If you thought the waiting for a tank to cycle was long it'll drive you nuts waiting for the first lot of shrimplets to hatch lol. :D

:startle:

Awesome pics dude, very very nice shrimp! Now the fun begins. :thumbsu:

Thanks Squiggle.  

Love the shrimp man! Congrats!

Can't wait for the berried shrimp photos that will come.

Btw If you thought the waiting for a tank to cycle was long it'll drive you nuts waiting for the first lot of shrimplets to hatch lol. :D

Thanks Disciple.  I am very happy with the quality of the shrimp I received.  

I can't wait for shrimplets.  For now though, I will be happy just keeping them alive :D.  

It may be a while before I have any berried girls.  Most of the shrimp I received are pretty small.  At what age do RCS become sexually mature?

Birth lol....

I think around 3 months? Depends on how quick they grow ( food supply, temperature).

I know they are like Pringles once they pop they can't stop. In fact I'm have great difficulty trying to get them out of one of my tanks.

I think I'll just fish out the crystals instead and let them own the tank.

Love your work btw.

Edited by inverted

Birth lol....

I think around 3 months? Depends on how quick they grow ( food supply, temperature).

I know they are like Pringles once they pop they can't stop. In fact I'm have great difficulty trying to get them out of one of my tanks.

I think I'll just fish out the crystals instead and let them own the tank.

Love your work btw.

Thanks inverted.  I appreciate the info.

Here a few more pictures.

IMG_7620.jpg

IMG_7607.jpg

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7652.jpg

Nice  Rillis.

They seem to be enjoying the algae that you were so worried about and intent on removing.

See, told you they would enjoy it.

Nice  Rillis.

They seem to be enjoying the algae that you were so worried about and intent on removing.

See, told you they would enjoy it.

Thanks.  You were definitely right.  So far they seem happy in my tank.  I could see 8 of them at one time tonight so if any have died, it can't be many.

Thanks again for your help.

It is day 42 and the tank is progressing nicely.  The shrimp seem to be happy.  As far as I know I haven't lost any yet.  It has been a busy weekend so I haven't had much time to observe the tank or take pictures.  Here are the few shots I was able to get though.

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7866.jpg

i guess you could say they are "rili" good pics :gusta:

haha they are great pics but and its good to hear every thing is going well!

Thanks guys :D

I'm using a flash now.  It helps a lot.  Based on Shrimpy Daddy's advice, I am getting another flash.  Hopefully I will get even better results.

Here are a couple of pics of my saddled girl followed by a couple of my nicer Rilis.

IMG_7932.jpg

IMG_7937.jpgIMG_7953.jpg

IMG_7942.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome photos.... I can see the improvement..... Very good!

Thanks inverted.  

Here is an iPhone picture of my current setup.  I ordered a wireless transmitter and 2 receivers with the second flash.  I am really looking forward to cutting the cable.

Full_Size_Render_4.jpg

• Like 1

Im well and truly envious of the quality of these pics And how good the shrimp look! I agree you can definitely see an improvement

Wow that pretty cool setup and very nice shrimp.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  

When I decided to have a shrimp tank I didn't expect it to revive my interest in photography.  I am really enjoying watching and photographing my new pets.  It is making me want to start another tank so I can have more types of shrimp.  I can see how one tank can turn into two and then into a rack :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  

When I decided to have a shrimp tank I didn't expect it to revive my interest in photography.  I am really enjoying watching and photographing my new pets.  It is making me want to start another tank so I can have more types of shrimp.  I can see how one tank can turn into two and then into a rack :D

Welcome to the shrimp photography club!!! :D

I cut the cord today.  My second flash as well as a wireless transmitter and 2 receivers arrived today.  It is so nice not to have to worry about pulling on the cable too hard and having the flash fall into the tank.

The shrimp are more active today than I have ever seen them.  It was impossible to get any shots with the tripod.  Here is what I was able to get without it.

IMG_7993.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

IMG_8071.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8022.jpg

IMG_8039.jpg

IMG_8070.jpg