wot_fan's 1st shrimp tank

wot_fan

Cool!!!! 

Are you able to attach bigger pictures? The picture is very tiny even after I click on it. (^_^")y

How do compare the shot with dual flash vs single flash?

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

Those photos are so good I want to go out and buy a decent camera and flash set up.......

Shrimp that won't stay still is a good sign.....maybe you have a female in there letting off some pheromones ?

Edited by inverted

they are really beautiful shrimp and wonderful quality photos!

ps what country arw you in wotfan?

Edited by revolutionhope

Cool!!!! 

Are you able to attach bigger pictures? The picture is very tiny even after I click on it. (^_^")y

How do find the shot with dual flash vs single flash?

The pictures should be 1024x768.  Are they showing up as thumbnails?

The second flash helps a lot.  I need to play with it more, but I should be able to get much better shots.  This is going to be fun :D

These should link to full resolution shots.

IMG_7993.jpgIMG_8036.jpgIMG_8071.jpgIMG_8075.jpgIMG_8022.jpgIMG_8039.jpgIMG_8070.jpg

Those photos are so good I want to go out and buy a decent camera and flash set up.......

Shrimp that won't stay still is a good sign.....maybe you have a female in there letting off some pheromones ?

Thanks.  I only have one saddled female so far and I just saw her.  I hope she gets down to business soon.

they are really beautiful shrimp and wonderful quality photos!

ps what country arw you in wotfan?

Thank you.  I am in the US (Illinois).

The pictures should be 1024x768.  Are they showing up as thumbnails?

The second flash helps a lot.  I need to play with it more, but I should be able to get much better shots.  This is going to be fun :D

These should link to full resolution shots.

IMG_7993.jpgIMG_8036.jpgIMG_8071.jpgIMG_8075.jpgIMG_8022.jpgIMG_8039.jpgIMG_8070.jpg

It is much better now. ^^

Try to reduce the flash power to reduce the glaring and hot spot. After reducing it, you will need to open up the aperture by 1 to 1.5 full stop (reduce F number). Your DoF may gets narrower too. Hence, you may need to position the camera slightly farther back.

• Like 1

It is much better now. ^^

Try to reduce the flash power to reduce the glaring and hot spot. After reducing it, you will need to open up the aperture by 1 to 1.5 full stop (reduce F number). Your DoF may gets narrower too. Hence, you may need to position the camera slightly farther back.

Thanks.  I will try that next time.  All the shots of the shrimp were done at F9 so I have room play with.  Thanks again.

If it is F9, your flash power should be around 1/4 to 1/16?

Usually for my 50cm tall tank, I use 1/16 to 1/32 flash power. Your tank looks smaller than mine. Hence, you should start with 1/64 and gradually increase it.

Does your wireless kit transmit TTL data?

If it is F9, your flash power should be around 1/4 to 1/16?

Usually for my 50cm tall tank, I use 1/16 to 1/32 flash power. Your tank looks smaller than mine. Hence, you should start with 1/64 and gradually increase it.

Does your wireless kit transmit TTL data?

The wireless units I went with don't transmit TTL.  It does allow me to set the flash strength from for each flash from the transmitter though.  The range is 0ev (no flash) - 9.0ev (full power).  All of the shots I posted used we shot with both flashes at 7.0ev.

My tank dimensions are 61cm x 33cm x 43cm (LxDxH)

Sounds great. :)

Then you should try with 1 EV and slowly increase.

Will do.  I'll post the results.  Thanks again.

You all are probably getting sick of seeing pictures of the same shrimp over and over, but I thought I'd share a few more anyway :D.

I have a second female forming a saddle.  See the first female below.

IMG_8108.jpg

These are from last night's session so I haven't had a chance to put Shrimpy Daddy's advice into effect yet..  I think the last shot is one my best so far.  As always, I appreciate any advice or comments.

IMG_8175.jpgIMG_8136.jpgIMG_8133.jpgIMG_8118.jpg

Yea man great photos.

How is everything going with the tank and shrimp? They look fine in your pics.

Yea man great photos.

How is everything going with the tank and shrimp? They look fine in your pics.

Thanks.

As far as I can tell the shrimp are doing well.  They aren't hiding and are active.  I haven't seen any evidence of a molt since I added them to the tank though.  I have read that shrimp usually molt after being moved to water with different WP.  I am not sure what I should expect in terms of molting.

The tank in general is doing good too.  The brown and white fungus are slowly going away and most of the moss is growing.  Even subwassertang seems to be coming back. The major exception is the wisteria.  It has been slowly melting away since I added it.  I don't want to add any ferts so I am just leaving it alone and hoping it will make a come back.

I'll post pictures of the overall tank in the next couple of days.  The lights are off on the tank now and it is time for me to get some sleep.

• Like 1

I NEVER get sick of shrimp pics ;)

me either! I think people need to take more pics of their shrimp and update their journals more! Bunch of stalkers haha  

me either! I think people need to take more pics of their shrimp and update their journals more! Bunch of stalkers haha  

Totally agree! :D

Don't worry about posting pics of the same shrimp over and over again wot_fan... they're great pics! 

Great work Shrimpy Daddy for inspiring people on this forum and giving some great advice. You must be happy to watch it pay off! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I have a little hair algae starting in the tank.  I know how to manually remove it.  What I would like to know is what I can do to stop it from growing in the first place.  Any ideas?

Here is an overall shot of the tank.  As I said, it is doing well for the most part.  Some of the moss I thought might be overrun by the brown fungus seems to be making a come back.  The wisteria is looking pretty pathetic though.

IMG_8203.jpg

I am not sure if I mentioned that the tank is on my nightstand.  This is the view I have while lying in bed.

IMG_8204.jpg

Here is a shot of a moss that is coming back with a shrimp tending to it

IMG_8215.jpg

And of course I have to post at least one shrimp pic

IMG_8242.jpg

• Like 2

Nice!!!!

Your plants are doing pretty well now. 

Are you able to identify the type of hair algae? Is it fuzz/hair algae, cladophora or spirogyra?

Nice!!!!

Your plants are doing pretty well now. 

Are you able to identify the type of hair algae? Is it fuzz/hair algae, cladophora or spirogyra?

Thanks.  Except for the wisteria, I am  happy with the way plants are progressing.  If I get some baby shrimp down the road, they should have plenty of places to hide and feed.

I am not sure what type of hair algae I have.  I'm afraid that I don't know too much about algae.  There really isn't very much in the tank....yet.  All I can tell you is that the filaments are very fine and break easily.  So far I have only seen it in the flame moss on the spider wood and the subwassertang in back which are both in the better lit sections of the tank.  I turned down the intensity on my lights a little more.  I am hesitant to turn them down any further or I may starve the wisteria and moss for light.

Use this guide to identify the algae: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Algae has to be control when it first started. If you left it unattended, it will take over your tank. By then, it will be very hard to remove them. You need to identify the type in order to apply the correct method to control them. ;)