My racks and shrimp collection

alvinchan80

Alvin.... i always love seeing your tanks and updates ;)

i like to watch the way you and your style evolves over time.

What are the plants you are using in these tanks?

and are they used for there nitrate absorption properties or just for looks?

Alvin.... i always love seeing your tanks and updates ;)

i like to watch the way you and your style evolves over time.

What are the plants you are using in these tanks?

and are they used for there nitrate absorption properties or just for looks?

Thanks bro dean...

Slowly learning and using the best way of setting up and finally using just the best way.. I am still experimenting using the most easiest way (without spending too much, although I spent a lot just for all these trials..) so that in my future set up, there will not be anymore 'anyhow dosing' habits...

Those plants which I am using in the tanks are rooted plants mainly echinodorus opacus and satan variants.. I am using them mainly because of their uniquely deep green appearance for aesthetic purpose but they are also very good when it comes to spreading their roots under the soil..

This way, lots of excess nutrients or even nitrate will be sucked by them.. Another good plant to use is crypt wenditt brown but they tends to grow very fast within a year, I can have 6-8 stalks out of just 1 initial stock which I planted.. Haha.. But echinodorus opacus and satan will still have only 1 stalk or at most 1 tiny shoot in a year..

Another plant which lots of shrimp keepers are using overseas now, are the Bucephalandra which needs to be tied to driftwood or rocks.. I have a number now waiting to be tied and be placed in the tank.. Another slow grower..

My main way of nitrate removal is only via water changes.. Trying not to introduce too much floating plants as the tank gets shaded too much when they cover the surface in my opinion..

i have to agree with you there mate, it is a slow learning process and i am also making changes all the time to how i set up tanks.

i will have to give those plants a try in the new tanks :) i always see them being used in Asia and Europe but never knew

why or what they were.

thanks for the info mate, appreciated as always :victorious:

i have to agree with you there mate' date=' it is a slow learning process and i am also making changes all the time to how i set up tanks.

i will have to give those plants a try in the new tanks :) i always see them being used in Asia and Europe but never knew

why or what they were.

thanks for the info mate, appreciated as always :victorious:[/quote']

Yes.. After different trials and errors, we know what stuff or set up suits our habits.. Hehe..

You should try.. But what I know is that echinodorus opacus and satan variants as well as Bucephalandra are not really the off the shelf kind of plants due to their rarity and cost... (You might be surprise at the price.. Haha)

Think it's only through sharing of experience and guidance that we can help new shrimp keepers have a better ways of keeping these sensitive fellas.. Haha..

Here wishing all a Happy Lunar Chinese New Year to everyone.. May all your wishes come true in the year of the 'snake' and let this year be prosperous and fruitful to you..

ç¥å¤§å®¶æ–°å¹´å¿«æ¨‚,è¬äº‹å¦‚æ„,心想事æˆï¼Œé¾é¦¬ç²¾ç¥žï¼Œå¹´å¹´æœ‰é¤˜ï¼Œè²¡æºå»£é€²

fc2blog_20130210115419ff3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Before the Chinese New Year, a friend came by and helped to take photos of my shrimps for me.. Thank you so much Mr Tan..

Will be sharing each of the variants (types) slowly..

Here are the Pure Black Line shots..

fc2blog_20130219115458e4b.jpgfc2blog_201302191155199df.jpgfc2blog_201302191155467dc.jpgfc2blog_201302191156097b6.jpg

This is a nice 'upskirt' shot.. Haha..

fc2blog_20130219115641a06.jpg

And lastly, a 'flying' one...

fc2blog_20130219115720cc1.jpg

More to come later...

Hey Alvin.....I want a PBL & PRL.....absolutely GEOURGOUS ! Are super tigers or red tigers available in Singapore ?

Hey Alvin.....I want a PBL & PRL.....absolutely GEOURGOUS ! Are super tigers or red tigers available in Singapore ?
Haha.. Come make a trip to Singapore bro Bb? :pSuper tigers yes' date=' red tigers no.. I am not so into tiger shrimps though.. Haha..
Hey Alvin, great as always. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics.
Thanks bro fishmosy.. Haha..Well, thinking of showing very..... very..... slowly...... So that there will be people hoping and waiting to see them... Hahaha..

Thanks bro fishmosy.. Haha..

Well' date=' thinking of showing very..... very..... slowly...... So that there will be people hoping and waiting to see them... Hahaha..[/quote']

Dude, you're such a tease, lol, very cool looking shrimp! :encouragement:

Its better that you don't show anymore, each time you show your shrimp I check my savings because I want a similar setup and I definitely want them shrimp!

Dude' date=' you're such a tease, lol, very cool looking shrimp! :encouragement:[/quote']Haha.. This way it will 'brighten' up this thread.. :pThanks for your compliments..Haha.. It's suppose to be sharing and motivating fellow hobbyist..Don't worry, just do slowly and set up through experience.. :)Thank you so much for your compliments.. Will share some more photos soon..

Today will be putting up photos of Blue Bolts taken by my friend...

The juveniles' blue doesn't intensity before 1.0-1.2cm.. As it age, the blue gets more intense (this depends on water parameter as well as how well it has gotten used to your tank..).. Also depending greatly on the genes of the parental shrimp..

fc2blog_2013022111420807d.jpgfc2blog_20130221114405d09.jpgfc2blog_20130221114429121.jpgfc2blog_20130221114642ff1.jpg

Blue Bolt with head pattern..

fc2blog_20130221114513505.jpgfc2blog_201302211146070bd.jpg

One of my 'deep blue' Blue Bolt mama..

fc2blog_20130221114804a8b.jpg

Hope everyone like these photos of my Blue Bolts..

Other photos will be posted shortly..

Happy Shrimping...

Ahhh bluebolts, they do make me smile :-).... Very nice photography.....well dne to your friend...

Alvin, are you able to take and share pic(s) of the super tigers that are in Singapore ? Thanks

Ahhh bluebolts' date=' they do make me smile :-).... Very nice photography.....well dne to your friend...Alvin, are you able to take and share pic(s) of the super tigers that are in Singapore ? Thanks[/quote']Thanks bro BB.. I knew you will be smiling.. Haha..I have to try and find.. Because I am not a tiger shrimp person.. Hehe..Thanks bro HeavyD.. You are most welcome..Sure sure bro Squiggle.. I will post more soon.. :)

Here are the photos of Black King Kong shrimps..

fc2blog_2013022419283390f.jpgfc2blog_20130224192846029.jpgfc2blog_2013022419285927a.jpgfc2blog_201302241929088b9.jpgfc2blog_2013022419293538d.jpgfc2blog_20130224192957e13.jpgfc2blog_20130224193015833.jpgfc2blog_20130224193033ec0.jpgfc2blog_20130224193149ea4.jpg

Here are the KK hinomaru

fc2blog_20130224193103cfc.jpgfc2blog_2013022419311636f.jpg

As there are not much photos taken for my Wine Red (only 1 in fact.. Haha..) so I shall put them to share with the KK.. Hehe..

fc2blog_201302241932594e3.jpg

Happy Shrimping...

beautiful shrimp Alvin. did you get a photographer to take them for you?

Hehe.. Yes Bro Dean... My friend who is a product photographer came over to take for me.. Haha.. I am not able to take photos of these quality because I don't have those lens and equipments he using.. But I might get soon, I am poisoned by my own photo's results.. Hahaha...

all good mate, they look very good. you really should buy a marco lens and learn how to make photos yourself :)

then you have many more to show us ;)

all good mate' date=' they look very good. you really should buy a marco lens and learn how to make photos yourself :)

then you have many more to show us ;)[/quote']

Thanks bro Dean..

Yeah.. Guess I should invest on a good macro lens soon.. Haha..

I am holding on to a 50mm macro but am looking at the EF 100mm macro..