Sign in to follow this  
Seattleshrimp

Should I start with CRS or RCS ?

Seattleshrimp

Hi ! 

I live in Seattle where the water is incredibly soft and I have a tap water pH of 6.7, GH of 0-1 and KH 2. My existing tank with plants already has buffered substrate. Would I have better chance of keeping CRS than RCS with my current water parameters ? Or would RCS do okay? 

I do have an RO system already, and I could  remineralize my water with salty shrimp KH/GH+. Which would allow my GH and KH parameter to be okay for neocaridinas, but I already have a tank with active substrate. I’m 100% I don’t have space to set up another tank with inert substrate. 

Would do you recommend ? What are pH you have successfully kept neocaridinas and have them thriving ? 

Thanks ! I appreciate all the help as I am new to the hobby. 
  • Like 1

jayc

Hi @Seattleshrimp,

welcome to SKFA.

With that tap water and the fact that you have an RO system, and active substrate, you can try for CRS.

Both RCS and CRS would suit your water parameters. 

However, you would be constantly battling to keep the right parameters with Neo caridinas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seattleshrimp

Hi Jayc, 

Thank you ! 

Yeah, I think CRS would be best suited for my current water parameter. I’m just debating whether if CRS are harder to keep  than RCS

Do people in the hobby refer CRS harder to keep in that the water parameters for caridinas are harder to achieve or the species itself is pickier than neos. 

Thanks ! 

• Like 1

jayc

CRS can be harder than Neos, but that's because people can't (or rather, "find it hard") to maintain water parameters around 6.5 - 6.6, with low GH and KH. Buy since your tap water is already there, it should be easy for you, theoretically. 

Just remember to use a dechlorinator. Avoid using Prime, as I find it to have too much formaldehyde, which can be a problem with shrimps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seattleshrimp

Which dechlorinator do you recommend? I’ve always used prime, good to know. 

jayc

Many decholrinator products used formalin. You really need to read the fine print on the product to look for Formalin/formaldehyde or  Sodium Hydroxymethane sulfonate aka Formaldehyde Sodium Bisulfite.

Seachem Prime, Tetra, API, are all guilty of using it. Use too much in a shrimp tank and you could see deaths up to two weeks from using too much. Formaldehyde damages gills in fish and shrimp.

My recommendation:

1) RO 

2) Rain water

3) Aged water over 1 week.

3) Or use a bottled dechlorinator but let it sit for 24 hours with an air stone for the formaldehyde to gas off.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I recommend you watch this very good video as it may help with choosing which shrimps to go with and covers pretty much everything!

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14161-basics-for-shrimp-keeping-video/

NeoCaridina are a lot sturdier and adaptable than the Caridina but starting with RO water and remineralising makes both fairly easy though the remineralisers for each type are different so you will need to decide before buying that. Neocaridina GH/KH+, Caridina GH+. As JayC states, with RO water you also won't need to dechlorinate the water.

Simon

• Like 1

beanbag
12 hours ago, jayc said:

Many decholrinator products used formalin. You really need to read the fine print on the product to look for Formalin/formaldehyde or  Sodium Hydroxymethane sulfonate aka Formaldehyde Sodium Bisulfite.

Seachem Prime, Tetra, API, are all guilty of using it. Use too much in a shrimp tank and you could see deaths up to two weeks from using too much. Formaldehyde damages gills in fish and shrimp.

My recommendation:

1) RO 

2) Rain water

3) Aged water over 1 week.

3) Or use a bottled dechlorinator but let it sit for 24 hours with an air stone for the formaldehyde to gas off.

Well I learned something today.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Ludwiggg17
      By Ludwiggg17
      Hi to everyone!
      Im new here and i hope i get to learn, grow, and spread my experience in the shrimpkeeping hobby through this website.
      I live in the Philippines and Im a lil bit experienced to shrimpkeeping and aquariums in general as I have had my tanks for only a little bit more than a year. I keep two 5gal tanks, one of which is my main tank and the other one is a cull tank. In the main tank I have red cherries and in the cull tank i have all the culls and a wild species of shrimp abundant in my locality of which i dont know the species, and a molly I saved from a relative of mine because they kept her in a jar.
      So i guess that would be it, i would hope to interact with all of you in the future

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Here are a couple of vids, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FhLa3gl5o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfFyDb5o4iA It would be worth trying the salt treatment, or malachite green. I have 'Waterlife fin rot and ulcers' treatment that I got from ProShrimp, that definitely has malachite green in it and may work, though they may sell something 'malachite green' on its own? Here is a link to their treatments, lots, https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=treatment&submit_search= Always treat seperately from the main tank, and if you can set up a temporary quarantine tank to house them during the period of treatment, that is better, even a bucket or something would do! Simon  
    • pasha15
      We havent added anything new for a while. The yellow is definitely not eggs but from what I can read on line that is the parasite. It is only on the underside of the shrimp. Looking on line seems to suggest ellobiopsidae!! Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear you have a problem. It is difficult to make out from the photos but obviously it is difficult to take photos of something so small? Try looking here, there were a coupe of possibilities I noticed having a quick glance through it, vorticello, parasites https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/ Both the ones I saw say salt treatment so that may be worth a try anyway (not household salt but aquarium salt)! Any idea where they came from, have you added anything new recently? I assume the yellow colour is eggs of the shrimp. Hopefully you can set up a temporary quarantine tank whilst you try the salt treatment and others may give some further advice! Simon  
    • pasha15
      Hi all. Watching my cherry shrimp today I have noticed several have yellow bits on there under side. Definitely not eggs. I have removed all I can see are infected. From what I can find on line it appears to be a parasite. I can not find any treatment options. Can anyone help. I do a minimum of 10%water change every week with zero water with added gh+/kh+. I clean the gravel every week also. Any advice gratefully recieved.   Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk    
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I hope the tank doesn't take too long to make, and everthing arrives in good order! As you say you are planning on Cherry shrimps things should be fairly easy and straight forward with regards the type of substrate and rock and cherry shrimp are quite adaptable! As you say, you will have to wait and see what rock you can get before you can really settle on a design/layout etc. Substrate usually falls into 2 types, inert or soil, whereby the soil reduces/buffers the ph (you don't need the buffering with the cherry shrimp as they prefer higher PH) but looks more natural and is good for plants. We have a new soil substrate which is made by tetra (german I believe, and quite new) that doesn't alter/buffer the PH but I don't know whether that is available to you in Australia, but that would be the best for both cherry shrimp and plants? You can just use gravel or sand with cherry shrimps if you don't want the soil? I assume the tank won't be covered therefore it may suffer from evaporaton and this will need to be TOPPED up with RO (or equivalent) water otherwise there will be a build up of TDS over time? If your rainwater you plan to use has a very low TDS you may be able to gat around this so you won't need to buy RO water etc! You can't really go any further with this aspect though until you have tested your source water! I hope you manage to source some great rocks for the scaping! Simon