Zebra

Back in da game yo.

Zebra

Hey everyone how's things?

So I was on and off with shrimp the last 6 months or so while I was doing other things and getting into nano softwater fish, building tanks and saving money, now I've got a bit more free time again I just bought a ton of new tanks, equipment and shrimp in the last few months, it's all coming together now.

This is what my lounge room/fish room looks like ATM lol

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

• Like 5

ShrimpSilly

And the addiction begins again lol I haven't had a tank for five years and getting back into nanos or what I call nanos 24x18x20 And a 30x18x20 and going to make a rack and put a 36x18x3x20 on top lol probably split the three into thirds for line breeding shrimps  ahaha 

Your new setup looks nice btw.

I run a group for people if anyone is interested A.A. 

Aquriums Anonymous  lmao

???

Edited by ShrimpSilly
spelling mistake ?
  • Like 1

Zebra

Haha yeah, I spent like $1000 in a few days, it's gotten pretty bad.

I just worked out these 20L tanks run like $100 ea roughly. Including heating, lighting, filters and everything. Sometimes it's nice to have new things, I usually have to buy second hand or build my own or both.

So worth it lol

My partner gave me the worst look when I pulled the middle support out of the cupboard to fit the tanks haha

Cheers, still tons of stuff coming in the mail, and I haven't gotten around to putting plants in yet so will update when it's all done and cords aren't  hanging out everywhere.

Edited by Zebra

JacksonL

Spilt a bit of water there?

• Like 1

Zebra

Haha. Don't tell my real estate but I may have left a rain water hose on and flooded the tank day 1 lol love the hardwood floors, always makes me wonder if I would be more careful on carpet? Maybe. Lol

My chameleons, Das and others arrived today, overnight shipping from aquagreen through toll, Damn I'm impressed with the service.- 

Zebra

DAS crawling up the tub walls as the tank water slowly drips in, cute as.

IMG_2877.PNG

Edited by Zebra

Zebra

More arrived today :)

Sooo beautiful!

IMG_2905.PNG

Edited by Zebra
  • Like 4

Zebra

Lights came, would have got something better but things add up too much as it is lol.

just some shrimp pics :)

All settling in nicely, thanks Shannon Ryan and also AquaGreen.

Got some babies floating around now which is awesome, need no planaria, best spot to get it?

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3050.PNG

IMG_3052.PNG

A few different lots of chameleon babies.

IMG_3051.PNG

Zebra

Baby chocs with a ton of blue gene whoooo,

And a big fat momma CRS ready to burst she can't swim she's so big I swear haha

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

• Like 1

Matuva
On 24/05/2017 at 10:56 PM, Zebra said:

More arrived today :)

Sooo beautiful!

IMG_2905.PNG

Awesome shrimp! You lucky guy °°)

• Like 1

Zebra

Hehe for sure, These came from Shannon Ryan at Shimp My Tank, Great quality and service I'm so happy with them :) they are all already having babies or berried again, love my chocs.

Hopefully I can breed some blues out of these.

These are the lights, like $26 ea from eBay. Plastic body which is a bit dissapointing. But I don't think these get hot enough to need a full on serious heartsink anyway, would have got straight 6500k but the blue also worked out heaps cheaper per unit. Ou Geckai I think the brand is, eh good enough,

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

• Like 1

Zebra

Just about got everything running neat now, Think the airpump might be too big, it's a Haleia AC208 running between 6x 20L tanks. It came with a 6 way fitting so I just ran the lines without even valves to adjust, seems a little too much though may have to tone it down a little, probably get a 12 way splitter with calves and just use it to run more tanks aswell.

Air pump cost like $50 new. Maybe overkill but it was going to cost the same to buy a few smaller ones so eh.

Its all coming along nicely. Sooo many babies.

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

Chameleons, Chocs, Yellows, Apple snails, CRS and a Tank waiting :) 

Edited by Zebra

zn30

Setting up again after finding around eighty surviving cherry shrimp, red, green, blue and white/clear in a tank shut down around six months, keep it circulating and they looked after them self, problem was snails over ran the tank. All moved to a new tank fully cycled cleared of snails so far, and setting up another tank from scratch for crystals one more time. Yes can understand the bug biting as with @Zebra

• Like 2

Zebra

Sweet. I'd love to get some greens and blues.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • bristlenose
      By bristlenose
      Hi, I've kept Red cherry shrimp for at least 3 years. I've never had a problem with them. I used to keep my shrimp in 500l tank but i got careless while buying plants and introduced planaria into my aquarium. I only noticed after the numbers got out of hand and i noticed the shrimp deaths adding up. I moved 200-300 shrimp into a standard 4ft tank planted aquarium and dosed with noplanaria along with melafix to ward off any bacterial infections. There were multiple dozens of shrimp shells all over after being moved. Initially i believed it may have been the planaria/bacterial/constant water changes/stress of new environment(i drip acclimated them for a 5 hours) that was killing them but i haven't changed the water in a 2 months but i still get the occasional death, 1 or 2 every few days. There are decent amounts of cuttlebone in the filter and also in the aquarium itself, and i also feed them the occasional powdered egg shells but i still get molting problems. Adults and also the month olds are dying, no discrimination. They're fed every other day shrimp snow, high protein discus granules and zucchini/pumpkin/spinach/dry seaweed every 3-4 days. I can see many berried females and small shrimp and also babies but i'm still losing shrimp constantly, easily 80+ in total. I don't want to buy a gh/kh test, they have never had any problems with molting in their last aquarium so can't quite understand why they're having problems now in the 150l. I've read so much online but i can't seem to find an answer, i'd sincerely appreciate any advice i can get. Thank you so much if you've managed to read all of this. Please feel free to ask any questions. The photo is from the current setup they're in.
      Previous tank parameters:
      Ammonia: 0 
      nitrite: 0 
      nitrates: 20ppm
      Ph: 8
      substrate: sand 
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      I don't know any other parameters.  cuttlebone in the tank and filter, no ferts, heavily infested with guppy grass. Large colony of bristlenose. 
      New tank parameters:
      ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrates:30-40ppm 
      co2: 3-4 bps 
      Ph: 6.5
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      substrate: ada aquasoil
      The new tank is heavily planted and dosed with root tabs and liquid ferts. Cuttlebone in the tank and filter. 6 large pieces of seiryu stone 17kg (i doubt they're authentic so they're some kind of limestone) Shrimp only tank

• Seattleshrimp
      By Seattleshrimp
      Hi ! 
      I live in Seattle where the water is incredibly soft and I have a tap water pH of 6.7, GH of 0-1 and KH 2. My existing tank with plants already has buffered substrate. Would I have better chance of keeping CRS than RCS with my current water parameters ? Or would RCS do okay?    I do have an RO system already, and I could  remineralize my water with salty shrimp KH/GH+. Which would allow my GH and KH parameter to be okay for neocaridinas, but I already have a tank with active substrate. I’m 100% I don’t have space to set up another tank with inert substrate.    Would do you recommend ? What are pH you have successfully kept neocaridinas and have them thriving ?    Thanks ! I appreciate all the help as I am new to the hobby. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      By sdlTBfanUK
      I have now pretty much set up the shrimp tank afresh. The layout isn't 100% yet as I am testing a piece of rock for the week which I will test if it has any affect on Ph at the weekend when it has been in its tub of water for a wee? I set the heater going yesterday and as per JayC have turned it up for the cycle, and the 2 filters are running with sponges from other tanks. Most of the plants/wood are from before in the same tank. I put a small amount of Bacter AE and fish food into the tank as well today.
      Parameters today, TDS 213, ammonia 1, nitrite 0, nitrate 25 (these are the only tests I have done as it is just day 1 of running. As I am using RO water remineralised I don't expect I will test GH, KH, Ph at this early point but I can adjust those easy enough later down the line once cycled should they be out of sync, though they shouldn't (in theory), and adjusting the TDS is easy.
      I am planning to rinse the betta fish sponges in 4L of used betta water and dumping that in the shrimp tank on friday, tanks are next to each other so that will be soooo easy! That actually shouldn't affect the parameters much anyway? I will then run it as a set up tank and do 2L water change/maintenance each thursday (back to my old shedule) - tank will have about 26L of water in it (more substrate this time so 2 litres less water).
      If I am doing anything wrong or have missed/forgotten something I will be pleased to hear from anyone? 
      Oh! and I will be getting at least a fixed thermometer this time, and will look into the device that JayC and KMS have recommended at some later stage when it is all up and running, though I did take a quick look and haven't seen any in the UK yet. I plan to get a strip thermometer that you stick on and it changes colour to show what the temperature is, as these are inoffensive to look at and I should be able to view them easily/often from where I normally sit and they can be stuck on the side instead of the front (which I see from my normal seat). I don't know how good/accurate they are though but it is only to indicate a problem so I don't have to go through this devastation, mine and the shrimps, again?
      https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/aquarium-thermometers/1072-jbl-digital-aquarium-thermometer-4014162614063.html?search_query=thermometer&results=44
      Simon
      Day 2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25
      Day 3, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 50    tds 221

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Steensj2004
      Gotcha. I’ve really been eyeing some ,”Fire Reds,” or some,”Blue Dreams,” from LRBretz, those are out of this world.
    • Blue Ridge
      Does anyone know if these are in print anywhere? They don't seem to print nearly enough copies to meet demand, issue after issue sells out and is gone forever.
    • Blue Ridge
      I wonder why that would be? I'd think an oak is an oak wherever it's growing. Perhaps a result of me leaving them in the sun? It's not a big issue, once they get soaked they become pliable and soft it's just a head scratcher...
    • Blue Ridge
      AFAIK, only crystal reds. FWIW, Rob at Flip imports the vast majority of his stock. Price of success, I suppose. He can't breed them fast enough to meet demand. He's very open about this and a great guy to deal with. But I wouldn't buy Caridina as imports when they can be had (much) cheaper home bred from a hobbyist. Mischlings might be a good way to go, you'll usually get a variety of black and red crystals F1, depending on what they were bred with. And they tend to be a little hardier like tigers, though still more fragile than most Neos.
    • Blue Ridge
      Thank you so much! I was trying to go through the standard settings menu, which is disabled. Fixed now!