GotCrabs Mr Aqua 12G Bookshelf

GotCrabs

Hi all, have introduced myself in another section of the forum so now it's down to business.

Here are my tank specs, am relatively new to shrimp keeping, have a range of shrimp like Red Cherry Shrimp, Yellow Cherry Shrimp, Chameleon Shrimp, Darwin Algae Shrimp and Crystal Red Shrimp, I'm not looking to breed so that breeding of the Yellows and Reds doesn't bother me at all, I just enjoy watching the little critters cruise around and play (watched a Yellow and a CRS fight over a algae wafer last night, was funny), all comments, suggestions, advice welcome, cheers.

Heres a recent photo I took after I added the mini Java Fern in and introduced the Crystal Red Shrimp.

Aquarium: Mr Aqua 12G Bookshelf

Filter: Eheim 2213 Canister with API Bio Chem Zorb and Stainless Steel Mesh Guard

Lighting: BeamWorks 90cm LED on HPM Automatic Timer (6 Hours Each Day)

Heating: Aqua One 150w Glass Heater

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum 8kg

Co2 Set Up: AquaGreen Dinosaur Spit (4 Drops Per Day)

Fert Set Up: AquaGreen Dinosaur Pee (2 Drops Per Day)

Water Treatment: API Tap Water Conditioner

Flora: Anubias Nana Petite, Anubias Nana, Java Fern Broad Leaf, Java Fern Needle Leaf, mini Java Fern, Bolbitis Heudelotii, Chistmas Moss

Fauna: 3 x Common Bristlenose, 50+ Red Cherry Shrimp, 12 Yellow Cherry Shrimp, 10 Darwin Algae Shrimp, 10 Chameleon Shrimp, 6 Crystal Red Shrimp

Hardscape: Malaysian Driftwood

post-1083-0-45848700-1412928233_thumb.jp

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 2

Fantastic looking tank mate. I do like the jungle style.

Cheers Mate, really happy with the tank and layout, it's taken me some time to get to this stage though, played around with a lot of set ups and lay outs and come to this finally, just keeping the Shrimp and Common Bristlenose and think I'll leave it at them for now, just want to sit back and watch it all grow and develop.

All plants were bought online through members of other forums, I also bought the Malaysian Driftwood and tied everything on with fishing line, nothing at all is planted in the tank, Shrimp were bought through private online sellers as well as AquaGreen up in Darwin.

Very nice set up.

I really like the look of the Mr aqua bookshelf.

Very nice set up.

I really like the look of the Mr aqua bookshelf.

Cheers mate, real happy with the Mr Aqua Bookshelf, it's not too big, not too small, still have enough room to set stuff up and make a decent lay out and display without going too small or crammed, I don't mind it at all.

Just a quick question about feeding Shrimp.

I currently feed my Shrimp once a day, just as lights come on at 12:00 pm, I live in country South Australia so don't have access to Shrimp foods, just fish foods, at the moment I am feeding the Shrimp as well as my Common Bristlenose Nutrafin MAX Bottom Feeder Sinking Tablets and Sanyu Hercar Algae Wafer Disc Food, are these OK for my Shrimp? Once a week I put a thin piece of Cucumber in as well, all 3 foods the shrimp take too but don't seem to go crazy about though, I feed 1 or 2 of the Nutrafin MAX and Sanyu each day.

Are these foods acceptable and am I feeding enough or too much? I have around 50 RCS, 12 YCS, 10 DAS, 10 Chameleon, 6 CRS.

Edited by GotCrabs

Hi gotcrabs, you should check out the Food & Nutrition section, as well as the Library for more ideas.

I have a mr aqua 12G as well!

Great tank. The proportions are just perfect. It's long but not tall.

Edited by jayc

Hey GotCrabs, Brilliant tank setup mate. I love these bookshelf tanks.

Those feeds would be alright but if you can get yourself some shrimp specific foods, all the better.

We have members who use kale, banana and various other fresh foods.

I live in regional Victoria and have had no issues with the sponsors posting foods to me, usually very quick turnarounds too.

Maybe check out the sponsors websites for shrimp foods.

Again, great work on the tank!!

Sweet looking tank,i like the look of the shallower tanks over the standard height ones.

As Newbreed said you will be able to get a variety of shrimp products from our sponsors.

Do you have a chiller for summer so you dont lose any of your shrimp?

Sweet looking tank,i like the look of the shallower tanks over the standard height ones.

As Newbreed said you will be able to get a variety of shrimp products from our sponsors.

Do you have a chiller for summer so you dont lose any of your shrimp?

Cheers lads, will suss out the sponsors for Shrimp foods.

No, no chiller, Summers get pretty bad down here, high 40's but our house is very well air conditioned so should be fine, if push comes to shove I'll put a fan infront of the tank, but should be OK.

I've had the tank for around two years, played around alot with different lay outs, displays, designs as well as fish and finally came to this and am happy with it, also played around with different equipment aswell, have to say the Eheim 2213 is really good, I've never had water as clear as what it is since I've had the 2213, also impressed with AquaGreen's Dinosaur Spit and Pee, can see that it works well.

Just been thinking about foods and looking around online through sponsor sites and not sure what to grab, I'm after a pellet form of food, I've read through some of the posts on this forum but would like to see the actual food though, not the package, suggestions? I've noticed lots of stuff are powders though.

Edited by GotCrabs

Been looking around at foods during the night and reading up and I think I'll look at getting a bottle of Benibachi Kale Tablets and bottle of Benibachi Ambitious and feed 1 of both each day.

Depending on how many shrimp you have you might not need to feed one of each, depends on the time it takes for them to break down to.

Benibachi kale you will needa feeder dish because it breaks down into a fine powder. Variety is key though, have you have a look in the shrimp food reviews topic ? 

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/3280-shrimp-food-reviews/page-2#entry93791

Well worth a read

Don't forget you can supplement processed foods with natural foods ... Like flowers, vegetables, leaves, fruits, and frozen blood worms.

Blood worms are great. It gives the little buggers protein that they wouldn't get otherwise.

It's a must have in your list of foods.

Don't forget you can supplement processed foods with natural foods ... Like flowers, vegetables, leaves, fruits, and frozen blood worms.

Blood worms are great. It gives the little buggers protein that they wouldn't get otherwise.

It's a must have in your list of foods.

Yeah have been feeding cucumber once a week as a treat, again they like it but don't seem to go crazy about it though, going to try banana as well.

Depending on how many shrimp you have you might not need to feed one of each, depends on the time it takes for them to break down to.

Benibachi kale you will needa feeder dish because it breaks down into a fine powder. Variety is key though, have you have a look in the shrimp food reviews topic ? 

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/3280-shrimp-food-reviews/page-2#entry93791

Well worth a read

I have around 50 RCS, 12 YCS, 10 Chameleon, 10 DAS and 6 CRS.

Yeah had a suss of the reviews section, very informative but would also like to see certain foods though, not just the packets, foods I've been using the Shrimp take too but just aren't crazy about though, would love to see my Shrimp go mental over a food like you see in the photos, haha.

would love to see my Shrimp go mental over a food like you see in the photos, haha.

Borneo Wild Color, Low Keys Ebi Supple, Low Keys Hiden No Esa, Low keys B18 protein.

My shrimp go nuts over this menu.

I'll do a review one day.

Unfortunately, Low Keys is not available in Aus ... yet. 

I hear Shrimp Crack will get the shrimps going crazy too.

I'd love to try it, but I've got too much food types to go through before I can buy more.

Yeah have been feeding cucumber once a week as a treat, again they like it but don't seem to go crazy about it though, going to try banana as well.

Do you blanch it first to soften it up?

Try Zucchini instead of cucumber.

Bananas are great!!! Low in calcium BUT high in Potassium.

What sort of flowers do you have in the garden?

Rose, hibiscus, nasturtiums, are some really good food sources. As long as you know there is no pesticides.

Flowers are antibacterial, antifungal food sources. High in carotenoids that might enhance the colours of your shrimp.

And it's free.

Yeah I've read that Shrimp Crack is excellent, hence the name Crack as the Shrimp are like addicted to it, haha.

Will give Zucchini a crack instead of banana next time and see how it goes, I blanch the food source until it sinks in the microwave container so I know it'll sink in the tank, around 6 minutes it takes.

Finding this forum very helpful and interesting and am finding myself spending a lot more time here instead of another forum so think I'll look at getting some foods through sponsors here and also might suss out going Premium as well, cheers.

Will give Zucchini a crack instead of banana next time and see how it goes, I 

Feed both. They are both good.

might suss out going Premium as well, cheers.

Don't know what you are waiting for  :biggrin:

hands up anyone who thinks Premium membership is a good idea...

smiley-raised-hand1.gif

Edited by jayc