White glove female

BRISSY

Nice. how are you keeping your Sulawesi?

I notice your tank appears to have no substrate? Or was the shrimp on the wall of the tank and the photo is rotated?

They are very easy to keep, as long as you buy late generation tank bred. Be careful who you buy from, early generation/WC are very easy to kill ;). 

I keep mine in a 120L 2ft tank, with a mix of inert sand and scoria as the substrate. I also have lava rocks and algae growing. I have 3 different species in there together. If anyone is looking for some send me a message and I'll see what I can do. 

For this photo I caught the shrimp and put it in an acrylic box. 

1 minute ago, BRISSY said:

They are very easy to keep, as long as you buy late generation tank bred. Be careful who you buy from, early generation/WC are very easy to kill ;). 

I keep mine in a 120L 2ft tank, with a mix of inert sand and scoria as the substrate. I also have lava rocks and algae growing. I have 3 different species in there together. If anyone is looking for some send me a message and I'll see what I can do. 

For this photo I caught the shrimp and put it in an acrylic box. 

What are the other two species if you dont mind me asking? 

So they don't cross breed? I have 4 white gloves but not breeding at all. Hope they aren't all male [emoji20] Can't afford anymore atm.

large.12082253_10153690346168829_1785559

Edited by NoGi
  • Like 2

Yes most of them you can mix without cross breeding. It is hard to tell males/females until they are mature. At least I find it hard hahaha. Very nice specimen by the way!

• Like 1

@BRISSY, have you been able to breed them yet? Would be interested in hearing about their breeding lifecycle in terms of time. Also, what are you feeding yours?

@BRISSY and @Mark49,

you guys should pool your resources together and write an article on keeping Sulawesi.

Water parameters, food, etc. Whatever you know about this species.

This would be a great contribution to not only SKF but the community as a whole.

• Like 2

@NoGi Yes mine are breeding. Although it varies from species to species, white gloves seem to be the easiest. For breeding, I havent kept track of any dates or anything like that, so I only know from other people that the female is berried for 3-4 weeks. 

Edit (almost forgot the food :P). You can feed them any low protein shrimp foods. I feed barley straw and snow as well as mosura occasionally. Mainly they eat algae. 

@jayc I'm not all that experienced with them, and often asking other people to help me so I'm probably not the best person. In saying that, in a few weeks time I may do a write up on how my tank is set up. There are so many ways to set up sula tanks, each one I see is different I think hahaha. 

Edited by BRISSY
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!
    • GtWalker97
      Hi SKF!   So I bought some PRL (or at least they were sold as such. These claims are dubious in Australia as people don't know much about the genetics, nor do they care as long as they can make a quick buck). After 8 generations of breeding true, I'm having around 1 in 200 throw a much darker red. They almost look like Red Shadows, but I don't know too much about those types of hybrid. Can anyone help with ID'ing the gene?   TIA (First 2 pics are the weird throws, second photo is their siblings and the last photo is the parents)