White glove female

BRISSY

One of my females

12208779_552034444946896_5799281450323569139_n.jpg

• Like 4

jayc

:wow:

fishmosy

Nice. how are you keeping your Sulawesi?

I notice your tank appears to have no substrate? Or was the shrimp on the wall of the tank and the photo is rotated?

BRISSY

They are very easy to keep, as long as you buy late generation tank bred. Be careful who you buy from, early generation/WC are very easy to kill ;). 

I keep mine in a 120L 2ft tank, with a mix of inert sand and scoria as the substrate. I also have lava rocks and algae growing. I have 3 different species in there together. If anyone is looking for some send me a message and I'll see what I can do. 

For this photo I caught the shrimp and put it in an acrylic box. 

fishmosy
1 minute ago, BRISSY said:

They are very easy to keep, as long as you buy late generation tank bred. Be careful who you buy from, early generation/WC are very easy to kill ;). 

I keep mine in a 120L 2ft tank, with a mix of inert sand and scoria as the substrate. I also have lava rocks and algae growing. I have 3 different species in there together. If anyone is looking for some send me a message and I'll see what I can do. 

For this photo I caught the shrimp and put it in an acrylic box. 

What are the other two species if you dont mind me asking? 

BRISSY

I'll chuck up pictures when I have time :) 

• Like 1

keego

Looking forwards to see pictures of your other type.

NoGi

So they don't cross breed? I have 4 white gloves but not breeding at all. Hope they aren't all male Can't afford anymore atm.

large.12082253_10153690346168829_1785559

Edited by NoGi
  • Like 2

BRISSY

Yes most of them you can mix without cross breeding. It is hard to tell males/females until they are mature. At least I find it hard hahaha. Very nice specimen by the way!

• Like 1

revolutionhope

more pictures please!

NoGi

@BRISSY, have you been able to breed them yet? Would be interested in hearing about their breeding lifecycle in terms of time. Also, what are you feeding yours?

jayc

@BRISSY and @Mark49,

you guys should pool your resources together and write an article on keeping Sulawesi.

Water parameters, food, etc. Whatever you know about this species.

This would be a great contribution to not only SKF but the community as a whole.

• Like 2

BRISSY

@NoGi Yes mine are breeding. Although it varies from species to species, white gloves seem to be the easiest. For breeding, I havent kept track of any dates or anything like that, so I only know from other people that the female is berried for 3-4 weeks. 

Edit (almost forgot the food :P). You can feed them any low protein shrimp foods. I feed barley straw and snow as well as mosura occasionally. Mainly they eat algae. 

@jayc I'm not all that experienced with them, and often asking other people to help me so I'm probably not the best person. In saying that, in a few weeks time I may do a write up on how my tank is set up. There are so many ways to set up sula tanks, each one I see is different I think hahaha. 

Edited by BRISSY
  • Like 1

addicted2shrimp

I have a large colany mine are breeding very good

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• KeenShrimp
      By KeenShrimp
      I just want to give a big thank you to @JPN07: it has been -4 degrees Celcius in Canberra the last 2 mornings. He posted Sulawesi Cardinals 2 days ago from the West Coast. With his ingenious double-heat pack-sandwich insulation packaging, the shrimp were at least 24 degrees Celcius in the esky when I got them. I went to check on them just now and they are all happy and foraging a few hours after arrival. Thank you so much for the generous extra ?
    • KeenShrimp
      By KeenShrimp
      Guys, I will be the first to admit that I should have bought those Cardinals at the auction last night. My tank is not yet ready.
      If a guy on Gumtree raises them in tap water and @JPN07 has bred and adapted them for easier keeping here in Australia,  is there anything else that interested potential keepers should know apart from adding Sulawesi shrimp salt and off we go?
      Do you need special rocks or substrate, or specific types of blankets of algae? Do they eat normal shrimp food? They are classified as a very hard shrimp to keep and I would just like to find out why. Do they kick the bucket for the slightest change in water parameters like small water changes? I have looked at their habitat and taken a mental note that they like to hang out on the underside of hanging rocks, but can it really be that easy?
      I have seen photos of setups that look like they were staged for National Geographic, and then I have seen For Sale ads where the tanks look more like swamps with a phosphate problem there is so much algae in it, but it is filled to the brim with babies. What works?
    • jayc
      By jayc
      I came across this Japanese website that shows the biotope of Sulawesi shrimps.
      Thought you guys with Sulas would be interested. (Need Google translate to English).

http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia-sulawesi-danao.htm
      http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia-sulawesi-danaomatano.htm
      http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia-sulawesi-danaoposo.htm

• Mark49
      By Mark49
    • BRISSY
      By BRISSY
      Here is my main PRL female. Old picture, she was looking see through for some reason. Now she looks great. When I cull the generation currently growing I will be focusing on white. 

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Perry
      G'day Simon, Thank you for your reply. I cannot understand why if Java Moss is so quick and easy to grow.  It is expensive to buy. I already have Red Cherry & Blue Cherry Shrimps. I am soon going to get some Yellow ones.The Substrate I have is Black Sand and ADA Amazonia. I also placed small walnut size stones in one corner so that the shrimps can hide. Cheers Perry
    • Perry
      O KGot it thank you Perry
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Hopefully you will get the new shrimps later this week, exciting stuff! They grow fairly quickly! The babies will feed off the sponge so it doesn't surprise me to hear they like it there. Pleased to hear it is going so well! Simon
    • Steensj2004
      The babies are showing up more and more, they really  like to hang out on the tiny driftwood on the right side, under the sponge filter. I’ve been using your suggestion, and using my pipettes to blow some of the Baby Shrimp, Shrimp Fit into that area when dosing the Glasgarten mixture. The shrimp have not yet arrived, this place doesn’t ship overnight, and the were shipped yesterday. The galaxies my buddy ordered on this order were still in quarantine until yesterday, so it delayed shipping. However, I will give this fish supplier  credit, as I’ve never had a casualty from them from anything I’ve ordered, and they throw in plenty of spares( 2-3 on average). They also offer a DOA refund policy. I anticipate them being here Friday or Saturday. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Have the new shrimps arrived yet? Hope you are still seeing plenty of  baby shrimps! Simon