Fluval Flora Revamp

ShrimpDesigns

Just recently I arrived back from a trip to Melbourne with a few supplies to revamp some of my old out-dated tanks. This Fluval Flora includes the following.

Equipment:

Fluval C2 HOB

Fluval Tronic 50W Heater

ADA African Powder Type 9L

Grey Lava Rock

Aquazonic LED

Fertiliser Plan:

Aquagreens Dino Range

Flora:

Undecided

Fauna:

Mischlings then hopefully TB's

Here was the tank this morning after being ripped up and cleaned out.

IMG_20150119_134805_zps3bun01wf.jpg

After playing around for hours.

IMG_20150119_201201_zpsfktoimsm.jpg

Unfortunately while I was picking up rocks at subscape my mum insisted that I had far too many and it turns out I have too few. So, tommorow I will be heading out to a couple of aquarium shops around Adelaide to look for some more grey lava rock.

Also, wondering on what you opinions are on having a sand path or not. Substrate seems to fall through gaps in the rock when its moved around which would make it hard to develop a sand path. Although I believe it could be done by filling the tank with water and then siphoning out the substrate and then replacing with sand. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

• HOF Member

Looking good. Apparently Seaview has a lot of different rocks , I haven't looked there myself but have been told they stock a good range.

Thanks everyone for your input. I did end up getting more rocks from seaview but they are a slightly different colour. Thoughts on the new scape?

IMG_20150120_153700_zpszkdwyoxo.jpg

• Like 1

Look forward to seeing more pics, does the lava rock adjust water perimeters?

Nah I made sure they didn't as I have made this mistake before.

Lava rock is generally inert I thought?

That's right. I meant in a previous tank i used seiryu and that went horribly wrong with my crs

Looks good either way mate

You can use clear plastic cut tosize in the substrate to stop it moving too much. A dab of silicon in the a few places should keep it in place. That way you could create a sand path if you so choose!

Thanks for all your feedback everyone. I filled it up today and ended up choosing the final scape as although it was meant to be a shrimp dedicated tank I ended up leaning towards the more 'aquascaped' version. The substrate hasnt collapsed at all yet except for where the tunnel was supposed to be. I will try and fix that up during a WC.

Louis

Planted and filled.

IMG_20150122_171523_zpsc9wlnqab.jpg

Still need the following items, anyone know where I can source them?

TDS Pen

Sera pH test (API doesn't go low enough and I don't want to deal calibration of a pen)

Salty Shrimp GH+

Cheers,

Louis

• Like 1

Oh OK, sorry mate, I'll have a quick look around and get back to you then.

Don't worry about it man. Aquaristic have both the pH kit and the GH+

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Update, the tank has finished cycling and I have moved some critters into the tank out of my 60l as I am re-doing that soon as well. CPD's settled in within 10mins with full colour! Also found 14 babies this morning out of my 60l. Also changed to a sand path.

IMG_20150215_160630_zpsluuaitfn.jpg

IMG_20150215_1607392_zps2aclgsml.jpg

Tank fauna at the moment consists of:

5 Sunkist cherries

3 CPD's 2 female 1 male

1 DAS

Louis

• Like 1