new rack

smicko

With all the time I'm spending at home lately, My wife is sick of hearing about shrimp and tanks

So i thought I would share my ideas with people that will appreciate them lol.

I'm getting a rack built that is 1100mm long,540mm wide and three tier.

Top teir will be the 40x40x40cm planted cube with cbs and yellows, and a 2x15x18 divided in half with mishlings and pumpkin one side, crs and black cherry the other side. The planted tank won't be on the system.

Second teir is 3x18x1 divided in four.

Section 1, red rili and snow white rilli

Section 2, select bred red cherry and?

Section 3, no stock yet but want carbon rilli and Tibee

Section 4, no stock yet but want tigers and a different cherry

The bottom teir will be a sump that runs through Dacron and sponge onto bioballs in dry section with Scoria on the bottom, which will flow into.a section of k1, then a 25cm cull tank with sponge stopper and the last section will be for the 1200lph pump and heater.

If all goes to plan the rack and sump will be done this weekend, planted tank will go on top.

Any suggestions or freebies to fill the tank accepted lol.

I will also have a four foot tank in the garage running a ghetto sump for culls, but I will start a new thread for that tank.

Cheers mick

With all the time I'm spending at home lately' date=' My wife is sick of hearing about shrimp and tanksSo i thought I would share my ideas with people that will appreciate them lol.[/quote']LOL, ahahah, made me laugh out loud. Sounds just like my wife. She is sick of me asking for more tanks as well.Good idea. You can dose CO2 and ferts without worrying about the shrimps.

I know the c02 and ferts won't hurt the shrimp I just don't want to pull it apart to redo the soil and get it drilled.

Cheers mick

Sounds awesome Mick!! Can't wait to see pics of it all setup!

All I'm allowed to do now is take pics, so their will be plenty of building and setting up.

Cheers mick

Awesome stuff dude, can't wait to see this all come together! :encouragement:

Awesome stuff dude' date=' can't wait to see this all come together! :encouragement:[/quote']

Hopefully I will have you over next week to drop off the tank, soil and bee max.

Then only a few days and it will be ready. Already have sponge filters cycling in other tanks and with using water from the tanks it should be cycled in 3-4 days.

Cheers mick

Too easy dude, should have the tank done in the next few days, then just have to let it set. :encouragement:

Stand got built today using 90x35mgp10 structural pine, liquid nails and screwed.

It should hold up lol DSC_0144_zpsaq31xwbi.jpg

Sump is 2.5x1x18 cleaned and ready to goDSC_0146_zpseneubjee.jpg

It will have dacron on top of a drip tray then bio balls then ultra course sponge and finally through 9ltrs of matrix. It has room for a bag of zoelite and a bag of macropore if i feel I need to add it later, but I think it will be fine.

Cheers mick

Tanks finished dude, just gotta get a bulkhead to use as a template for the holes! :encouragement:

Looking a little bit AWESOME!!

Not running what have you been doing lol hope you have it up and running soon.Think you may need the space.

Update time. The rack has some tanks on it, nothing plumbed as yet but I needed the room lol.

The planted tank is staying and the 2ft on the middle will go next to it, the two little tanks will be fighting fish tanks again and I have a divided tank for the middle which will give me four tanks there.

I will update my shrimp pic thread as well for a look at the inhabitants.

Cheers mick DSC_0013_zpsfwavbh3o.jpg

Brilliant mate! Coming together nicely.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• ngoomie
      Alright, I've done a bit more research on gentian violet's cancer-causing potential but I haven't yet done research on malachite green's to compare. But from reading the California propositon 65 document about GV (North Americans incl. some Canadians will recognize this as the law that causes some products they buy to be labelled with "known to the state of California to cause cancer", including the exact product I bought) it seems that the risk of cancer is related to internal use, either injection or ingestion. Speaking of ingestion, I think GV bans mainly relate to its use in treating fish/shrimp/etc. which are intended for human consumption, because of the above. And in countries where GV isn't banned for this purpose, it does seem to get used on various species of shrimp without causing any issue for the shrimp themselves (at least enough so for shrimp farming purposes). See the following: In February, the FDA Began Rejecting Imported Shrimp for Gentian Violet and Chloramphenicol (2022 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) FDA Starts New Calendar Year by Refusing Antibiotic-Contaminated Shrimp from Three BAP-Certified Indian Processors and Adding a BAP-Certified Vietnamese Processor to Import Alert (2024 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) Southern Shrimp Alliance and some other organizations have tons of other articles in this vein, but I'd be here for a while and would end up writing an absolutely massive post if I were to link every instance I found of articles mentioning shrimp shipments with gentian violet and/or leucogentian violet registering as contaminants. That being said, I know shrimp farmed for consumption and dwarf shrimp are often somewhat distantly related (in fact, the one time a shrimp's species name is listed that I can see, it's the prawn sp. Macrobrachium rosenbergii, who at best occupies the same infraorder as Neocaridina davidi but nothing nearer), but this at least gives a slightly better way of guessing whether it will be safe for aquarium dwarf shrimp or not than my bladder snail anecdote from the OP.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.