NEW RACK

smicko

Hi all. Haven't been around much lately, busy at work and busier on holidays so I thought it was time to put some pics of the new rack up.

Firstly, i would like to thank Wayne and bluebolts for all the shrimp I have. They were both generous after I had a mishap and lost most of my stock

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the build but im only half done so I will take more pics as I go.

At the moment I have two 4x15x18 tanks on a timber stand with a twin 10 000k t8 light mounted on the top tank. I am getting a slimline light for the bottom tank.

Filtration is two large bio corner filters in each tank, driven by an aqua one 9500 air pump ( I would like a quieter pump if anyone has a suggestion). I decided against a sump so I can keep both tanks at different parameters and the top tank will get a chiller.

The bottom tank has no scape yet as its being used to raise a few hundred convict fry at the moment which is a quality improvement program I have going at the moment.

Now to the important stuff, the top tank has a mix of cherries that I am sorting out as I go. It has reds, rillis, blue velvet,black, choc and some wild type. Also three female mischlings that were fry that survived my mini hiroshima(need a boy of some type soon)

Substrate is a layer of fluval shrimp capped with 1-3mm natural black gravel. Planted with milfoil, minature milfoil, duckweed, watersprite, crypt wendtii green and a red plant I dont know the name of.

The rack is going to be covered like a shop display so I will add pics as I go.

20131012_090820_zps1cd3b5d8.jpg20131012_090857_zpsb03e44c4.jpg

I have a few more pieces of driftwood out in the pond soaking so it should look good when complete. The bottom tank will have sponge dividers to breed different colour cherrys, then once I have too many in the bottom I will move them up to the display.

Hopefully the end result will be a rainbow cherry display with some tb mixed in, if the wife allows that spending.

We need a new comp where I can win a tb lol, I was making my entry fashionably late in the last one and missed the the deadline:sleeping: lol

Cheers mick

If those tanks are going to be for shrimps, your going to regret not putting dividers for selective breeding.

If those tanks are going to be for shrimps' date=' your going to regret not putting dividers for selective breeding.[/quote']

Hi mr shrimp, the bottom tank will be divided into four sections. I also have four other cherry tanks setup and three empty tanks in the garage waiting. Holy crap I think im addicted hahaha.

Cheers mick

Looks great mate! Im getting a 4 foot built at the moment and am brainstorming divider ideas, what are you dividing yours with eventually?

Looks great mate! Im getting a 4 foot built at the moment and am brainstorming divider ideas' date=' what are you dividing yours with eventually?[/quote']

Hi mate, I will probably go with fine sponge dividers as I want them removable.

Cheers mick

I'm sure mick has plenty of tanks at his disposal :)

Hi mate' date=' I will probably go with fine sponge dividers as I want them removable.

Cheers mick[/quote']

Sounds good, i think i will go this way aswell simple and easy and acts as another way of filtering.

Can't wait to see your updates.

The important thing with the sponge dividers is having good waterflow from one end of the tank to the other. I have canister inlet one end, through sponge, to outlet at other end.

The Poret sponge works well and you just cut the mat to fit. If you have more than one division, make sure you have sponge filters in between to provide good surface agitation.

The shrimp love grazing on them too!! And shrimplets can't get through!

Look forward to how you develop the rack. It already looks great!! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• ngoomie
      Alright, I've done a bit more research on gentian violet's cancer-causing potential but I haven't yet done research on malachite green's to compare. But from reading the California propositon 65 document about GV (North Americans incl. some Canadians will recognize this as the law that causes some products they buy to be labelled with "known to the state of California to cause cancer", including the exact product I bought) it seems that the risk of cancer is related to internal use, either injection or ingestion. Speaking of ingestion, I think GV bans mainly relate to its use in treating fish/shrimp/etc. which are intended for human consumption, because of the above. And in countries where GV isn't banned for this purpose, it does seem to get used on various species of shrimp without causing any issue for the shrimp themselves (at least enough so for shrimp farming purposes). See the following: In February, the FDA Began Rejecting Imported Shrimp for Gentian Violet and Chloramphenicol (2022 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) FDA Starts New Calendar Year by Refusing Antibiotic-Contaminated Shrimp from Three BAP-Certified Indian Processors and Adding a BAP-Certified Vietnamese Processor to Import Alert (2024 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) Southern Shrimp Alliance and some other organizations have tons of other articles in this vein, but I'd be here for a while and would end up writing an absolutely massive post if I were to link every instance I found of articles mentioning shrimp shipments with gentian violet and/or leucogentian violet registering as contaminants. That being said, I know shrimp farmed for consumption and dwarf shrimp are often somewhat distantly related (in fact, the one time a shrimp's species name is listed that I can see, it's the prawn sp. Macrobrachium rosenbergii, who at best occupies the same infraorder as Neocaridina davidi but nothing nearer), but this at least gives a slightly better way of guessing whether it will be safe for aquarium dwarf shrimp or not than my bladder snail anecdote from the OP.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.