Who owns RO units?

Dead Can Dance

Same with me, I also brought the 1000g because it was value for money and it still looks brand new after 6 month. That's with 6 tanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squiggle

• Dead Can Dance

• torface

• CNgo2006

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are a bad influence.

Ive gone and bought the RO unit that was mentioned earlier on this thread.

After a gradual wp change, might look at some CRS / CBS in a month or 2.

Something like this is fine' date=' I have something similar, have been using it for months now and has been great. [url']http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-S-35GPD-Aquarium-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filters-DI-Resin-Filter-Fish-Tanks-/120959533775?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item1c29c002cf

Chi- how do you install it? Can I hide it in the laundry from my girlfriend? She would freak is she saw something like that connected to her tap.

Can I fill the drum with water then pack it away no where to be seen or is it a semi pernament fixture?

Yes it is portable! So you can fill the drum detach the adaptor that goes on the tap and you are done! Hide the unit somewhere, it is small so easy to hide.LOL! OR you can even get a garden hose adaptor that fits on the end of your hose or garden tap.

So the ebay ones for just under $100 are 3 stage filters.

Is 4 stage necessary or much benefit? 4 stage gets a bit pricier.

I am thinking I need one because my tap water in Cabramatta tds comes out at 100 and the tanks TDS is about 160 slowly creeping higher.

Question: Can I slowly reduce the TDS by changing the tank water to RO water over time?

Question: Once I get to the desired TDS (around 120) I'm thinking I can top up with the RO water without changing the TDS?

$100 seems worth it considering shrimp stocks have cost me well into the 1000s now.

So the ebay ones for just under $100 are 3 stage filters.

Is 4 stage necessary or much benefit? 4 stage gets a bit pricier.

I am thinking I need one because my tap water in Cabramatta tds comes out at 100 and the tanks TDS is about 160 slowly creeping higher.

Question: Can I slowly reduce the TDS by changing the tank water to RO water over time?

Question: Once I get to the desired TDS (around 120) I'm thinking I can top up with the RO water without changing the TDS?

$100 seems worth it considering shrimp stocks have cost me well into the 1000s now.

As I have mentioned I have used a 3 stage one for months now and if not mistaken BB has used one similar as well, so 3 stage is fine. Just get the aquarium one and as said if not sure about how the PH comes out or anything else send them a message. My one the TDS comes out of RO at 3-4ppm and PH of 7.0. To lower TDS just topup or do small water changes with pure RO and once you have reached the desired TDS use RO with salty shrimp for water changes and pure RO for topups. And a word of advice if you do buy fromeBay pay via Paypal as insurance!

Yeah a three stage is good, my TDS came out at about 20 which is very low but I wanted zero so I bought a DI stage separately for an extra $50 & just added it to the end of the RO unit.

Yes, slowly changing the tank water to RO water will lower the TDS but as you get closer to the level you want you'll want to start using salty shrimp minerals.

Again yes, only do top ups with pure RO water as minerals don't evaporate. :encouragement:

image-74_zps6637bc9b.jpg

I asked the eBay seller about the difference between 3 & 4 and his answer lead me to go with 3.He said a 3 stage will reduce the tds of the feed water by +/- 94%-95% and a 4-stage with a final stage di will reduce the tds reading by +/- 98%-100%."

So the ebay ones for just under $100 are 3 stage filters. Is 4 stage necessary or much benefit? 4 stage gets a bit pricier.

I just read that- So I'm looking towards a 3 stage for $100.

Just need to convince the girlfriend to let me get it sent to her work.

2 shrimp packages came last week. She wasn't happy, but is now softer with the delivery of roses on Monday. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My RO unit arrived but I'm not sure it fits any of the taps in my house ?

Do WA people have different tap sizes then the rest of the country ?

Mine came with a number of different options to connect to different outlets, from the kitchen taps to the garden tap.

It came with the straight forward connector then an adaptor that can allow 2 more. None of the taps in the house seem to fit it. :(

Can you put up a pic of the tap fitting & your tap, mine had to use the adapter that comes in the kit but it screws straight in, you could call the place you get the filter off & see if they have an adapter that fits your taps :encouragement:

image-74_zps085b01d7.jpg

Yeah that the one I have, my taps have an internal thread, the larger one on the adapter. I'd call the manufacturer tomorrow & see if the have a different adapter for your taps, otherwise a plumbing supplies place will be ably to sort it out for you :encouragement:

image-74_zps9042d9bc.jpg

Just depends on the style/make of your tap ware....I have the same fitting and it fit on my laundry faucet.

I don't use RO. I don't keep CRS/CBS/TB though. I've always dechlorinated my Sydney tap water and been rather happy with life. I'm still a fish keeper more than a shrimp keeper and my planted tank is my baby, don't think she'd like RO/DI much. There's also a big difference between RO and RO/DI. RO/DI is as pure as pure can be. RO is a lot less pure, ~30ppm less, not much at all, sometimes definately not worth the extra $$$ for the DI and the Resin refills. Most important bit is the carbon prefilter, the Osmosis membrane don't like Chlorine/Chloramine/rust chunks.

My total water volume of ALl my tanks is ONLy 600lt
I'm bordering a cubic meter and still out of space!!!!! Where do you put the shrimp?!

Argh!!! I just received my RO unit and i have the exact same problem! The instructions seem to say i need to screw something off my tap then attach the RO bit, except none of my taps have anything to screw off?? And my garden and laundry taps are too big!

As strange as this sounds, I had to get a new tap that fit. I bought it for $20 from Bunnings.