Who owns RO units?

Dead Can Dance

where did you get this idea from Mr Lee? Terrible idea. you use pink teflon tape. 5 wraps around the thread is generally enough. no more no less.

May have misinterpreted what i was intending. Silicon around the base of the tap to the surface it is attached to may it be a basin, benchtop or wall. But you did pick up on me forgetting about the tape on the thread.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squiggle

• Dead Can Dance

• torface

• CNgo2006

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Banjo,

If I remember right you had your RO running directly to the tank via a float valve for top ups

How did the valve hold up to the constant water pressure?

Only ever used the float valves with gravity fed water so never been anywhere near 50 PSI or whatever comes out of the tap.

Hey Banjo' date='

If I remember right you had your RO running directly to the tank via a float valve for top ups

How did the valve hold up to the constant water pressure?

Only ever used the float valves with gravity fed water so never been anywhere near 50 PSI or whatever comes out of the tap.[/quote']

Mine was gravity fed from a barrel filled with RO water.

Mine was gravity fed from a barrel filled with RO water.

ahh bugger... Mine was the same

You think those float valves would hold against mains pressure?

I built a marine tank back when I lived in Sydney & had one of the auto top up/float valve systems connected to a water fountain/filter, it worked very well but I'm pretty sure it wasn't full mains pressure :encouragement:

ahh bugger... Mine was the same

You think those float valves would hold against mains pressure?

Probably not but you can always get a pressure limiting valve to bring it down to what you need. That being Said toilets use a float valve but its a bit different setup.

Probably not but you can always get a pressure limiting valve to bring it down to what you need. That being Said toilets use a float valve but its a bit different setup.

I think I might have a couple of the cistern valves in the shed, might have to give it a shot when I have time. See if some modifications cant be done.

As for the pressure limiting valves, if I were to run one of those post the RO unit then into the float valve, it shouldn't affect the entry pressure of the unit as long as its running. The pressure limiter would only really engage when the float switches off.

... that sound right?

I think I might have a couple of the cistern valves in the shed' date=' might have to give it a shot when I have time. See if some modifications cant be done. [/quote']

I've seen this done years ago before top up systems were commercially available for aquariums, so it is possible :encouragement:

I've seen this done years ago before top up systems were commercially available for aquariums' date=' so it is possible :encouragement:[/quote']

I used to have one in my sump :)

Till I decided I needed the space and changed for a small float valve.

Would just be a matter of modifying it to plug in the tiny tubing from the RO and have it all hold up to the mains pressure.

Currently I'm thinking the pressure reducer might be the easier option.

Edit: or chucking the hose out the window and filling up 300+L of tanks... I'm sure that wouldn't overflow overnight. :)

I used to have one in my sump :)

Till I decided I needed the space and changed for a small float valve.

Would just be a matter of modifying it to plug in the tiny tubing from the RO and have it all hold up to the mains pressure.

Currently I'm thinking the pressure reducer might be the easier option.

Edit: or chucking the hose out the window and filling up 300+L of tanks... I'm sure that wouldn't overflow overnight. :)

If you have a 1/2" male thread to connect to Try a duo valve ( isolating and non return combined ) then the connection to your r/o unit then a pressure limiting valve then some kind of adaptor to your float switch. It depends on what the operating pressure limit of the RO unit is, too low and it may not work, too high and it may damage it.

So the RO unit could go inline right before the float switch.