edishrimp

Feeding CRS bloodworms: Yay or Nay?

edishrimp

Hey guys!

I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕

Tank Parameters:

• Size: 14 Gallon Long
  • Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm
  • Nitrate 20ppm
  • pH 6.3
  • dKH 2
  • dGH 7
  • TDS 170
  • Temp 23-25c

Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄

So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 

Thanks for reading!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• sky99
      By sky99
      Hello everyone!
      I bought some pintos, and i did put them with my other bees (some panda, some king kong, some blue bolts).
      However, i can't seem to find if pintos do breed true (in that case, should i separate them? or will those mix with the others
      to make cool new paterns, colors, etc?)
      I have a hard time figuring what bee breed true if any.
      I've read that bee are a mutation of CRS/CBS, but do they produce  similar offsprings or is it more random as an interaction of
      multiple genes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • braga
      By braga
      Has any progress been made in figuring out how to keep riffle larvae alive?
      From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not entirely clear whether it's an issue of chemistry/hardness or food.
      This is a basic but important question, and I think it's easily answered by running a few experiments using water drawn from a creek where they naturally occur.

Is there anyone here that can help?
    • cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a “Breeder Combo Pack” (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      — Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• EBC
      By EBC
      Hi everyone, 
      I have been having a slow die off of my CRS over the last few of months. I am fairly new to this so I am not sure how to deal with this. 
      Tank: 28L
      Substrate: Fluval shrimp stratum (buffered to ~6.5)
      Current GH: 5
      KH: 0
      Temperature: 22 C
      Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites: ~0 ppm
      Bit of background:
      I started with 12 juvenile shrimp that I bought off a breeder in February this year. I started off using tap water (treated) with no problems. I got my first two berried females at the beginning of May. To this point I had had no deaths. At the beginning of June I had a couple (2) of deaths that I am still not sure the cause of. GH was low (2) at this time as I hadn't been testing for it, so that may have been the cause. Following those deaths I got some shrimp specific gh booster (saltyshrimp mineral GH+) and things seemed to recover. Berried females' eggs hatched at the beginning of June. One female became berried again in July. 
      Now the tank was a bit overgrown at this stage so it was hard to keep tabs on the shrimp. I didn't notice any more deaths until a recent move. Before moving the tank I removed a lot of the overgrown plants. Once getting it to the new place I only saw 6 shrimp (2 females, 4 male) so it seems there were a few lost between June and August. There was one small shrimp in there as well (seems the only baby who survived). 
      Since the move there was one death shortly after getting the tank set up. I chalked this one up to stress from the move. I haven't seen the baby shrimp since the second or so day after the move so I suspect that it has died as well. More recently I had a female die (at least I think it asa  female). See the first picture below. I noticed one day that she was behaving strangely. My shrimp haven't gone up to ride the floating frogbit since the first month I had them but a few days ago I noticed one up there. I went and had a look and she was just standing there. I also noticed that she seemed to be missing her long antennae. I snapped the below photo and went to work. When I got home, she was still there in the exact same spot. A few hours later, she was on the ground lying on her side. I poked at her and it was clear she was almost dead. Once I was sure she was dead, I removed her immediately. I did a test of the water and all parameters were good except pH which was high (around 7.2). Seems my buffered substrate had run out of buffering capacity due to the use of high PH tap water. I added some fresh substrate and did a water change with RO water and the pH is back to 6.5. Water change was done over the course of the day 1 litre at a time to avoid rapid swings in parameters. 
      My berried female was still doing well and her eggs hatched two days ago. She was active and seemed healthy the next day. Today I noticed her in the corner tipped over and not moving much. I snapped the below photo. I know the colour of the internal organs are meant to be a sign of bacterial infection, but I don't know what to really look for in a CRS. The colour in the second photo below looks odd to me. All limbs and antennae intact.
      EDIT: Just checked and the shrimp is dead. Anything I can do to try to determine the cause before I dispose of it?
      I am just at a loss at this stage. I feel like a bad shrimp keeper and I don't know what else to do. 
      Does this look/sound like a bacterial infection to you? What can I do to fix this?
      Thanks for your help and let me know if you need any more info!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• richiep
      I have a 220ltr tank been running 3 years a while ago they stopped breeding that's CRS &black bee in the same tank so I separated black bee and within two months the bl/bee are breeding yet the big tank still nothing water is ph6.5 gh5 kh1 temperature 23c those readings are the same in the 10ltr black bee, I do 15% water changes in all my shrimp tanks, I'm wondering should I do a big water change in the 220ltsi can't for the life of me think of what else to do, they have not bread for 6 months
    • Kingo
      Morning all, So i thought I might update this thread for any others experiencing necrosis issues. Thanks once again for your advice @jayc!    After 3 treatments of oregano oil, (at @jayc‘s recommended dosage with 3 different foods, 2 x commercial pellets, one of fresh blanched peas) AND increasing my 20% weekly PWC change to 50% twice weekly - my deaths in this tank have stopped. There are still a few w/advanced stages of cell degeneration showing. It appears to have stopped in its tracks for now.  First berries in 6-8 weeks have just been spied also. Perhaps too early to say if the issue has stoped completely. 
    • Kingo
      Hi all,  I am a constant lurker of old threads here it seems. Has anyone had success with crossing BM’s w/black with the goal of stabilising a darker line? 
    • richiep
      your idea of a small tank is worth a shot theres also black bee in the same tank that are not breeding they are the left overs from the transfer to a small tank
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Oh, wow! That really is a surprise then! Maybe your best bet will be to set up a breeder tank which you can then transfer them later into the bigger tank, I guess that will help with getting the best colours possible as well, selective breeding etc? Clutching a bit at straws here, but, It may be worth doing a significant water change if that is an old tank and usually only has a small change. Fresh water usually seems to excite my shrimps and I have noticed this often happens, I guess it is the equivalent of rain falling in the wild and seems to encourage moulting and frantic swimming! I would wait and see if anyone else  has any useful advice on here first though as it is quite likely someone has had your same experience and will know what to do but they may be in a different time zone etc so give it a day or so.  That plan to set up a small tank though is a good one and worth a bash, especially if you already have an old one lying about anyway. I do have some links on my computer so will read those and see if that throws anything up and let you know if I come across anything, probably be tomorrow now though! Simon