• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • waffle
      By waffle
      I've been avidly watching these little guys since receiving them yesterday, and I thought I'd make a new thread for the observations! Fist up some pics!
      Next, some interactions with shrimp. First up, a pair getting intimate (or failing to - looks like the male was just seeing if she was in the mood) while ignoring some nearby shrimp.

Next, a male getting territorial and chasing off a sunkist neo. Sorry about the lower quality - camera was set to low res accidentally. This movement is different from how they attack snails, so I think it's a territory issue rather than a hunting attempt. If you slow down the film you can see he raises his body and claws really high as though to look intimidating. But I'm not a crab expert so I dunno.

Next a shaky-cam quick-and-dirty video evidencing snail-eating prowess. Don't watch if you get motion sick!!

Next up, a rookie attempt at a close-up film. A bit shaky and focus is off, but you can see the female's cute face.

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Chiquarius
      Hello, I’ve recently decided to pivot my Neocaridina aquarium to supporting crystal or bee shrimp; even if it means the neos will be evicted if things don’t go well for them. I don’t want to pay a lot for substrate, nor do I want to do a substrate change or just dump a lot of new substrate in. I do realize I need an active substrate to maintain tank stability as I continue lowering the KH for the bees/crystals. I recently set up a shrimp-safe canister filter to keep the water clean enough for bees/crystals. I had a clever idea. I was going to purchase Akadama and put a significant amount as a substrate at the end of my filter media stack. This way all filtered water will run through the active substrate and hopefully have it’s desired effect on the water conditions. Has anybody heard of putting active substrate in the filtering media?
    • Steensj2004
      Question from a fellow aquarium friend, that I couldn’t answer:   Is Chitinolytic disease treatable with Fishmox( amoxicillin)? He asked me today why I hadn’t tried it, and I said I hadn’t considered it.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Have you even seen a berried shrimp as they may not be mature enough, or as you say they may need brackish water for a larvae stage? I had a hydra problem and used AquaSL Z-1 and it worked so it would be worth trying that if you can get it. It is a natural product so didn't harm anything and you just treat it the once. I did have to do a second treatment but it is easy enough and it is supposed to also work on Planaria! Simon
    • Ludwiggg17
      Hi there Simon Im terribly sorry for this very late reply but yeah i have bought my molly 2 friends for her to be distracted with. The natives are surely getting better cause im starting to notice that some of them are developing these white stripes on their back. But ive had a problem because ive had few to no juvies in the whole time i caught them. I dont know if these kind of shrimp need brackish water or they may simply just be eaten by the molly. Oh and by the way i have this really really annoying planaria infestation in the cull tank which could be an explanation to the lack of juvies but ive no comprehensive evidence of their absence.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You're doing fine so carry on as you are until you feel the cycle is done. My normal schedule is 10%water change every week however I don't think you need to do any while the cycle is going on until/unless the nitrates or ammonia get too high, or the PH gets too low. The lower the Ph the slower the bacteria reproduce! As you only have 2 shrimps they won't be messing the water enough anyway at this stage, I hope they are still doing well? Can you take a lower resolution photo, or reduce the photo size on a computer? If you want to email it to me I can reduce it for you lavissimon@gmail.com - I had to do it often in the past.. Simon