Sign in to follow this  
waffle

waffle's Amarinus Laevis

waffle

I've been avidly watching these little guys since receiving them yesterday, and I thought I'd make a new thread for the observations! Fist up some pics!large.DSC_0175.jpglarge.DSC_0170.jpglarge.DSC_0162.jpglarge.DSC_0158.jpglarge.DSC_0155.jpglarge.DSC_0152.jpglarge.DSC_0145.jpglarge.DSC_0135.jpg

Next, some interactions with shrimp. First up, a pair getting intimate (or failing to - looks like the male was just seeing if she was in the mood) while ignoring some nearby shrimp.

Next, a male getting territorial and chasing off a sunkist neo. Sorry about the lower quality - camera was set to low res accidentally. This movement is different from how they attack snails, so I think it's a territory issue rather than a hunting attempt. If you slow down the film you can see he raises his body and claws really high as though to look intimidating. But I'm not a crab expert so I dunno.

Next a shaky-cam quick-and-dirty video evidencing snail-eating prowess. Don't watch if you get motion sick!!

Next up, a rookie attempt at a close-up film. A bit shaky and focus is off, but you can see the female's cute face.

Edited by waffle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

waffle

This video shows their normal behaviour around shrimp. Just completely ignoring them. A male walks past a group of shrimp having dinner.

The DAS in the video are adults. The Tangs just reached maturity a couple weeks ago so will probs get a bit bigger.

About half a dozen times I've seen them walk right through groups of shrimp without trying to eat them. This is including a group of shrimplets. That vid of the territorial lunge was the only sign of aggression I've seen.

In terms of food, so far I've seen them:

--> Eating a ton of snails.

--> Sifting through the substrate for morsels, with shrimp following and picking up the leftovers.

--> Chewing mulberry leaves.

--> Picking algae off moss. 

--> Eating Australian Blackworm Pellets - this is their favourite by far.

• Like 2

waffle

Last vid of the night. The females like to launch and try to swim, and this one makes a fairly pathetic attempt and lands in some shrimp. 

• Like 1

waffle

Neo adults and shrimplets have got used to the crabs now. I saw them crawling on a bigger female as she walked around the tank.

Matuva

Think if I have time enough, I will go to visit again my nerite spot wher i also found some crabs. That's a brackish water spot, but I hope the crabs will acllimate to the soft water.

• Like 1

waffle

12 minutes ago, Matuva said:

Think if I have time enough, I will go to visit again my nerite spot wher i also found some crabs. That's a brackish water spot, but I hope the crabs will acllimate to the soft water.

Good luck!! Looking forward to hearing how the adventure goes ?

waffle

snapped these during lunch break. You can see the shrimplets and juvies hanging around the crab to get the particles she throws up. Shrimp are blurry and out of focus though - no time to set up tripod!peaceful crab.jpgpeaceful crab 2.jpgpeaceful crab 3.jpg

• Like 1

Matuva

Would they attack a nerite?

waffle
1 hour ago, Matuva said:

Would they attack a nerite?

Nerites have extremely hard shells and a trapdoor they can close, and I imagine that would make them immune to the little crabs I've got. My larger ramshorn snails  (no trap door, softer shell) are surviving, but some have been attacked and maimed a bit. 

It really depends what kind of crabs you find. Some crabs may be strong enough to break into a nerite shell or fast enough to grab its soft body before it pulls the hatch shut.

waffle

NoGi

Nice work with the media mate, I'm going to have to up my game lol

You should see if you can post to the SKF YouTube channel

waffle
1 hour ago, NoGi said:

Nice work with the media mate, I'm going to have to up my game lol

You should see if you can post to the SKF YouTube channel

You mean like upload videos there? I'm a youtube noob so I didn't know you could do that!

I was actually going to ask you if you were after submissions for it haha

waffle

DSC_0505.jpg

• Like 1

waffle

These guys are still going really well. Shrimp crawl all over them now. I've even seen shrimp ride on their backs as they have territorial standoffs with each other (they never hurt each other - just kinda have a stare-down and wave their claws). 

Edited by waffle
  • Like 2

waffle

So a bit of an update on these guys.

I lost half of them when someone sprayed cleaning products around my desk T_T 

The remainder were tough bastards - they survived 3-4 more months whereas no shrimp made it more than a month after the incident. I miss them heaps. I'll likely have to move away from Australia for a few years sometime soon, but someday I'd love to make a species tank for these and breed them. 

• Like 2

wulilions

Hi mate, 

I'm sorry to hear about your crabs, 

But I was wondering if you had any survivors you would be happy to give away or sell as I'm super keen on getting some for my tank. 

Please contact me on here

Thanks

Wulilions 

waffle

Hi Wulilions,

Sorry, no crabs at the moment sadly. I'm pretty sure a few people in victoria still breed them!!

RealSlimSquiddy

Anyone breeding crabs or know of anyone who does?
Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marin

Resurrecting an old thread.... anybody have any contact details for anybody who may be getting rid of, or is breeding these? I've had them in the past, now setup my 600L community tank and am keen as to have some again.

• Like 1

Crabby

@Rare Aqua used to breed a. lacustris, but I believe he lost all of his stock when he was travelling. Haven't been in contact with him since. @Linden I believe still keeps and breeds a. laevis, and last I heard he had hundreds. I've tried getting in contact with him to purchase some but I don't think he ever responded. Otherwise I don't think I have heard of anybody. Where are you located?

If you find someone in Au, lmk, cuz I've been after Amarinus crabs for a while.

• Like 1

Crabby

Okay, update on the gumtree seller mentioned above - they have a. lacustris juvies available, if you're interested in those.

• Like 1

marin

I'm in the Dandy Ranges in Melb. I saw those, but they are too small for my tank. I bought from Harrison last time. Didn't know at the time how rare they were.

Crabby

Oh cool, I’m kinda nearby. I was thinking they would be too small, but I drew out the adult dimensions (carapace 10mm diameter and 20mm diameter inc legs) and they’re the perfect size! That is... for my 30 litre tank... 😂

I can understand why you’re going for Laevis. 

I’ve heard of Harrison, never met him, but haven’t heard anything about him recently. I would assume that he doesn’t breed them anymore based on you coming on here instead of back to him?

marin
42 minutes ago, Crabby said:

clip

I’ve heard of Harrison, never met him, but haven’t heard anything about him recently. I would assume that he doesn’t breed them anymore based on you coming on here instead of back to him?

It was so long ago that I no longer have his details. I have a screen shot still on my phone of his Gumtree advert at the time, with all the details, EXCEPT his phone number first half is ****'d out, only have the last few digits LOL

I contacted Andrew Lockheart, in Selby (The Aquatic Vault), as I'm pretty sure he got some in last year, but he's said they are more of a warm weather stock, which gives me hope that he can get them, BUT I want them now lol

• Like 1