First Serious Shrimp Tank

Burnz

Hello all new member here. Im currently setting up my first shrimp tank since moving back to WA. Had alot of fish tanks and 1 shrimp tank with numerous cherries a few years ago in NSW.

Tank im setting up is 3ft around 130 litres I think. 18kg of ADA amazonia substrate and currently has a Fluval internal filter until the water is cleared up from the damn substrate! Planning on switching to 2 or 3 sponge filters once I get some shrimp.

I will be planting the tank with some type of moss and a few plants yet but im still undecided on which.. and also undecided on lighting. 

Shrimp going in will be chocolate cherries, and ill be setting up a small 1ft tank for some other shrimp.. ill post pics once the water clears up a bit.

• Like 2

Welcome to SKF @Burnz

Looking forward to seeing the set up

Thats the tank at the moment, water has cleared up a bit overnight. Just a few ornaments in there from my old tanks for now. Still no light, been searching the shed for an old one but looks like ill need to bite the bullet and buy one, and ill have to buy a heater aswell when I get some plants.

Should I add plants now or wait until tank is cycled?

20160427_093945.jpg

Just checked the pH for the first time since adding ADA Amazonia. PH has gone from 7.8 down to 6.0, i wasnt expecting that much of a change. Hopefully it levels out a bit in the next week or so... Still a few floatys from the substrate.

45 minutes ago, Burnz said:

Still a few floatys from the substrate.

That's what I hate about ADA Amazonia, the floaties.

That's why I swapped to Cal Aqua Labs Black Earth Premium.

Sounds like you are close to a water change with tap water (dechlorinated) to bump up the pH.

Have you got a heater in there? Can't see one. 

We are heading into winter, so your tank won't be warm enough for ideal bacteria growth.

Need to keep it at 26 minimum, ideally 28 deg C for quicker cycling. Put a lid on it to maintain trap that heat.

If you let temps and pH drop too much, you will be wondering why your tank is not cycled even after 3 months. Mind you, Amazonia takes a long time to cycle on on its own, you don't want to prolong it any further.

Edited by jayc

Ahhh I had no idea bacterial growth depended on temperature I didnt even think of that! I will get a heater in there ASAP. I need to make up a lid, I bought the tank 2nd hand and it didnt come with one.

Got rid of 99% of the floatys. Went with ADA amazonia because reading up it seems it is better for rooting plants than Fluval Stratum, and also lasts longer.

The last few days ive just been reading, reading and reading the forums for information and I think I have a better idea of what I want to do with my tank..

Filters - I will be going with 2x double sponge filters driven off air pump (one at each end) and a small HOB filter towards the centre for water circulation.

Lighting - Still not sure what to do here, need to research more. A long time ago I dabbled a bit in hydroponics and back then LEDs were just hitting the scene and they were pretty crap grow lights, which is why im hesitant to go LED over fluros because I want to have a planted tank. What do you guys think of LED vs fluros as aquarium lights? Any difference in plant health and growth?

Plants - Will be going with alot of moss and some java ferns I think, with a couple of Anubias. Will have to see what I can get locally when im ready.

I will be stocking the tank with some cherries and ninja shrimp to begin with, then after tank is well established I will be adding some form of CRS

48 minutes ago, Burnz said:

Lighting - Still not sure what to do here, need to research more. A long time ago I dabbled a bit in hydroponics and back then LEDs were just hitting the scene and they were pretty crap grow lights, which is why im hesitant to go LED over fluros because I want to have a planted tank. What do you guys think of LED vs fluros as aquarium lights? Any difference in plant health and growth?

Plants - Will be going with alot of moss and some java ferns I think, with a couple of Anubias. Will have to see what I can get locally when im ready.

I've seen heaps of people running -amazing- planted setups with LEDs rather than fluros.

I get pretty solid java fern, anubias, and moss growth from LEDs in my tanks. And my LEDs are pretty low-end. I recently took all the java moss out of most of them because it was growing too fast, but that's just java moss in general -_- Other mosses seem to do fine too. Subwassertang is also growing heaps.

@Burnz, lighting is a very personal choice.

Fortunately, mosses, ferns, anubias, and subwassertang ... all the popular types of plants for a shrimp tank are all low light plants. That means you can get away with very little light. Whatever you pick, doesn't have to be a super powerful emitting the highest lumens. 

Having said that, you will find LEDs are now super capable of growing any high light demand plants. They have come a long way since those first models.

Edited by jayc

Changed a few things in the tank today... changed the filters to 2x aqua one sponge filters designed for 60 litre tank, bought a couple of small plants and added a small male and a small female bristlenose. Still need to buy a 3ft light to suit.. and make up a lid. Would acrylic or glass be better?

I think I will get 1 maybe 2 more plants, and some mosses and that will be it for the plants. Add a few more hides and thats about it I think? Almost ready for some shrimp!

20160503_155520.jpg

• Like 1

Glass for the lid. Acrylic tends to bow after some time.

aot of good progress going on in your tank, i bet the ornaments dont last more then a month after shrimp are in there before you remove them so you can see the shrimp better :P

Looking good man.

I recommend you get some moss in there.

I love seeing new tanks come to life. One of the most exciting parts is when it comes to shrimp time!