Divided 55G Neo/Tiger Tank

wot_fan

I am cycling a 55 gallon (208L) tank.  It is divided into 3 sections using Poret foam.  There is also a Poret foam corner filter acting as a pre-filter for the canister filter.  I haven't seen a tank setup like this so I thought I would share my experiences with all of you :o).

Here is the equipment I am using on the tank:

• 3" thick 30PPI Poret Foam Dividers
  • 2" thick 45PPI Poret Foam Corner Filter
  • CaribSea Flora Max Panted Aquarium substrate (inert)
  • 48" Current Satellite+ Pro Light
  • Aqueon 250W Heater
  • Fluval 306 Canister Filter with Marine Pure media
  • Tunze Osmolator Top Off System
  • Pinpoint pH monitor

The tank has been cycling for about 2 and a half weeks.  I am using RO water with Shrimpy Daddy products and following the tank cycling procedure on his website.  The Ammonia and Nitrite levels were 0 by the end of the second week.  If everything continues to go well, I should be able to add shrimp in 2-3 weeks.

My current plan is to have a neocaridina and tiger colony in each section.  

• Snowballs with Super Tigers
  • Yellow Cherries with Red Tigers
  • PFRs with OEBTs

Here are a few pictures of the tank's progress.  This pictures shows the tank after I painted the back.

01_Painted.jpg

These pics show the equipment being added.  I used wire ties to hold the air lines in place.

02_Assbly_1.jpg03_Assbly_2.jpg

Here is the tank after SD's products were added.

04_Dosed.jpg

This one was taken right after the tank was filled.

05_Filled.jpg

The corner filter has more than enough room to hide the canister intake, the heater and the pH probe.

05b_Corner_Filter.jpg

Added some teddy bear cholla wood.

06_Cholla.jpg

Here it is after I added a few plants.

07_Plants.jpg

I will add a few more plants this week.  I will post a picture afterwards.

I would love to hear any comments or suggestions.  Thanks.

• Like 6

I really like how this set up looks.

I will use this foam in the future to do slip set up's. It looks really good and the amount of food the shrimp will be able to pick off it will be huge. Really looking forward to seeing the shrimp you get

Looks so neat and tidy. I really like those moss ball that look like they are floating. I think they will look really good once they grow out.

Do they come in different lengths? I think it would be nice to have them high in the tank.

Looks so neat and tidy. I really like those moss ball that look like they are floating. I think they will look really good once they grow out.

Do they come in different lengths? I think it would be nice to have them high in the tank.

Thanks Disciple.  

The moss balls are just 1" square pieces of sponge that I tied moss to.  The sponge is sitting on top of a 6" glass stirring rod commonly used in chemistry labs.  I have a little control over the height by how far I push it into the substrate.  I have a couple of 12" rods that I may add to the tank the next time I have extra moss.  I like having moss in the tank but it can be a pain to trim when it is attached to large layout material.  These should be easy to remove from the tank when trimming time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

I received 2 packages containing shrimp today :).  The first contained OEBT's.  The second contained PFR's, Snowballs, Yellow and Super Tigers.  Unfortunately, the bag containing the yellows broke in transit :(.  I should have replacements next week.

I put the Snowballs and Super Tigers in the left section.  The PFR's and the OEBT's went into the middle section.  The right section is for the yellows and Red Tigers (once I find some).

In a few days, after the shrimp become comfortable in their new home, I will take some pictures of them.  In the meantime, below are some new shots of the tank.  I added a little more moss to each section since the last pictures.

IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0607.jpgIMG_0605.jpgIMG_0609.jpg

• Like 2

I took some pics of my new shrimp this evening.  I didn't want to stress the shrimp out since they have only been in the tank for 24 hours so I didn't use a flash.  The picture quality is therefore not the best.  I'll take more pics (with a flash) in a few days.

IMG_0619.jpgIMG_0917.jpgIMG_0971.jpgIMG_0990.jpgIMG_0653.jpgIMG_0657.jpgIMG_0699.jpgIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0812.jpgIMG_0859.jpgIMG_0635.jpgIMG_0671.jpgIMG_0684.jpgIMG_0721.jpgIMG_0788.jpgIMG_0819.jpg

Great shrimp mate. The pfr are awesome i hope they become availiable in aus one day.

Love the oebt's too. Never seen super tigers before.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Disciple said:

Great shrimp mate. The pfr are awesome i hope they become availiable in aus one day.

Love the oebt's too. Never seen super tigers before.

Thanks buddy.  I am really happy with the shrimp I have received.  I wish I could send you some of the PFR and super tigers.  You already have beautiful OEBTs ;).

• Like 1

I took some more pics that I would like to share.  I used a flash this time so there more detail in these.  Here are the OEBT's. 

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

PFRs

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg