Sign in to follow this  
Baccus

How may Natives do you have?

Baccus

After doing some species counts I was pretty surprised at how many native shrimp I currently have.

First is what I am assuming are local grass shrimp, which I easily catch with macrobachium, just the macros I tend to put back in the wild rather than keep.

Then there are Riffle shrimp

Chameleon shrimp

Darwin Red Nose Shrimp

Darwin Algae Shrimp

Typhus Shrimp

And a large macrobachium looking shrimp that I have never formally identified.

I did have the other type of Red nose shrimp that doesn't breed in fresh water which I think has now died out in my tanks.

I did have Barney Springs shrimp which I think have either since died out or are disguising themselves in with the Blackmores. The zebras I had I know sadly died out.

I also have some native snails which I am pretty chuffed with and then some native fish such as Threadfin rainbows, spotted blue eyes, Pacific Blue eyes, locally caught rainbows and Streets Creek rainbows, pygmy rainbows and in the back pond I am pretty sure their are still come purple spot gudgeons.

Never did I think I would end up with so many natives and still be on the hunt for some other elusive natives like some local  Rhads.

• Like 2

GotCrabs

I've kept Chameleon Shrimp, Darwin Algae Shrimp, as you know I'm looking at keeping natives for the tank I have at the moment but just not sure of which, Darwin Red Noses are nice, Blackmore River Caridina are also, you mentioned Riffles earlier and they seem nice, just not sure what I'll end up keeping, haha.

Baccus

I have a real soft spot for riffles, and love watching them waving their nets through the water. Typhus too are a lovely shrimp and prone to getting nice patterns and colours. Also typhus don't seem to get as big as riffles and do not have the net feeding so don't need as good water flow as riffles tend to.

Managing to keep and breed zebra shrimp would be my holey grail, I love them but alas just cant seem to keep them.

• Like 1

fishmosy

I have pretty much the same list as you Baccus, except no macros, but some new species.

1. riffles
  2. typus
  3. Caridina cf. confusa "Short Creek"
  4. zebras
  5. Caridina sp. "Barney Springs"
  6. Caridina sp. "Malanda"
  7. chameleons
  8. Paratya australiensis
  9. Caridina gracilirostris
  10. Caridina sp. "Darwin red nose"

Admittedly the jury is still out over whether the last two are seperate species. DNA says they are but I cannot tell the difference morphologically. 

The Barneys and the Malanda may be the same species too. 

I've also kept Caridina longirostris and plan on keeping Caridina indistincta "Clade C" once I find some more in the Beliinger River. 

• Like 1

Grubs

I've got DAS, Chameleons, C. typus, DRNS, Riffles, Zebras, C. wilkinsi here.  I must get off my backside and get some local Paratya!

fishmosy

As a hobby, we need to re-establish the red Paratya back in the hobby. Some pics I've seen of them suggest they aren't even australiensis as the rostrum is the wrong shape. Maybe there are several red shrimp. 

The paratya I'm keeping have the tiger stripes on the back. Well at least they have them sometimes. The stripes disappeared when I added the shrimp to the tank nearly 12 months ago now. However they had the stripes again last week. I think it may be something to do with the warmer weather - getting ready for breeding time. I must go back to the creek to see if they are striped up too. They look fantastic when they are. 

• Like 1

inverted

A bit ashamed to admit... I have none!

would like to fix that soon 

NoGi

A lot lol, One half of my 4' is only natives.

• Like 1

Paul Minett

I have riffles, Parataya, DAS and macro brachium have chameleon's coming soon I want to get zebs and a few others the natives are undervalued and should be given greater appreciation

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• ErinF
      By ErinF
      Hi! 
      I know this has probably been asked a million times before but my shrimp keep dying and it's truely a mystery and being very new to shrimp keeping I'm hoping someone can help. Sorry this is long, tia! 

I cycled my 21L tank for 2 months with plants (anubias on driftwood and hair grass with some floating rotala) I use Seachem Prime and Stability. 

I tested everything and all was fine (we keep fish so I'm not new to water parameters just shrimp) I put in 3 large natives (pictured) and a pack of 10 glass shrimp I ordered from livefish.

All of the glass died within the week but the natives (transferred over from my housemates tank) are still thriving and have even shed the other week and grew a little. I feed algae wafers every 3 days and Hikari shrimp cuisine every second.

Did a small water change last week (10-15%) and on the weekend put in 2 cherries and 3 glass from an aquarium shop in. One of the cherries is dead and the others except 2 are hiding and I havnt seen them since the first day. 

I've noticed a few detritus worms on my glass, could it be an oxygen issue? Temp is at 23°c same as housemates tank but the aquarium shop didn't seem to have a heater and livefish sent the glass in bags that arrived cold I floated the bags and let a little of my water in for about 40 mins before setting them free.

• layfishies
      By layfishies
      Hi all,
      I'm relatively recent to fish and shrimp keeping. 
      I'm a freshwater ecologist in my day job, but only got around to keeping the fish and shrimp In the last 12 months.
      And now I've got 4 tanks and I'm wondering if my wife will notice if I add another!
      I've got a 215L Aquaone 980 heavily planted (DIY CO2) community tank in our living area (pearl gourami, kribensis, ottos, hengeli raspboras, Cardinal tetras and Cory sterbai).
      I kitted out the walls of our garage a few years back with about 10m of floor to ceiling storage racks to keep things tidy. Only now it's being converted to a fish den.
      In the garage I've got 2x 2ft tanks and a 40L quarantine tank.
      One of the 2ft tanks is heavily planted with DIY CO2 and 22W LEDS. It's got RCS in it at the moment and some Neon Tetras. 
      The other 2ft tank is being prepared for CRS.
      And finally the 40L quarantine tank currently has 5 native long arm shrimp in it (Macrobrachium australiense). But they are absolute assassins (the victims so far include 4 neon tetras, 2 barbs, and one black widow tetra) and are about to be sold off to a good home. 

Cheers
      Paul
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      I'm not all that sure that pure RO or Zerowater is all that healthy to drink all the time as when it is filtered it removes everything, good and bad but I could be wrong as I am not known for my healthy eating........... Even for the shrimps you need to add back the good bits with GH+ (or GH/KH+)? www.zerowater.com I had a quick look and most of the range is available from walmart and the prices are the same (near enough) to the manufacturers website! Bear in mind that water going through the filter of this size is a SLOW business so if you are going to multi-use it, or do many litres each time you are best to get a largish one as kms states, so you can just fill the top bit and leave it to do its thing! If you do get a larger one you may also get a TDS meter (hand as a spare). You need to change the filter before it gets to TDS 006 and in my experience that happens suddenly so as soon as you get ANY TDS you will need to keep a closer eye on it (ie I probably get 90L at 000, then 6L at 001, then 4L at 002 and then TDS goes up each litre - hope that makes sense?). Simon
    • Chiquarius
      Thanks everyone. What scares me is that I’ve been drinking and feeding my children ‘filtered water’ with TDS 160+ for years. I thought the filter I had was filtering out heavy metals (lead, chromium). Maybe so, I actually sending samples for free water quality testing. It seems like the zero filter is the way to go.  Rain water is also brilliant for the shrimp. I’m not sure how polluted it is where I am. I have rain barrels but I also dose with mosquito dunks which I fear are toxic to shrimp. I definitely want to get into crystal and bee shrimp and be healthier.
    • kms
      Like@sdlTBfanUK, which he recommended the zerowater to me, I got the table top 23 cup version, and recently I got a jug 10 cup version, the jug version works out cheaper than than just getting the filter from where I live. It's a must is a RO system cost too much. You can also consider the Oceanfree hydra in tank or canister filter, they do improve the water quality, it all depends on if you can obtain one, they have a large range.
    • beanbag
      Buy these items for a bit over $200: https://www.spectrapure.com/product/maxpure-mpro-90-gpd-ro-system-mpro-90/ and ask them to switch out the carbon block for a chloramine block https://www.spectrapure.com/product/inline-10-inch-gac-carbon-filter-cartridge-0-25-inch-quick-connect-cf-in-10-4jg/ https://www.spectrapure.com/product/hm-digital-sm-1-inline-single-probe-tds-meter-mtr-tds-sm1/ and also ask them if you are missing any minor parts like fittings. Or piece together a similar system on Amazon for a little bit less. U got to pay to play if you want clean water. The bonus is that you can drink this water yourself.    
    • beanbag
      I see that the two water levels are not the same, which means the pipe has air in it