Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

erwan

Benefits of having a Bonzai Driftwood for your aquaspace

erwan    3
erwan
dding an aquarium to your landscape must be the ultimate due to its unique nature and aesthetic value. Although it may seem a complicated art, aquascape has been in existence for several decades, and thus one can borrow some of the previously used ideas and add their personal touch. Some of the old ideas include adding rocks and wood in the aquarium.

New aquarium trend

In the recent past, it has become impossible to talk about designing a landscape without mentioning the use of aquarium driftwood. One of the reasons is because Bonzai offers landscapers the choice of many colors and sizes. Most importantly, Bonzai can be crafted so to suit unique needs but at the same time maintain its natural feel.
Similarly, Bonzai driftwood has a become a trendy design idea in aquascape for its ability to create a natural scene Noteworthy; aqua scaping involves a lot of science because of the aqua-life involved. On the other hand, it involves exhibition of beauty which should not be lost in the midst of preserving the aqua-life. It is, therefore, a tough balance of beauty and life because having an aqua-life is solely not about raising fish.
To landscapers in the aqua space world, bonsai driftwood is the ultimate accessory. This is because bonsai driftwood carries with it an extraordinary touch of beauty but at the same time provides the much-needed safety for the qualify.

Maintain lower PH level

Foremost, aquascape with bonsai works to soften the PH level in water which in turn lowers the PH level. Specifically, bonsai contain tannic acid that softens the water thereby lowering the PH level. The lowering of the water PH can be very beneficial more so for fish species that grow well in an acidic habitat as opposed to the natural PH.
Also, it has been shown that bonsai makes the aquarium look more natural by making the water look natural. In fact, the water resembles natural environments such as rivers.
Moreover, bonsai driftwood is now available as a handcrafted piece that binds the fragments of wood considered aquarium- safe together. The bonsai driftwood is crafted in many shapes and sizes and uniquely imitates a beautiful underwater tree for the aqua space.
More so, aquarium driftwood a proves an ideal piece in aqua space as it can be used to change the natural hue of water. Noteworthy, Only certain species work in this regard. Therefore where one wishes to have an aquarium with slightly differently colored water, they should ascertain that they use the correct species.
Another benefit is that bonsai driftwood is a source of food for the aquatic species. More so, bonsai driftwood is rich in nutrients for fish. Some of its nutrient content are ignin and cellulose.
In addition to acting as a safe hide away for fish, bonsai driftwood is beneficial as it provides an ideal habitat for the good bacteria. The good bacteria works to eliminate the harmful substances that may be contained in water such as nitrates and ammonia. Remember, the key to providing a comfortable aquatic life is providing an environment that is nearly similar to the natural habitat.

Bonzai act as a filtration system

Further, the bonsai leaves act as a filtration system for nitrates and thus aid in creating a balanced carbon cycle. Moreover, just like most aquatic plants, adding fish tank ornaments in the aquarium helps in the aeration of the water. Essentially, aerating the aquarium is saturating the water column with oxygen thus making the water an ideal space for the fish to thrive in. The wood, while undergoing photosynthesis will release oxygen and consume the carbon dioxide that fish respires.
Besides, Bonzai driftwood is a 100% natural and therefore does not contain any chemicals that may be said to cause harm to the fish. Though the wood releases carbon dioxide at night, this has been proven to have no detrimental effect on the fish.
Besides, having driftwood in your aqua space makes the fish more comfortable. This is because the fish will feel more protected as they have a place to hide when they feel danger around them. The twisted nature of bonsai driftwood the fact that and works well to give the fish a safe hiding space.
To add to this beauty, landscapers should consider layering the bonsai driftwood with rocks. Most importantly, if considering to buy bonsai driftwoods from aquatic shops. Also, ensure that there is enough space to place the driftwood because the wood tends to be large.

View full article

• Like 1

NoGi    1,343
NoGi

Great write up @erwan, thanks for sharing

exo-aquaristic    10
exo-aquaristic

Great write up! We'd also like to add it here:

BONZAI ACT AS A FILTRATION SYSTEM

Further, the bonsai leaves act as a filtration system for nitrates and thus aid in creating a balanced carbon cycle. Moreover, just like most aquatic plants, adding fish tank ornaments in the aquarium helps in the aeration of the water. Essentially, aerating the aquarium is saturating the water column with oxygen thus making the water an ideal space for the fish to thrive in. The wood, while undergoing photosynthesis will release oxygen and consume the carbon dioxide that fish respires.
Besides, Bonzai driftwood is a 100% natural and therefore does not contain any chemicals that may be said to cause harm to the fish. Though the wood releases carbon dioxide at night, this has been proven to have no detrimental effect on the fish.
Besides, having driftwood in your aqua space makes the fish more comfortable. This is because the fish will feel more protected as they have a place to hide when they feel danger around them. The twisted nature of bonsai driftwood the fact that and works well to give the fish a safe hiding space.
To add to this beauty, landscapers should consider layering the bonsai driftwood with rocks. Most importantly, if considering to buy bonsai driftwoods from aquatic shops. Also, ensure that there is enough space to place the driftwood because the wood tends to be large.
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• erwan
      By erwan
      dding an aquarium to your landscape must be the ultimate due to its unique nature and aesthetic value. Although it may seem a complicated art, aquascape has been in existence for several decades, and thus one can borrow some of the previously used ideas and add their personal touch. Some of the old ideas include adding rocks and wood in the aquarium.   New aquarium trend
      In the recent past, it has become impossible to talk about designing a landscape without mentioning the use of aquarium driftwood. One of the reasons is because Bonzai offers landscapers the choice of many colors and sizes. Most importantly, Bonzai can be crafted so to suit unique needs but at the same time maintain its natural feel. Similarly, Bonzai driftwood has a become a trendy design idea in aquascape for its ability to create a natural scene Noteworthy; aqua scaping involves a lot of science because of the aqua-life involved. On the other hand, it involves exhibition of beauty which should not be lost in the midst of preserving the aqua-life. It is, therefore, a tough balance of beauty and life because having an aqua-life is solely not about raising fish. To landscapers in the aqua space world, bonsai driftwood is the ultimate accessory. This is because bonsai driftwood carries with it an extraordinary touch of beauty but at the same time provides the much-needed safety for the qualify.   Maintain lower PH level
      Foremost, aquascape with bonsai works to soften the PH level in water which in turn lowers the PH level. Specifically, bonsai contain tannic acid that softens the water thereby lowering the PH level. The lowering of the water PH can be very beneficial more so for fish species that grow well in an acidic habitat as opposed to the natural PH. Also, it has been shown that bonsai makes the aquarium look more natural by making the water look natural. In fact, the water resembles natural environments such as rivers. Moreover, bonsai driftwood is now available as a handcrafted piece that binds the fragments of wood considered aquarium- safe together. The bonsai driftwood is crafted in many shapes and sizes and uniquely imitates a beautiful underwater tree for the aqua space. More so, aquarium driftwood a proves an ideal piece in aqua space as it can be used to change the natural hue of water. Noteworthy, Only certain species work in this regard. Therefore where one wishes to have an aquarium with slightly differently colored water, they should ascertain that they use the correct species. Another benefit is that bonsai driftwood is a source of food for the aquatic species. More so, bonsai driftwood is rich in nutrients for fish. Some of its nutrient content are ignin and cellulose. In addition to acting as a safe hide away for fish, bonsai driftwood is beneficial as it provides an ideal habitat for the good bacteria. The good bacteria works to eliminate the harmful substances that may be contained in water such as nitrates and ammonia. Remember, the key to providing a comfortable aquatic life is providing an environment that is nearly similar to the natural habitat.   Bonzai act as a filtration system
      Further, the bonsai leaves act as a filtration system for nitrates and thus aid in creating a balanced carbon cycle. Moreover, just like most aquatic plants, adding fish tank ornaments in the aquarium helps in the aeration of the water. Essentially, aerating the aquarium is saturating the water column with oxygen thus making the water an ideal space for the fish to thrive in. The wood, while undergoing photosynthesis will release oxygen and consume the carbon dioxide that fish respires. Besides, Bonzai driftwood is a 100% natural and therefore does not contain any chemicals that may be said to cause harm to the fish. Though the wood releases carbon dioxide at night, this has been proven to have no detrimental effect on the fish. Besides, having driftwood in your aqua space makes the fish more comfortable. This is because the fish will feel more protected as they have a place to hide when they feel danger around them. The twisted nature of bonsai driftwood the fact that and works well to give the fish a safe hiding space. To add to this beauty, landscapers should consider layering the bonsai driftwood with rocks. Most importantly, if considering to buy bonsai driftwoods from aquatic shops. Also, ensure that there is enough space to place the driftwood because the wood tends to be large.
    • TinkyTinks
      By TinkyTinks
      Just bought some small spiderwood and about to set my new tank up, so a couple of questions about boiling It.
      I understand I need to boil it to release any tannins/help it sink. I've seen varying advice on how long to boil it, from 15mins to a few hours, to soaking it for weeks.
      1. I've got 2 small pieces, so do I just boil until they sink? (If they sink yet)
      2. Is it ok to boil in tap water as I've only got enough RO for my tank?
      Thanks
      Update: currently got them boiling in tap water!
    • GotCrabs
      By GotCrabs
      Hi all, just looking into to doing an all Chameleon Shrimp only tank set up, I have a 27l tank which I had planned to do but decided against it, so now looking to perhaps do the same tank but with no plant life, except mosses, driftwood, just after some information for a I guess you could call a Chameleon Biotope tank.
      Substrate? Flora? Water Parameters? 
      The tank will be some time off from being started as I want to look into everything first.
      Mosses I have in mind are Native Weeping Moss, mini Pellia, any others I could perhaps consider?
      Driftwood will be a piece of Gold Vine.
      Thoughts?
    • GotCrabs
      By GotCrabs
      Well I decided to add some pieces of plant to a couple of Malaysian Driftwood pieces I had, so while I was pulling this and that out of the tank to sell off or use elsewhere I kept some small pieces of plant and added them to the Malaysian Driftwood.
      I'm happy with the end result, didn't want to go overboard on them so just small pieces here and there, these two pieces will be used in my next rescape, when ever that happens, but for now are sitting in a small tank with my Common Bristlenose.
      Plants added were Anubias nana, Needle Leaf Java Fern, Thor's Hammer Java Fern, Bolbitis Heudelotii, Crested Java Fern, was going to add some Christmas Moss but think it'll get out of control though eventually.
      So here it is, the end product, once again taken with an iPhone 5s and it's crap camera.

• Topics

• pmasa
      Thanks for all the tips @Baccus, the route that i am currently taking is to get a at least on blue adult then separate it with a male/female and go from there. At this stage i am still waiting for them to grow to adult and to make sure that they hold their colour through to adulthood. @revolutionhope i have a feeling that black shrimp start as blue and the colour gets deeper as they get older until the point that it almost looks black. I found when i first opened the parcel with the shrimp that the stressed state caused more of the underlying blue to come out, before darkening again. I currently have 4 tanks at my disposal for shrimp, however i would like to get into the caridinas and devote a tank to them... As an aside i have found that the 3 females (+1 reddish male) in my 60L community tank are significantly larger than those in their own tanks, i am wondering if the slightly warmer temperature and significantly more abundant food is playing a role in the size.
    • EBC
      It was Fluval Shrimp Stratum which I have learned tends to have a relatively short life span compared to other soils. Will probably just replace it all in about 6 months when I move again. Any recommendations for one that will last the longest? And one that I can actually buy in Australia? But yes, I imagine that she was just weak from the pH swings from before. The three remaining males all seem perfectly healthy for now at least. I'll give it some time to make sure there are no more deaths and then maybe find a nice female to add. I have seen varying opinions on this, but how often would you suggest doing water changes (standard, not emergency) on a small tank like mine (28L)? I was doing them pretty infrequently before (~monthly; 20%) as I was using tap water so I wanted to avoid too many. Now that I will have an RO system would ~10% weekly be better? Or something else? Thanks again.
    • KillieOrCory
      Nice. Look forward to seeing the progress. I am too impatient to start from scratch but the challenge seems worthwhile to attempt.
    • revolutionhope
      When you added soil can I ask what soil it was ? Did you pre-cycle it? Also it's worth noting that if that shrimp had been through some stress while exposed to high pH they will have weakened immune systems and so other little issues can tip them over the edge.   More than once I've discovered problems and corrected them as carefully as I could only to still watch the occasional shrimp die over the following days and weeks still despite conditions being ideal I believe.   will     PS Just as an aside - ¥others will have different opinions and prefer to do multiple smaller waterchanges but my modus operandi when I feel that a tank is "stuffed" is to do one or two huuuuuuge waterchanges - carefully allowing the new water to drip in slowly over 24-48 hours and then leave it be. The three times now that I've done this to get myself out of a bad spot I have found that although some already weak shrimp may continue to pass away over the following days even up to 2 or 3 weeks later but the healthier ones bounce back quickly and are breeding already within a few weeks.
    • EBC
      No real updates unfortunately. All water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, KH, GH, pH) were perfect on the day she died. All I can think is that the lack of buffering capacity left in the soil resulted in pH swings that killed her.  I added more soil and the water is back to being buffered at pH 6.4. I have switched to only using RO water now (bought 20L for now but have an RO unit on the way). Hopefully the substrate will buffer a bit longer now and this won't happen again. Just a shame as there are only 3 adult male CRS left in the tank plus the shrimplets from the female that just died. Could be a while before the numbers get back up on their own so I may need to replenish them (also a bit of genetic diversity would be good). How do people usually handle switching out substrate? Especially with baby shrimps around, that sounds like a real hassle and you are bound to lose some. Is there some special technique? Thanks!
  • Featured Products

• Recent Articles