Chlorella Powder for newly hached shrimplets?

Aquathumb

Thinking of using organic Chlorella powder to feed new born shrimplets. The powder is very very fine and would defiantly be manageable for the littlest of shrimp. My only concern is that it will foul the water faster then my current baby food, Biozyme so care would be needed not to over feed.

Thoughts?

I use this in my 'Substance' food that I make, for babies I just grind it up using a mortar and pestle. This is the main ingredient with spirulina powder. No issues of soiling for me :)

You're right Aquathumb, because uneaten biozyme should go some way towards cleaning the water rather than the reverse. However you only need to add tiny amounts of spirulina, chlorella or other powders for baby shrimp and the filtration should be able to deal with it fine. If you're really concerned then start with extra small doses and build it up slowly from there. 

When I feed spirulina or other powders I tend to add the amount I can fit on the end of a toothpick per 18x12x10" tank and that's never been a problem. I alternate between biozyme, spirulina and more recently a barley/wheat grass blend. 

Thank for the input Anaeflurane & kizshrimp. I will give it a try in my TB tank. Have a Redwine TBM born yesterday who can be the test subject  :phew:

• Like 1

I have used it and it works well in small amounts, mine got damp and formed little balls, I could drop them in one at a time??

There is a experiment for you, make balls out if it and dry them???

I also use it on small fish along with other foods, as an extra, works

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

My Baby Powder has Chlorella in it, as well as lots of other goodies for shrimplets, & they love the stuff. My girlfriend also uses it on her endlers & she says it makes them grow faster & colour up quicker than the ones that don't get fed the powder. They love it too. :thumbsu:

• Like 1

Spirulana along with chlorella should be used on small amounts as it is quiet potent. I personnaly use it only once a week, but i dose daily bacter ae from glasgarten for biofilm.

I get the best results by mixing it with ro and adding it with a turkey baster targeting the substrate and moss while turning the filters off, that way most of it will reach the juveniles et wont clogg the sponge filters.

I wish we could get Bacter AE here in Aus, but customs prohibits the importation of any foods with bacterial content. :sad:

That is a pity but they are not live bacteria as far as i know. This product really helps in the building of biofilm, you are probably able to get products doing the same thing.

Another great product is the CSF range of foods, much cheaper than other brands and the shrimps go crazy for it !

Hey squiggs..... I got some in! Don't know how you'd go commercially though!

• 2 weeks later...

Already had a look & the permit was denied cause of the bacterial content. This is why I created Boss Booster, an organic version. :thumbsu:

Edited by Squiggle