Shrimp Room Journal

salvanost

due to my bad grammar, i will keep this journal simple

progress would be about 6months to 1 year (due to high cost and need to build the shrimp room too)

Progress January 2015 (5/100%)

damage cost:

- 2 racks, 200cm x 200cm x 60cm with 4 level (800$)

difficulty: beginner

next:

- finding inverter type air conditioner

note: due to Government regulation, the old R22 freon will be changed to r32 freon, still waiting for those air conditioner, estimation 450-700$

still cannot find the best place to place the air conditioner due to location of the shrimp room

- choosing the the air pump

note: will i buy the small air pump? 25$each, capable to handle 4 breeding sponge, higher watt

or buying 125$ air pump + 50$ for modification? capable to handle lot's of breeding sponge, less watt

- choosing the water sources

note: buying ro water from 3rd company? or tap water with ro filter?

tap water with seachem products? would cost around 8$ each month

buying ro water from 3rd company? would cost 10$ each month

invest on ro filter? would cost 15$ each month

- water change design

note: dripping, do i need to use automatic dripping tool?
cost ?

- the LED lighting

note: using bulb led? easy to repair, got warranty up to 2years
or using UP aqua led? proven, more expensive, no warranty

or using DIY LED? i hate DIY, cheaper, could be repaired

cost around 150$ each level

- the shrimp room wall...
note: using glass? or using plywood?

is it free from rat attack? chance becoming ant nest? chance becoming termite nest?

is it air tight to prevent contamination?

- tank design

note: .... fortunately i found one tank maker...

Edited by salvanost
  • Like 1

Sounds like a pretty cool room you're going to have there, can't wait for updates! :thumbsu:

My advice would be, definitely go RO, can't keep & breed high quality shrimp well without one(although there are some who swear you can, I don't)

Up Aqua light are the way to go if you can afford it, DIY has never lasted very long for me. :D

+1 looking forward to your updates.

Looking forward to updates and images! Very exciting times!

• 2 weeks later...

decide to use amazonia as the soil,

the problem is this soil need lot's of water change, so i need to create water circulation and ro system...
that's really hard task for me, never use ro filter, i need to see my friend ro water filter, so i could design the water change

Edited by salvanost

• 3 months later...

it's failure, postponed until next year, but next year i want to marry my GF, so i don't know...

- got problem with amazonia soil, dunno why i need to dose bactery to stop the mysterious death, maybe low ph (4.8) from amazonia soil become huge problem to stabilize the bacterial  colony

so much pinto death :(

- my room air conditioner broken, use shrimp room budget to replace with new one

- i use 800$ to experiment with more racks and custom tanks, but the quality didn't meet my expectation :(

there so much miscommunication, i waste so much money, because both tanks and racks didn't fit each others...

- my friend retired from the shrimp hobby, i take the shrimp, but it cost me a lot of money

it's crazy, i got good shrimps, but i handle 7 worth tank inside 3 tanks only

- 20 may my moms b-day, so i use the last budget to give her b-day present

- economic problem, i cannot create more expense, need to save money first,

i will update with small racks only, but it's still take time to start

Edited by salvanost

so sorry to hear about your shrimp. :-(

big congrats on the future wedding! :-)

• 1 month later...

i will add new shrimp rack, but the new rack obstruct the doorway to balcony :(

change 3 pinto project tank into 1 pinto tank (already got 20-30 pinto shrimplet i think it's enough... unfortunately all shrimplets are blakc color, i still cannot confirm the 3-5 red one,red taitibe or red pinto...

change 2 pinto project tank into 2 prl tank

add 1 more tank for white bee shrimp tank

and 2 tank for taiwan bee

total 6 tanks from previously 3 tanks

11400962_1606390549615784_2193978698722197793_n.jpg

11400962_1606390549615784_21939786987221

Edited by salvanost
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

4 tank out of 6 tank capacity :)

still no shrimp, i still focus on adding more tank right now

11705101_1621385971449575_8150523980717363833_n.jpg

and i found someone creating these awesome rack

definitely want to order custom rack when i got the shrimp room later

11700559_817886394998847_8632583243562153132_o.jpg

11700789_817886404998846_8169747337094980595_o.jpg

11705417_817981754989311_8445718816432032624_o.jpg

for now i will use my biggest rack for other purpose

definitely would use it later when i got better financial

11855723_1621387158116123_6612841070936193039_n.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.
    • ngoomie
      Hello! I have a tank that currently does not contain shrimp, but does contain neon tetras which I am currently treating for Ich, as well as some bladder snails. Shrimp will be a later addition, likely cherry shrimp but I'm still doing research just to be sure. Initially I'd intended to buy some sort of Ich-fighting product that contains malachite green after doing a decent bit of research on it, most of which indicated that it should be shrimp-safe so I'd be good if I ever needed to use it again once shrimp were actually introduced (though I should note I'm aware shrimp can't get Ich, I'm more wondering in case the tetras could get Ich again, or something else that responds to similar medication). I ended up not being able to find any MG-containing products without either having to travel quite far or wait multiple days for delivery (which I was worried could lead the Ich to be fatal), and ended up picking up 'Top Fin Ick Remedy', a product that contains gentian violet which is a triarylmethane dye like malachite green. The bottle has two slightly differently worded warnings about its use with invertebrates ("not recommended for" and "not safe for" respectively), but when I'd been researching malachite green, I'd also heard of products that contain MG but not any other ingredients that would be harmful to inverts still being branded with warnings that they could be harmful, just as a "just-in-case" since the manufacturer didn't test it on any inverts, and I'm wondering if maybe it could be a similar situation here. I'm having a very very hard time finding information about gentian violet's use in fishkeeping at all though, it seems currently extremely uncommon. What I will say though is that I'm on day 2 of treating my tetras with it, and the bladder snails seem just fine -- in fact today I noticed what looked to be a bladder snail that appeared to be newly hatched (because of its size) that I hadn't seen before that was zipping around the tank without issue. But obviously, shrimp are not snails, and bladder snails are also notoriously hardy little guys, so what I'm seeing right now could easily be totally inapplicable to cherry shrimp. It might even be inapplicable to other species of snails, for all I know. Has anyone else here ever used anything that contains gentian violet in a tank that actually does contain shrimp? Were they okay, or should I make sure to not use it once shrimp are added?