Japanese Red Bee Shrimp Photographs

Shrimpy Daddy

Actually, yours are Japanese Red Bee. Hence, you should not sell them as PRL, which is what Taiwanese red bee shrimps are called. This will help people to identify them better. Just my 2 cents.

Japanese big brand knew globally are all marketing. If you buy shrimp in Japan, it is not the name that matters. It is more of the shrimp quality itself. All prices are tagged honestly when with the country. The current popular brand/ breeder are K Brand, Mugen Ebi and Ebi Hiroshi. I would love to give them a try the next time I go to Osaka; will be in Hokkaido from Feb to Mar but no time to go Osaka. I ordered some Red Bee from Misato Ebi and will be delivered next week. It used to be a big brand, I will try to see the quality.

Here is the result for the 2014 Asia Pacific Shrimp Contest: http://shrimp-contest.com/prize2014.html

If you need translation on some of the name, please feel free to let me know. However, my Japanese is very rusty though.  : VOMIT :

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

Thank you very much for your answer.

I am very gratefull to have found a person with knowledge round PRL/JRB without commercial interest from asia to have an exchange with after 3 years;-)

To be honest, I didn t perfectly understand the PRL and Japanese Red Bee difference, more, how to distinguish examples of each types?

If I remember correctly, you mentioned somewhere that the leg coloration of a "PRL" and a "JRB" can be identified. What/How is the difference?

Further regarding the PRL / JRB "naming". The mainstream understanding in europe for PRL is: Red Bees, that will have only RedBees offsprings,

No Snowwhites. And, that no snow whites have been inbreed to increase the white coloration in terms of "patterns" like Mosura, Flowerheads or Smile Heads.

Unfortunatly the second criteria "Quality" variies very much. What for person A is a midgrade (quality/density of coloration), for another person is High or another just Low quality.

So if I would name it Japanes Red Bees, people here due a lack of information wouldn t understand.

I never heared of the Brand names, thank you! In nower Times, most know only Benibachi, Crimson and Taiwan Brand (who are pushed) like e.g. Ellen Wang "E-Line".

I hope you ll get nice Misato Ebi Shrimps and we ll se some nice pictures;-)

Thanks for the Link.

Groups A and B is just different Grades (SS/max Hinomaru and SSS/Mosura and up), right?

Are these al Japanese Red Bees?

B-06 looks like the white has a pink tint.

The Blackbees look like having a lot of blue tints in the white, isn t it a sign that there have been used Taiwan bees (ShadowBees)?

Best

Mario

I was surprised to find you too. However for my surprise is that someone from EU understand what is a JRB and willing to breed it purely. Most people in EU and US are brainwashed with the Taiwanese PRL concept. Hence, it is very hard for me to re-educate them at times.

Most Japanese are weak with English. Hence, their stuffs and knowledge are not easily spread out to the rest of the world. Lucky for me, I am half Jap and I don't born there. Which is why, I am able to communicate in and out of Japan.

If by looking at photo, it is very hard to differentiate the JRB and PRL sometime. This is because of the main factor is the colouration. JRB's red is a glowing red and it is not as deep as Wine Red Taiwan Bee. If the red is too light, then it is a CRS with PRL pattern. This is very likely originated from JRB and has been kept breeding with CRS. If the red is too deep, then it has been crossed breed with Wine Red. As for the white area, it is usually ivory and not pure white. If the white is too white then usually crossed with Taiwan Bee's Snow White (not those albino snow white). If you ever compare your original JRB shrimp with Taiwanese PRL side by side, you will fully understand what I mean.

The other difference is that PRL tends to have too much white area. This includes shrinking of the red area of the white, overly large dots that formed crown or flower head and the legs have white area other then the top area. 

The Japanese does cross with other type of shrimp to improve the colouration. However, they will cross back to the original JRB and meticulously stabilise the gene. Therefore, if you have a SS grade (colouration, not pattern) JRB, the lowest grade offspring you will get is still S grade (colour is not as uniform and the shell is not as smooth but still looks pretty good).

Interesting to know the current PRL definition in EU. CRS has pretty stable offspring too. In this case, people are able to sell their CRS as PRL then?

The grading problem is similar every where in the world, except Japan. In Asia or US, everyone has their own definition just to jack up their price. This is pretty sad. :(

Those "big" names you mentioned are really those I wary. They are business people and still need to make money to survive, thus I shall not say too much about them in the public. ;) If you need to know more, I could tell you in PM.

There is a reason why most people will push those "big" brand. Not sure how much you paid for your JRB last time. For a SS grade JRB in Japan, it is sold as 18,000 to 50,000 Yen. It is about US$150 to US$450 each. These shrimps are expensive and the output quantity is not as high as those for mass market. Hence, most people will just import "PRL" that cost US$5 to US$20 each, add in the courier fee and mark-up and sell them as US$50 to US$200. 

Here is the group definition:

Group A - Band to Mosura Pattern

Group B - Mosura to Exotic Pattern

Regarding the blue colour on JBB, I'm not sure the mutation come from which type of shrimp first. Wild tiger has blue colouration and it is the origin of all bee shrimp. Red Bee shrimp originate from Black Bee shrimp from colour mutation. Up till now, I still not sure how the blue colour come by. I think the original BKK was from Black Bee Shrimp mutation or crossed with blue tiger. The original BKK dies very easily and I think it is the result of overly in-breeding and more likely was breed from mutation, instead of cross-breeding. I remember the very first BKK I bought looks so different from those you get nowadays; they look like a little boxer with big round head, bigger pincer and a straight small body (sign of overly in-breed). Blue bolt on the other hand are very resilient and when it was first release, their size is pretty huge. This means it should be more likely breed out using blue tiger. 

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

She looks like one of my band pattern berried JRB. Maybe they are sisters or cousins. LOL!!!

She is from K Brand right? So I guess K Brand's and Hakata's grading are pretty similar.

She looks like one of my band pattern berried JRB. Maybe they are sisters or cousins. LOL!!!

She is from K Brand right? So I guess K Brand's and Hakata's grading are pretty similar.

Hahha!! Maybe they are. I really love her band. It's very classic look.

Yep, she is K-Brand.

As for the white area, it is usually ivory and not pure white.

Indeed, the white is more like ivory, but I have some "little more white" too meanwhile. The contrast of light red and slightly ivory white amazes me everytime I see it, even after so many time. What I havent seen so often: The shell itself looks thicker on my offsprings than others.

I remember some Taiwan shrimps I saw at a friends place. The Taiwan/Shadow Shrimp White is totaly different, thinner, but 100% bright white (if its not that mixed up blue tinted white).

Interesting to know the current PRL definition in EU. CRS has pretty stable offspring too. In this case, people are able to sell their CRS as PRL then?

Exactly. Some do so. From a "PRL/JRB" breeders enthausiast point of view a shame.

I coudln t read the Group B winner. Is it a known breeder / Line or more  a private person?

Best

Mario

"The shell itself looks thicker on my offsprings than others." <--- This is normal. Those that are born in your tank, they will have the perfect shell grew for your water. This is also shows that you had done a great job in taking care of them. ;) The thick shell, which looks like amour plates, usually occur with female. The male is slightly thinner but not as thin as those you saw in Taiwan. By any chance you had breed out a male that has those very thick shell? If yes, I would love to see his picture. :D

"From a "PRL/JRB" breeders enthausiast point of view a shame." <--- Yes, this is why I suggested you don't sell them as PRL in the first place. It will devalue your shrimp. :(

The winner of Group B is Ebi Squid. It is a breeder in Niigata: http://ebisqiud.blog.fc2.com/

One thing you need to know about this sort of shrimp/ aquatic competition. They are hosted and participate from a business group/ partners circle. This Asia Pacific Shrimp Competition was hosted by Aqua Tailor and LowKeys. Hence, most of the participants are the suppliers for Aqua Tailor and LowKeys. Which means, not all good breeders will participates.

• 3 months later...

A low quality photo of my Mosura JRB to share:

DSCF8132-FIXED.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. Too tired from work, and I was too lazy to setup the flash and tripod. (^_^")y

• Like 4

Thanks. But the resolution is very low because of it was shot in low light. (^_^")y

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to revive this thread. Lots of good info in here.

@NoGi

Edited by Disciple