PRL quality characteristics

Shrimpmaster

Oh well, unnatural or not, has given me something to aim for! :thumbsu:

LOL!!! The only way to achieve that is to selectively cross-breed CRS with Snow White (not golden bee)/Mosura Panda and Wine Red. If this is the sort of CRS you are looking for, you could give this cross breeding method a try and you will be able to achieve it in 6 months. ;)

Also if you look at the colour of the net, it is showing as cyan/turquoise colour. This shows that the photo has been meddle with the white balance to make the white looks whiter. Hence, the actual shrimp will look much more yellowish. Below is a version of I adjusted the white balance. Due to the picture was overly exposed, the shell looks perfect. This is one of the common deception of the photos circulating on the net. Because of the camera or phone camera unable to capture the details, the shrimp shell will look smooth and constant colour. End up many people believe a normal CRS as a PRL. It is kind of hilarious at times.

post-1126-0-73361900-1418800257_thumb.jp

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

LOL!!! The only way to achieve that is to selectively cross-breed CRS with Snow White (not golden bee)/Mosura Panda and Wine Red. If this is the sort of CRS you are looking for, you could give this cross breeding method a try and you will be able to achieve it in 6 months. ;)

Also if you look at the colour of the net, it is showing as cyan/turquoise colour. This shows that the photo has been meddle with the white balance to make the white looks whiter. Hence, the actual shrimp will look much more yellowish. Below is a version of I adjusted the white balance. Due to the picture was overly exposed, the shell looks perfect. This is one of the common deception of the photos circulating on the net. Because of the camera or phone camera unable to capture the details, the shrimp shell will look smooth and constant colour. End up many people believe a normal CRS as a PRL. It is kind of hilarious at times.

attachicon.gifimage_zpsb6644527.jpg

Whoa! Way too confusing dude, you lost me at LOL! :lol: I'll try & get as close as I can breeding pure CRS &, even if I miss by a fair amount, I'll still achieve some pretty awesome looking shrimp, I always set my goals way high for that reason. :D

Good example picture of full white antenna. Even the thin antenna part has some white in it. For me this pictures was jaw dropping too when I saw it for the first time. Something to aim for, was my response too :wink:. There might be some editing done, but it's seems not be over exposed because you can still see the lines between different segments.

Taking pictures of shrimp is still challenging for me too. You can always argue about them. A shrimp looks different below a big flashlight than a little aquarium tank light. Different color temperatures etc. So I always tell people not to go after a pictures but see them in real life. Sometimes I send people a low light/quality picture to give them a better impression.

Also I truly believe that the shrimp adept to their light source. A lot of bright light seems to have a positive influence on the shrimp color and thickness.

Even top class photographers images can be a source of discussion. The pictures of Ellen Wang shrimp taken by Chris Lukhaup. Just amazing, the red looks so bright and nice. But I can tell you, I've seen them a couple of times in real life on shrimp shows and the red is 'just like' the red of other shrimp, nothing different if you ask me.

But not only the colors, also the details of course on a macro pictures are different. So try to separate them. (Macro) photo's are amazing to look at and show us the beauty of shrimp at a particular moment in time and with a particular light source. In real life you enjoy their appearances, behavior and development over time. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say :D.

BTW, about MK-breed, I also found this picture. A very bright (this images is indeed over exposed) snow white. Maybe this genes has to do something with it. Not golden, but true snow white. Maybe from a Crystal Black string by selecting.

1119988_508841929191668_413764673_o.jpg

Edited by Shrimpmaster
  • Like 1

Now that is absolutely gorgeous! The white is full as it should be and the red on those legs, beautiful!

I'd hate to imagine how many generations were involved to get to that stage.

OOT: If anyone every bought any good quality shrimp from those big name Taiwanese Breeder, please post some pictures. I never see before, even when I am in Taiwan, except their "show" tank. :D

Doubt you'll find anyone with good quality shrimp from any Taiwanese farms.

1. They lack proper equipments to take such pictures if they did have a good shrimp.

2. They don't have said good shrimp.

Always nice to dream big though [emoji3]

What a great write up! And these images are amazing!

I am loving the comparison of colours.

I can now see why these are such a goal shrimp for many to aspire to!

Edited by newbreed

Doubt you'll find anyone with good quality shrimp from any Taiwanese farms.

1. They lack proper equipments to take such pictures if they did have a good shrimp.

2. They don't have said good shrimp.

Always nice to dream big though [emoji3]

Dude.... What are you talking about...

When they are in Japan and Hong Kong, they always join the Chinese with the "Big Canon Camera hang-on the Neck" Tourist Gang. Hence, I doubt they don't have camera. 

• Like 1

Dude.... What are you talking about...

When they are in Japan and Hong Kong, they always join the Chinese with the "Big Canon Camera hang-on the Neck" Tourist Gang. Hence, I doubt they don't have camera. 

Funny thing... This is exactly what I saw... So many older men with HUGE cameras and lens around their neck.. God I bet that lower back pain is unbearable, poor tourists.

• Like 1

Great right up! and very good points about lighting and just how honest peoples picture's are.

Nice topic this is, even with all the side discussions, I like it. Informative for me too.
Sorry I can't keep up the posts every week, very busy period at the moment :wink:

This time I was going to show something that ShrimpDaddy point me to. It's about colored swimminglegs or pleopods as they are called. A good characteristic in my opinion is that as much as possible parts are colored. As showed before, this is much more intense that on 'normal' crystal red. Like the legs and the antenna's.

gallery_1170_14_32716.jpg

But even some of them has colored pleopods.

I've been camping in front of my tanks, but so fare I only have one picture from Shrimp Daddy to prove this colored pleopods:

gallery_1170_14_80055.jpg

gallery_1170_14_231248.jpg

Very nice example!

So you have to be patient for more pictures about this, and if I will not succeed, next post (in the new year!!) will be about abdomen, abdominal somietes.The panser of the body and the thickness and form of it.

Edited by Shrimpmaster
  • Like 3

This time I would like to show you something about the second abdomen or "breastplate" or "Tigerschaufel". This is a really awesome phenomenon that you only find on high quality PRL. To be honest, I don't have them myself. So I asked Mario Portera (Calls his shrimp JustBee, I got my shrimp from him) from Germany if I can show his pictures of some stunning pieces he have.

med_gallery_1170_14_317754.jpg

So far I know, you can only see this on female shrimp. When the shape is round and big and fully covered it has a great effect on the appearance of the shrimp. I believe a lot of the shrimp have the shape, but because they are not fully colored, it looks like it's small.

Examples:

gallery_1170_14_191090.jpg

gallery_1170_14_266818.jpg

gallery_1170_14_140479.jpg

gallery_1170_14_105626.png

gallery_1170_14_173202.jpg

If you can read German, you can check this analysis from Lisa Klotz:  http://www.crustahunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/FBA-Lisa-Klotz-Tigerschaufel.pdf or you can just look at the pictures ;).

And don't forget to check out Mario's website for more awesome shrimp: http://akaebinosato.de/gallery/

I'm not sure what to discuss next time. Most parts are covered so far. If you have a suggestion, please let me know.

• Like 4

Yes, that's a signature of good breed. Usually those with the "breast-plate" are close to competition grade. ;)

If you ever see it in person, the body shape is like a butterfly with folded wing. :D

• Like 1

The "breastplate" or "Tigerschaufel" is not only applicable for PRL/JRB, right? I have a few Ruby Red Taiwan Bees with just BEAUTIFUL Tigershaufel and i've also seen other Taiwan bees with this exact characteristic. I've often considered it's something that develops as adult females age and their clutch develops and expands bigger to enable larger brood, but in hindsight, I don't see this trait in 100% of my Taiwan Bees,

True. Also some of my Neocardina have a very beautiful thick and large Breastplate.

But among 'normal' Crystal Red, I've never seen something that's even close to the pieces in the photos in my last post. So your right it's not a special PRL thing, but according to PRL, I believe this is something that you only see on high quality pieces.

More interesting is, how to achieve this. Some people say by selecting, others say by coincidence. I will let you know when I've got the answer. Or if somebody know this, tell us please :wink:.

Edited by Shrimpmaster

The "breastplate" or "Tigerschaufel" is not only applicable for PRL/JRB, right? I have a few Ruby Red Taiwan Bees with just BEAUTIFUL Tigershaufel and i've also seen other Taiwan bees with this exact characteristic. I've often considered it's something that develops as adult females age and their clutch develops and expands bigger to enable larger brood, but in hindsight, I don't see this trait in 100% of my Taiwan Bees,

It is applicable for all shrimp. However for PRL/ JRB, they are selectively breed till it is very big. Due to the lighting, it is very hard to capture on camera; at least for me. If you see it in-person, you will be amazed by the shape, size and proportion of the second segment. Hmmm.... Not sure how to describe it. It is more like the length of the second segment is almost equal to the total length of the rest of the segment. This make them looks like perfect curve when they are in alert posture. If she ever comes out, I will try take a picture of her side.

You will understand once your young JRB/JBB is berried.

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have an update about the colored pleopods. I came across this picture of JF Lee. It's a mobile phone picture I guess, so colors are not realistic. Hence you can see that it's good quality, but what especially got my attention are the colored pleopods. This is a good example, got red and white into it. Very nice.

prlwitrood.jpg.7b9d803d0d82ab82df0d48c4b

Breeder/owner reference: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008049062903

Edited by Shrimpmaster
typo
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

what about the actual red sections of the body on a PRL, How Solid should they be?

I mean if you had a A-S grade pattern on a PRL what would it be like depth wise?