Sochting Oxydators

Dean

Is anyone using these in there FISH tanks ? id like to try acouple in my fh tanks and my goldfish ponds.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dean

• durro68

• Sprae

• NoGi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they are actually made for fish tanks and ponds mate, it is just that we use them for shrimp :)

the main use of these is for ponds. they come in a large size also for up to 4000ltr ponds...

they are perfectly safe with fish

they are actually made for fish tanks and ponds mate' date=' it is just that we use them for shrimp :)

the main use of these is for ponds. they come in a large size also for up to 4000ltr ponds...

they are perfectly safe with fish[/quote']

Then they will be perfect for hillstream loaches (borneo suckers)! Most people worry about oxygen levels in hillstream tanks so ill have to reccomend the loachers these ;)

looking at peroxide 6% solution from the chemist or even 9 or 12% from hairdresser is this ok to use or is it better to get the 35% food grade and dilute yourself? is it economics why better to dilute yourself?

looking at peroxide 6% solution from the chemist or even 9 or 12% from hairdresser is this ok to use or is it better to get the 35% food grade and dilute yourself? is it economics why better to dilute yourself?

35% food grade is much safer and better. Dean's recommendation FTW

Stff from hairdressers can have Amonium hydroxide as well which you do not want in your tank.

Stff from hairdressers can have Amonium hydroxide as well which you do not want in your tank.

New way to dye your shrimps into new colours? ;)

The designer of the oxydators has said specifically that the only solution that can be used is 35% food grade H202.

All other types/% have stabilizers and binding agents in them and are not safe for aquarium.

If you follow manufacturers instructions you never have anything to worry about.

There is a link on my website for buying it cheap so there is absolutely no reason to not use the correct product ;)

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to putting mine in. How often do you need to change the catalyst? Maybe I should have ordered some too. Lol

[ATTACH]736[/ATTACH]

post-34-139909846344_thumb.jpg

Just scanned in few advert material from Sochting. Hope it will helpful.

They are big images so have patience and text will get clear as it loads.

Page 1

SochtingOxydatorsImg1.jpg

Page 2

SochtingOxydatorsImg2.jpg

Page 3

SochtingOxydatorsImg3.jpg

Page 4

SochtingOxydatorsImg4.jpg

Cheers, Jag

Thanks for sharing Jag! Just interesting to see the mini oxydator advertised as using 6% h2o2 solution, where as they provided 4.9% solution.

so these are basically air diffusers ?

Nope' date=' they don't [u']diffuse air. They convert H2O2 AKA Hydrogen Peroxide by splitting the active oxygen and water to be disseminated into the tank.

Page 3

SochtingOxydatorsImg3.jpg

OK, so mine looked like this on day 1 but now no longer has little bubbles coming out. What could I have done wrong? The solution mix was filled to the top.

OK' date=' so mine looked like this on day 1 but now no longer has little bubbles coming out. What could I have done wrong? The solution mix was filled to the top.[/quote']

Problem with the bigger ones is you can't see if there's any solution left. How long did it bubble out and last time you re-filled it? BTW, my oxygen bubbles are microscopic which flow out very slowly.

The day I posted the pic of the one in my tank was the day it went in. So it bubbled lots of little bubbles for around a day. Actually, now it looks like it burps a large bubble every minute or so. Knowing me, I've probably done something wrong. :beaten:

Nothing is wrong ;) the brochures are photo shopped to give people the idea!

The large A size will run for 9-15 days dependant on many factors before needing to be refilled.

The large bubbles when first added to any tank are the ceramic base absorbing water and what you see is that.

After a day or two the bubbles are super fine, very hard to see! Remember it's dissolved oxygen not like an airstones bubbles ;)

If your unsure if it needs filling again shrin a torch at the top of it when the lights are off and

You should see very very fine bubbles. If you don't then check if it needs refill.

The first 1-2 times it's filled will finish faster than normal and

This is due to the dust from the catalyst being banged around during transport.

Any other questions??? I can answer your anyone ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Due you guys think we could achieve the same principal if we dissolved pressurized medical O2 in a cO2 dupla reactor, I mean if it dissolves CO2 it should be able to dissolve O2 no?....even better we might be able to control the amount of o2 dissolved with a PH controller?

Due you guys think we could achieve the same principal if we dissolved pressurized medical O2 in a cO2 dupla reactor' date=' I mean if it dissolves CO2 it should be able to dissolve O2 no?....even better we might be able to control the amount of o2 dissolved with a PH controller?[/quote']

Eshrimp, yes you can add gaseous O2 to aquariums. It is commonly used for transporting fish and in high density fish cultures in aquaculture. However it is generally just pumped in via a special airstone, it raises DO (dissolved oxygen) but alot of oxygen is wasted anyway. It is expensive to hire/purchase a oxygen bottle, and I'm betting the costs are far greater compared to using an oxydator.

The problem with using equipment built to dissolve CO2 is that CO2 acts very differently to oxygen. Oxygen just dissolves without reacting, whilst when CO2 dissolves it reacts with water to form carbonic acid. pH is a measure of how much acid there is, so adding CO2 equals more acid (carbonic acid), thus lowering pH. This mechanism allows the use of pH controllers to turn CO2 gas input on/off as pH changes. The point is the pH controller won't work for O2 as O2 doesnt change pH.

Is there a oxygen monitor that can work in a similar manner? I'm sure there are, particularly for use with ozone BUT unless you are running tens of thousands to millions of dollars worth of aquaculture facility, it is too expensive.

Also in case someone asks, you cant use ozone in aquariums because it oxydises everything, meaning death for your shrimps.

Thanks for the response fishmosy... Yes there are REDOx controllers out ther they even come with dual ph and redox control, the redox is controlled with exactly what you suggest which is ozone pumps. Those kits are used with marine tanks, the dual controllers are found on eBay for under 100.00 w/ph and Redox probes and the ozone pumps cost around the same I think.

I'd have to check but I think the redox probes don't measure O2 directly, rather measure how much oxidation potential there is .i.e. how much oxygen is available from Oxygen containing molecules (eg O3, H2O2, and 02) to react with other molecules.

I think hydrogen peroxide works as it does for shrimp because it acts as an oxidiser (i.e a source of oxygen that can react with other molecules/chemicals to break them down) with an additional benefit of adding more O2 to the water as this chemical reaction occurs. It is far more difficult to break apart an O2 molecule than it is to break oxygen off H2o2 or O3.

So adding more O2 to the water wont give you the same result as using H2O2. The equivalent to h2o2 is therefore ozone, and yes this is available for aquaria, but as I've said before you can't use it directly in aquariums because it will kill your shrimp. Yes, you could set up a loop where you produce O3, let it oxidise the water, run the water over activated carbon to make sure there isnt any residual O3, and the return the water to the aquarium BUT the more complexity you add to a system, the more likely it is to fail. Having O3 issues is really bad because it is very nasty stuff that can kill quickly, not only your shrimp, but yourself as well.

I get that people like to add fancy, complex systems to their tanks. I do too. I use pH and temp controllers at work all the time. But since in this case, it is much more reliable, much simpler, significantly safer and more cost effective to use H2o2 than O3, I have to ask why consider O3?

COMPLEATLY agree on the new toys and simplicity argument....It think my single scientific neuron was trying to show off to the rest of his buds that are swimming around in the emptiness of my noggin ....lol