Sochting Oxydators

Dean

Söchting oxidizer

Power-free oxygen for your aquarium

A unique, new patent that gives constant, controlled release of pure and activated oxygen that keeps aquaria and garden ponds oxygen rich, clean and clear.

1. Activated oxygen filters to every corner of your aquarium including those "dead pockets" which the current can't reach. It even penetrates the gravel bottom, making it an ideal biological filter.

2. Activated oxygen encourages aerobic micro-organisms which convert fish excreta and rotting food into harmless end products. They put an end to stale, foul odours from the pool bottom.

3. Activated oxygen itself rids water of noxious organic products like carbohydrates and nitrite by converting them into simple, safe substances like water, carbon dioxide and nitrate.

4. Activated oxygen improves redox-potential, killing the unwanted algae and bacteria which cloud water. Your tank or pond stays clean, clear and healthier.

5. Activated oxygen is converted to ordinary oxygen by the Oxydator's specially developed ceramic surface. The reliable, self-adjusting system maintains exactly the right balance of activated and pure oxygen which your pond or tank requires.

6. No need for a CO2 diffuser in most cases - the unique process of the Oxydator does not expel CO2 from your tank but actually helps it to form from organic matter.

7. No need for tubes or cables - the Oxydator is the first safe, self-contained unit to offer a constant year-round oxygen supply for outdoor ponds. It continues to work even under thick winter ice.

How does the Oxydator work?

It makes clever use of Hydrogen peroxide's (H2O2) chemistry. This molecule consists of an oxygen atom loosely attached to a water molecule, like a ball in a gutter. One "shake", (or impulse of energy), will set it rolling and this gives it special energetic properties. The "shake" is caused by a catalyst in the peroxide reservoir. Two peroxide molecules are needed to produce the water and pure oxygen.

The chemical equation is:

2 H2O2 è ( catalyst ) è 2 H2O2 + O2

The Oxydator causes this reaction in two separate stages:

Stage 1 - A small catalyst rod breaks down some of the peroxide inside a plexiglass container (see diagram), producing the exact amount of oxygen needed. A diving bell acts as a valve, while an air cushion at the bottom of the container prevents water from penetrating the unit.

Stage 2 - The specially developed ceramic of the Oxydator releases the pure oxygen your fish need. Only our unique ceramic can do this - ordinary ceramic has no effect at all. This two-stage process constantly regulates the activated oxygen, releasing the right amount for your tank and ensuring the concentration is never too high for your fish.

What makes the Oxydator unique?

The benefits of adding hydrogen peroxide to water have long been known. It keeps fish in good condition, prevents acute oxygen starvation, stops fungus from growing and halts the build-up of decaying matter which makes the water murky. But regulating the peroxide concentration has always been a problem until now! The Oxydator is a unique new design with a constant, controlled release, giving the exact amount needed at any time. It radically improves the water quality, giving all the benefits mentioned above. The key is a specially developed ceramic which breaks peroxide down completely into water and oxygen. But the Oxydator does not only provide a supply of fresh oxygen. Unlike ordinary aerators, it will not expel CO2, an important plant nutrient, from the tank. It also releases activated oxygen which detoxifies poisons, rendering them completely harmless. With an Oxydator you can keep many more fish in your tank and you do not have to change the water so often. The oxygen supply adjusts to the temperature of a populated pond or tank. An 8 °C increase doubles the amount produced. Approximately 20,000 liter of water will be 100% oxygen-saturated (156 g of oxygen) by 1 liter of 30% peroxide solution at 25 °C. The table below shows the quantities and consumption rates at 25 °C. A simple adjustment gives the figures at other temperatures. An average number of fish and plants is assumed for each volume. As a highly populated tank needs more oxygen, the next highest combination may be more appropriate. The Oxydator also provides economical, purifying activated oxygen for plant-free, highly populated aquaria where aerators satisfy the large oxygen demands.

2 H2O2 ----------------------------> 2 H2O + O2

Technical Details of Söchting Oxydator Mini:

The Söchting Oxydator Mini is about the size of your thumb. It's designed for aquaria up to about 36ltrs - you can use additional Oxydators Minis for larger capacity. 2 little pieces of catalyst (in total less than half the size of 1 regular catalyst) and 2 x 75 ml containers of 4.9% Oxydator solution are included. An instruction sheet is included.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

· Container Diameter: 1"

· Base Diameter: 1.5"

· Overall Height: 3.25"

· Filling: 1 ounce of 4.9% Oxydator solution and 2 little pieces of catalyst

· You may also use 6% Oxydator solution

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

post-12-139909856517_thumb.jpg post-12-13990985652_thumb.jpg

Technical Details of Söchting Oxydator D:

The Söchting Oxydator D is about the size of a baseball. It's designed for aquaria up to about 27 gallons - you can use additional Oxydators A or D for larger capacity. 1 catalyst is included. An instruction sheet is included. Oxydator solution is not included.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

· Container Diameter: 2.25"

· Base Diameter: 3.5"

· Overall Height: 3.5"

· Filling: 4.25 ounces (a little over 1/2 cup) of 6% Oxydator solution and 1 catalyst

[/TABLE]

post-12-139909856523_thumb.jpg post-12-139909845599_thumb.jpg

Specifications:

[TABLE=width: 80%]

Minioxydator

Oxidizer D

Diameter

4 cm

8.5 cm

Height

6 cm

8.5 cm

Size of Aquarium

to 30 liters

to 100 liters

Filling (hydrogen peroxide is not included in D size)

20 ml, 4.9%

solution OXYDATOR

125ml, 6%

solution OXYDATOR

Operating time

at 25 ° C approximately 4 weeks

at 25 ° C for about 2 - 4 weeks

[TD]

[/TABLE]

Sochting Oxydators, mix your own H202 solution.

1 part 35% "food" grade H202 to 6 parts distilled/RO water will mix the recommended 6% solution.

for example

60ml of 35% "food" grade H202 plus 360ml of distilled/RO water = 420ml of 6% H202 solution.

post-29-139909856499_thumb.jpg

post-29-1399098565_thumb.jpg

post-29-139909856501_thumb.jpg

post-29-139909856503_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dean

• durro68

• Sprae

• NoGi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to know if these work set up in a sump .... Will that oxygenate all tanks?

good question i was thinking the same thing as im just setting up my new rack that is sumped.

yes it will work in principle, but i would say that you will not be getting the full amount of oxygen by the time it reaches the tanks.

i would say it will be loosing a little, how much ? i have no idea. you could get a dissolved Oxygen test kit and let us all know :)

why dont you want them in the actual tanks??

Well for me it is just the quantity of the things!

i will send an email to the scientist who invented them in Germany tonight and ask about that for you, will get an answer in 3-4days.

they are not ugly though :) so i dont think they look out of place in the tank and my shrimp love climbing all over them and sitting in the bubble stream :)

I like them as well .... I like the 4 "D" size I got .... But to buy 9 mini's at about $35 each for my rack of 9 tanks when I can get one "A" to put in the sump lets me buy a bit of other stuff ....

These seem to be burning the solution much quicker than they should be .... there is no way they will last anywhere near 2 weeks ..... has everyone had the same experience? Could it be as Sprae said "because it is a new catalyst"? I set 3 of mine up on Friday and they have gone through about 3/4 of the solution I put in them!!!!! I set the 4th up yesterday .... and it seems to be going the same way.

The shrimp are much more active!

ok a few questions to better answer this for you

Q.1 what temp are your tanks running at?

Q.2 what solution % did you mix exactly?

Q.3 did you rinse the solution holder before use?

so the most common reason for the solution being used so fast is the following.

The water temp in tanks is above 24-25 degrees!

The solution holder had dust partials from catalyst & ceramic base inside which cases a fast reaction with H202.

The solution you mixed was mixed at wrong %.

For the "oxydator D" you should mix 6% if you want it to last 2+wks.

(all info on mixing can be found here http://www.bossaquaria.com.au/h202-mixing/ )

This means to get a 6% solution from 35% food grade H202 solution, you need to mix 6:1 RO:H202 which

means 21.42ml of H202 : 128.52ml of RO water.

as the total volume of the D size holder is 150ml.

hope that helps :)

my impression from reading the manual is that the two bottles of solution in the product will last for 2-4 weeks, not each fill? i've finished one bottle (2 refills) and it has taken approx 11 days. does that help?

My system with 2 of the units in is running at between 21 and 22. The other 2 are in tanks set at 23.

hmmmmm .... I might have set the first 3 up with 1 in 6 not 1 to 6 ......

maybe ....... not ......

I'll report back on the 2nd batch ....

my impression from reading the manual is that the two bottles of solution in the product will last for 2-4 weeks' date=' not each fill? i've finished one bottle (2 refills) and it has taken approx 11 days. does that help?[/quote']

Wow, how many catalysts are being used? I'm using 1 catalyst for my mini oxydator, 1st fill and it's been over 12 days and there's about a 1/3 left to go. I think it will last for 12-14 days for me.

Temp 21-22 for a 23L planted tank.

hey durro. tanks are the same as yours 22-23 degrees. my solution is 4.95 percent i think from the mini oxydators. definately did a quick rinse before i put them in.

Yeah the one I setup at home on Sunday got a rinse and is going as expected!

I'll make sure I rinse the others (and the new ones) when I refill them ... Live and learn

1. 22Ëšc

2. mini Ox premix

3. no - have i killed my shrimp ;)

3. no - have i killed my shrimp ;)

Well luckily no ... I think running a system with a decent volume lets your shrimp escape many stupid errors of judgement .....

Well luckily no ... I think running a system with a decent volume lets your shrimp escape many stupid errors of judgement .....

Heh... wish I knew that coming back into the hobby. Stuck with a nano for now.

Haha 36litres isn't that big ;)

Interesting article Dean. Just wondering but how easy is it for the h2o2 to possibly escape into the tank?

Presume the possibility of h202 escaping is due to incorrect mix/higher pressure etc... But probably highly unlikely yeah ?

Dean, if there's a tad of catalyst left, does it need to be changed once the h202 has run out ? Presume the larger the catalyst the quicker reaction=more O2. Or just adding what was used be substituted ?

Thanks

Not likely to escape with the units I sell, just need to make sure there put together correctly and everything is safe.

If you mix h202 as per instructions on my website it can't go wrong ;)

The catalyst in the mini is very small to begin with and should last a long time without change, the only reason it will dissolve fast is if you don't follow mixing instructions for correct % of h202.

People are always skeptical of things they don't understand and again if instructions are followed you will have absolutely no problems! I have been using h202 in my tanks for 2 years now and necmver had a problem with my shrimp ;)

OK here is another one for you Dean ......

If I had one (or 3) spare 'D' units lying around and a few spare 'mini catalysts' could they be set up as 'large volume mini's'???

Can you think of any problems doing this????

Cheers

Greg

lol, yes that is possible mate. you could also break up the large catalyst into smaller size to use also.

the main thing to remember is the % of H202 and size of catalyst will determine how long it last with a few other factors like temp etc also.

but in short yes. mix in 4.9% use small catalyst in D size oxydator will in theory be a large mini :)