Twellsy's 30cm Cube

Twellsy

Hi All ,

Some of this has been posted on another forum , so some of you may have seen it before

Was lucky enough to win this cube , air pump and thermometer at a fish meet , so it was dedcided it needed to be setup

Some of the equipment has been recycled from my old tank , some won and the rest bought new

Tank - 30cm cube

Substrate - Up Aqua shrimp sand 2kgs

Equipment - Aquaone HOB filter ( aqua clear 100 ) sponge inlet cover

- Aquaone heater 50watt

- Resun air pump

- External breeder box ( 2.6L )

- Desk lamp with 20W 6500K bulb

- Feeding tube and feeding dish

- Breeding cave

Moss - Java moss , Peacock moss , Subwassertang

Driftwood - Malyasian Mangrove

So this tank was to sit on my TV cabinet ( TV cabinet does not sit level ) noticeable when tank is filled with water

I decided to build a tank base with adjustable feet so everything would sit nice and level

some equipment won and bought

image_zps11fd7504.jpg

310b4c0e-a016-445b-9703-2c546fec10e5_zpseefec55f.jpg

image_zpsba1891b4.jpg

MDF cut and painted ( base , tank base and background )

image_zpsd427eeeb.jpg

Light and light stand attached to base ( everthing level )

image_zps2e38e1c6.jpg

Tank and foam added ( edge of foam painted silver to match base )

image_zps71d5e3d9.jpg

Driftwood , Sand , Breeder box and 2 Thermometers added

image_zps1884b669.jpg

Everthing setup ready for water

image_zps9864a4fd.jpg

All Running

image_zps78cf3f63.jpg

The tank has been runnig for about a month now , Home to 5 RCS ( babies in the last couple of days ) 10 CRS and the breeder boxes houses 4 YCS ( I will add some photos of the shrimp when I can get some good shots )

PH - 6.4

Temp - 25 and 24 in breeder box

Cheers Twellsy

Thanks for the post Twellsey. Great write up, and beautiful setup. Looking forward to updated pics.

Very cool setup dude, congratulations on the win, very cool prize :victorious:

• HOF Member

Looks great it looks bigger than a 30cm love the light.:encouragement:

The system fits together really well, looking forward to seeing further development, really nice. Just realised this was from the fish meet a couple

of weeks back. I put in the thermometer, great to see it being used.

Thanks all for the kind words , love this little setup even my wife loves this tank ( big win as she doesn't share my love of shrimp/fish ) kiwiBigD love the J style thermometer lots of generous people here I have found.

Cheers Twellsy

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I have updated this journal , things have change a lot over time

Bad photos but you get the idea

image_zpsc31f416d.jpgimage_zps22a35709.jpgimage_zps7dad7c4d.jpgimage_zpsdfd9972a.jpg

Looking very cool dude, loving the new minimalist look & the rilis are stunning too! Well done. :victorious:

Looking very cool dude' date=' loving the new minimalist look & the rilis are stunning too! Well done. :victorious:[/quote']

Cheers mate , had to do some major culling a few months back and only ended up with 5 females and 1 male that where good quality ( lucky bugger ) got about 40 babies so far but they seem to be a mix of rilli , blue , yellow/orange. I'll wait for there colors to develop a bit more then seperate them

Nice dude, you really have to be strict with your selection when trying to achieve a specific goal & it looks like you are getting some great results. I know with my programs that I could only use 5-10% at first to continue the direction I want to head. Can't wait to see the next generation in your rili program. :encouragement:

Looks much easier to maintain for selective breeding now :)

what at is the moss on the pyramid? It's going mental!

Looks much easier to maintain for selective breeding now :)

what at is the moss on the pyramid? It's going mental!

So much easier now , I think the moss is java moss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what's going on , 50% of my babies from my red rilli's are orange

I have them for at least 6 months and they have always been kept on their own.

Any thoughts ? Do I put them in with my Sunkist's ( they look like my sunkist )

Best photos I could get

C93E6621-9EF6-493D-B355-73D5002C85BC_zpsofocbdxv.jpg

C56EBA49-319A-4227-983C-3C15AA7F6B56_zps2b2htquy.jpg

4A738CDE-7967-48AE-B596-9D940E39061E_zps7jpexept.jpg

• HOF Member

Are you sure no-one is escaping for a bit of hanky panky and then going back to their tank????? As they have a rili gene keep a few and see if you can get Orange Rilis. I personally wouldn't put them with the Sunkist as you will dilute your sunkist gene with a gene that isn't true. perhaps try a few test matings until you know how they breed and what you get but don't let them loose together or you won't know which are your good sunkist.

Have you moved any mosses between tanks recently. They may have come in on those??

Are you sure no-one is escaping for a bit of hanky panky and then going back to their tank????? As they have a rili gene keep a few and see if you can get Orange Rilis. I personally wouldn't put them with the Sunkist as you will dilute your sunkist gene with a gene that isn't true. perhaps try a few test matings until you know how they breed and what you get but don't let them loose together or you won't know which are your good sunkist.
No chance of tank hopping as the tanks are on opposite sides of the room Looking at some tanks from Chi during the week
Have you moved any mosses between tanks recently. They may have come in on those??
I haven't added anything to the tank since the shrimp arrived

Definitely try for orange Rilis that would be really really good:encouragement:

I spotted one the other day that looked like an orange rilli but haven't seen it again , not sure if it is one or the color just hasn't come through completely yet

• HOF Member

It will show up again. I keep losing a nice blue shrimp in my chocolate tank. Every time I try to see him I can't but then next day there he is:encouragement: