Crabby

New Tangerine Tigers!

Crabby

Exciting news: I just purchased 15 tangerine tiger shrimp from a local breeder, in exchange for some of my abundance of endler fry. I’m starting the drip acclimation now, along with my other two tts males who I’m moving from my larger tank. I’ll add some photos down below once they’re in the tank. Will acclimate another hour and a half probably, and feed the fish a bit extra before they go in for safety. There’s heaps of good hiding places in this tank, and I can’t wait to see the shrimp utilising them (or hopefully not even see them)!

Will update soon.

Cheers,

Crabby

• Like 1

Crabby

Finally got them all in the tank, all is well, but it's 11 pm so it seems I may have miscalculated the duration of the acclimation. Top tip guys: if you wanna sleep, don't buy your shrimp at 7 pm! 

All the shrimp have settled in fantastically (in the 15 mins they've been in the tank) and I am already so happy to have this. Honestly, when I got into the hobby this is what I was looking for. Not 10 shrimp scattered through a giant 110 Litre aquarium, who I can never see. A small tank with nearly 20 shrimp, so I can see at least 10 at a time, with very small fish who interact with the shrimps, and the shrimp being out and about and happy. It's really fantastic, and I'm remembering again why I got into fish- and shrimp-keeping in the first place. Will assess the shrimp tomorrow, check for any problems, but for now I am stoked with my new shrimp. Here's a couple of photos below, of the shrimp on my hair algae tufts and moss balls. Made me so happy to see them enjoying those.2A506256-9EB5-4B5A-9C45-63B1E7DC0FD6.jpeg.16d7147e679e2b09c776eccdcd62eee8.jpeg

EE0070B9-9ADD-4241-83EF-C3EE00968082.jpeg

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

It is exciting buying new stock and I am happy to hear it is going so well. If all is well in the tank the numbers will increase with time!

I sent someone out earlier to try and find my shrimps, they were delivered yesterday??? They found the parcel (behind a door to the garden?????????) and when I opened it all the shrimps were motionless and on their side, d'oh! I set the dripper up anyway and put them in and now all bar 1 are upright and alive so pleased about that? Very lucky as it was a cold night here. Definitely no more shrimp orders until back to normal?

I hope your new shrimps are still doing well today!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey everyone,
      I was recently (meaning today) given the opportunity to set up a breeding tank for some native inverts (or some harder to breed fish I guess, but I want to go for shrimp) in a fishroom I help out in. I've been trying to decide what native shrimp I want to try breeding, but then I remembered that it's not as simple as exotics. Can I get some input from the 'experts' (@Grubs, @NoGi, @Baccus, @fishmosy, @jayc of course, I know most of you aren't very active anymore, but I would appreciate your help if you see this message) on what native invert you guys think is easiest to breed (for a semi-noob who hasn't kept natives before). I can set it up as brackish I think, we have an archer fish tank there and are setting up a saltwater as well so should have access to those tools and materials.  
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Zoidburg
      By Zoidburg
      Short info...

I'm in USA
      I got these from a pet store
      They were being sold as something they clearly are not
      Larger than cherry shrimp, smaller than amanos (as in, at best, females get to the size of an adult male amano, but not female from what little I can see)
      *NOT* Neocaridina
      *LARVAL STAGE of 1+ weeks*

I've been told these are 4 different species (well, 6 or 7 if we count the ones I know aren't true) so I'm looking for some second opinions on what they might be... what I do know is that after a week or so, the larvae have not transformed into miniature adults. These are some of the more colorful shrimp, some have less colors but they all mainly share the dark "band" midway down their tail, except males which may appear very bland. (I'm not entirely sure it's only one species of shrimp...)

Female

Male

And a 5+ day old larvae/zoe (younger zoe don't show as much color - more clear)

And just to throw a curve ball in there... here's another shrimp that was mixed in with the type above! (clear shrimp, appears more yellow than he really is... this is also a relatively small shrimp, hardly any bigger than an adult cherry shrimp. He's the only one...)

• Herrflick
      By Herrflick
      Hello Everybody, 
      My name is Kenny, and i'm from Belgium.
      Since a year or so i am keeping Caridina species.
      I love the little animals, and i love watchin them work their way around the aquarium.