Sign in to follow this  
Dimos

breeding Neocaridina davidi shrimp of different colors

Baccus

I know the general rule of thumb with red cherries is dark substrate usually produces darker red shrimp, however the darkest most stunning cherry shrimp I had where in a 4ft tank with potential fish predators with pure white sand. They where just purchased as what would be considered low to middle grade but developed into what I think was high grade.

My black cherry colony is on multi-coloured and quite fluro coloured gravel, an these shrimp are a lovely glossy almost blue black, and living with a BN, whiptail catfish and Pacific Blue Eyes.

I think there is 4 ways factors that largely influence the colouration of shrimp

1. Genetics

2. Water parameters eg pH, gH and temp

3. Food variety and quality

4. Lighting intensity, duration and spectrum.

I add lighting because I had noticed with my red cherries when in the 4ft tank with a T8 light (forget which spectrums the bulbs where) first thing in the morning when the lights first came on I would see partially or all blue cherry shrimp, but within a short time these would drop the blue and go back to their normal complete red colour. I know they where colour changing because when I caught the blue shrimp and put them in a baby fish net/ trap while in the same tank within a few minutes the blues had reverted to red.

• Like 1

revolutionhope

Thanks for sharing@baccus: I too have experienced colour changing of cherry shrimp specifically with the choc/black/blue gene pool.

Aside from the colour changing within those 3 colours. This line produced a happy surprise for me recently. I found an actual green mutation! I'm interested to know what people make of it and what type of shrimp might be the best to cross him/her with. I suspect I should stick with another shrimp from the same lineage/group of neos.

ea83819f4d770f92eca3c073668ac118.jpgabeceb1ff8bd158a64cd73eb2018a7b1.jpg7ca154cb27ab11cf1e00916c60f8fe7f.jpg

will

Zoidburg

There are Jade Green Neos.... if you can get your hands on them...

Baccus

If the green one holds its colour when placed in another tank I would suggest adding either shrimp that you think are from the same batch of babies going by colour and size or try to add yellow/ green shrimp to see if any other offspring also show green tendancies.

The story goes that red cherries came about from one or two reddish cherry shrimp that the finder bred together and then picked out the reddest offspring to keep breeding and so on and do forth until we get to the red cherries we have to day.

Also when deciding on what colour a shrimp might be, be very careful of the lighting, certain lights can really make things a different hue. Many a time I  have seen a shrimp of a certain faint colour but when photographed that shrimp appears totally different. My current camera does have a sunset setting that is supposed to "allow  true colour" which I have tried using to get photos of my shrimp just so I can compare colour in a different format. I am slightly colour blind so maybe its just me who has trouble with lighting and subtle colours. But still something to keep in mind.

The biggest problems I have found when trying to develop or produce a particular colour strain is the sheer numbers of tanks you end up needing all with the same parameters to prevent colour changing between different tank conditions. And being totally ruthless when removing all undesired colours leaving only the desired colour to continue breeding. Deciphering potential colour of small and juvi shrimp can be a total nightmare due to their size and that they may not have fully developed their potential. But at the same time you want to remove them prior to them getting to a breeding age and potentially throwing the entire project out of kilter.

A case in point I have been quite active in removing any non-black cherry shrimp from my black cherry project, even to the point of removing chocolates. As soon as I spy any undesired I whip them out and put them in a tank next door that has all the other cast offs. Just the other day even with my frequent wrong colour hunts I happened across an adult pale yellow cherry in the black tank. It had managed to hide away for so long that it was a pure chance that it came out when I happened to be observing the shrimp.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• YoloDaBolo
      By YoloDaBolo
      PLZ HELP 🙂 
    • sky99
      By sky99
      Hello everyone!
      I bought some pintos, and i did put them with my other bees (some panda, some king kong, some blue bolts).
      However, i can't seem to find if pintos do breed true (in that case, should i separate them? or will those mix with the others
      to make cool new paterns, colors, etc?)
      I have a hard time figuring what bee breed true if any.
      I've read that bee are a mutation of CRS/CBS, but do they produce  similar offsprings or is it more random as an interaction of
      multiple genes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!
    • cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a “Breeder Combo Pack” (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      — Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• DEL 707
      Not going to lie, this is giving me a headache. Just want a nice planted tank with fish and shrimp. 🤨 At the moment it looks like it have to either pick 1 or the other. Would this be a solution. Use Seachems Equilibrium and KH products to bring my GH and KH up to 4, then use that Shrimp King Mineral Fluid Double, to bring the GH up to 6. That would make sure that there are at least some minerals for the shrimp.
    • Matuva
      Hi there buddies wanted to show you pics of pipefishes I caught in the wild, Microphis brachyurus and Microphis cruentus. Unfortunately, I now exceed the limit quota of attachments on my profile. Will try to fix that issue ...
    • Crabclaw
      My vote is for Endlers. Mine are the most fascinating (from a fish lovers point of view here) and cute fish in my tank, but I reckon they would be perfect for you, as mine are constantly picking on stuff! They’re the only fish who eat my dreaded snail eggs (on the glass and other surfaces) which I love! Plus you don’t need heaps. Males are small if you just want them for this. And you will be able to get them anywhere.   I have a school of 20 embers in my tank, but I rarely see them hunting in any manner, much less on surfaces.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      In case it helps I have looked up the figures of the 2 tanks with cherry shrimp in them and they are as follows, Main tank     PH7,, GH5, KH2, TDS 225 (mixed water) Betta tank  PH7.5, GH6, KH3, TDS 222 (tap water + mineraliser) They are fairly similar to each other but neither is really in the 'IDEAL' recommendation range of CHERRY shrimp ,so it confirms that cherry shrimp are more adaptable and can thrive even outside those 'IDEAL' parameters? I suppose neither are that far out but it just shows there is a bit less necessity to get everything 100%, though if you aim for perfect you will probably get better results all round? Simon
    • jayc
      Oh, if you are planning on keeping Cherry shrimp aim for 6-8GH as Simon said above.