Any successful Ellobiopsidae Treatments?

Zoidburg

Tried doing a search, came across people mentioning a cure, but did not see recommended guidelines. Just wondering if I might be missing any possible treatments?

So far, I've seen people use...

1. Tank Blackout
  2. Salt Baths/Salted Aquarium
  3. Paraguard
  4. Malachite Green/Formalin Products (Ick Attack, Maracyn 2, JBL Fungol, Sera Mycopur..)
  5. EM Erythromycin (heard of it)
  6. Kordon Herbal Ich Attack
  7. Personalized Treatment Plan
  8. Herbal Treatments (heard of it)
  9. ???

I don't have any shrimp who are infected, so I'm not asking for myself. I did have one shrimp that had the infection and was quarantined. Never made it out of quarantine, unfortunately. Someone else has at least 12 infected shrimp and they are trying products by Fritz (Mardel) to attempt a cure.

The best treatment I've heard of is a combination of malachite green (copper) and formalin (formaldehyde), which is not recommended for inverts. Formaldehyde may no longer be available after this year (at least not on the shelves), so other treatment options would be great!

I've moved this topic to the Shrimp Health & Care section, as it is appropriate to this topic.

There is some discussion this thread I am maintaining.

More detailed discussion in this thread...

Unfortunately, Geoff's shrimp were too far infected and didn't make it through treatment.

The only treatment that I know of that has worked is medication with Formalin & Malachite green combo.

Some off the shelf products with Formalin that also includes malachite green include

• Fritz Mardel QuICK Cure is one such product.
  • Aquasonic has one too.
  • Kordon Rid Ick Plus also uses the same ingredients.

Not sure about #6 Kordon Herbal Ich Attack, as we can't get that readily in Aus, but the rest won't work.

• Like 1

Thanks. I wasn't entirely sure the best place to put the thread.

I've seen both those threads that were mentioned, didn't find any information in it to add. I've come across much the same thing. Actually, thinking about it, I forgot to mention API Melafix and Pimafix. But, like you, the best success seems to come with the malachite green and formalin mix.

I don't know about Australia, but in the USA, products that contain formalin may no longer be on the shelves, thus making treatment that much more difficult. I'm hoping to find other treatments that don't require the use of formalin.

The black out method I've heard works best if done for a minimum of 2-3 weeks. Seems the best course of action, regardless of how it's treated, is to use a bare bottom tank with frequent water changes. The Kordon Herbal Ich Attack (does not contain malachite green, nor formalin), actually suggests not doing water changes until at least 3-4 days after the infection disappears... so that's treating the tank, daily, until it's gone. If the shrimp I was treating didn't die, I would have tried this product.

I'm not even sure if Aquasonic is available in the USA, but we do have plenty of products we can get.

I have some links to pages where treatment was successful using different methods, but I don't know if it's alright to post all the links, and I think some might end up getting blocked?

20 minutes ago, Zoidburg said:

I have some links to pages where treatment was successful using different methods, but I don't know if it's alright to post all the links, and I think some might end up getting blocked?

Melafix and Pimafix don't work either, apparently.

I've not met anyone first hand that has cured it. Mostly, someone has heard of someone else type of stories.

If you send a PM to me with the links to those pages where people have documented successful treatment methods, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Someone had success curring his shrimp (from appearances so far) of this parasite. They used a hospital tote with paraguard, 1ml aquarium salt to liter of water and no light. They also fed some food made to help kill the parasite (made by a vendor who sells shrimp products, but the food itself is currently not for sale through the vendors site).

Started treatment around September 19th, didn't feed for at least 1 1/2 weeks, posted update on October 3rd of the disappearance of the parasite, but the shrimp is still in this hospital tank for at least another week to be sure it's gone.

Someone else swears by Potassium Permanganate as a 100% cure, stating that a University did a study, and it was part of a bigger study. Other people have also used PP to treat the parasite. I asked for references/info, person has refused to give any.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Ginge
      By Ginge
      Hi everyone,
      Im super new to keeping shrimps. I’ve had a couple of cherry shrimps for about a week now and one of them has a strange white colouring on their back it appeared overnight/this morning and I’m not sure if I should be worried.
      Thanks,
      Ben

• cocobean
      By cocobean
      hi everyone
      i noticed one of my cherry shrimp got black spot on her saddle and slightly yellow bellow the black spot its been 1 week in my shrimp tank and nothing happened to her all good (eating , swimming) except she cant close her saddle properly i cant find this kind of disease on google , what should i do? i have no idea because this is my first shrimp tank

its hard to get focus with my phone camera 
      any help and answer i really appreciate it thanks in advance
    • Shrimp Mania
      By Shrimp Mania
      In this video I'm going to show you a cool method of keeping two different neocaridina shrimp in one tank without mixing them. I show you how I separate small colony of yellow cherry shrimp from blue dream shrimp by using small breeding box.
      https://youtu.be/-DrVirbmZT0
    • Lovlea
      By Lovlea
      Hi new shrimp owner here. I’ve read and done lot of research. I’ve had them for only a short time before the 3 females I have became berried all at once. One is an orange and she has a full batch of yellow eggs. I have a clear, with red saddle and tail and a little yellow. She has a small 4 eggs batch (assuming because she’s new to the tank or a new mom) and then this beauty (as seen pictured. When I read about egg color they are yellow or green. Can someone tell me about these blue eggs? The male is all black. 

• Macronano
      By Macronano
      Hi - I'm wondering if anyone can explain what went wrong with my shrimp tank!
      Although the parameters for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite were good in my small tank, the pH was high (8.2). This remained constant over a couple of months, so I thought it was ok. GH & KH were 6.
      Then a couple of weeks ago the red nose shrimp, them this week the cherry shrimp and finally the nerite snails, died. I couldn't figure out the problem. Then today I emptied the tank. It was up on a bookshelf so normally I can't smell the water. Today when I siphoned it out I could smell a very strong chemical smell and the taste (a quick sampling when I siphoned), was tangy. Not like the earthy smell and neutral taste of the other shrimp tank I have. 
      Any ideas what it could have been?
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      Welcome fellow UK shrimp keeper! I would think it would be better to remove the shrimp into the quarantine tank and keep them there whilst you treat the fish in the main tank and once you finish treating the tank and fish do a complete water change (maybe 2 a week apart for safety) before returning the shrimps. That would seem the best option though obviously the shrimp would need to be in the separate tank for weeks. I'm not aware of any medications available for ICH that won't kill shriimp and/or snails. With neocaridina they probably will just about survive 30 degrees but you are pushing it close to the limit! I don't believe ich affects shrimps.
    • ferret-confirmed
      Re-posting here from The Shrimp Spot forum as I need help. Help, 40 litre tank has a ich (ichthyophtyirius multifiliis) / white spot outbreak. We've been able to separate the few surviving neon tetra into an emergency quarantine tank, with appropriate medicine for the fish. We had done this as we had noticed the issue practically too late as we miss identified the white spots as cotton mouth (which the tetra also have). We luckily quarantined the fish from the tank as  the ich reached its second stage as most have matured and abandoned the fish. This has become an issue as even if the neon tetra do not survive the treatment, I cannot re-add them to the tank and I don't want to keep the tank's environment full of parasites. Thankfully ich seem to not be able to effect the shrimp but the medicine we have for them is toxic to the shrimp and the plants in the tank, hence the separating of the neon tetra. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to the tank while the shrimp are still in the tank, as removing them isn't a viable option. We've been trying to get the temp of the tank to 30C and leaving it at that temp for an hour, however the tank's heater is verry slow and doesn't seem to be going up past 27C. From what I've searched 30C should kill of the ich without irritating the bloody mary shrimp too much (too many websites vary their recommended temp, so I wouldn't keep it above 28C long if we were able to get it that high) If anyone knows if there are any ich treatments or methods of killing ich that are safe for invertebrates and potentially plants I would love if they could suggest one.
    • Moul1974
      For beginners and smaller tanks, I recommend glass aquariums because of their affordability and scratch resistance. For larger, more advanced aquariums, we recommend acrylic because it's lighter and easier to repair than glass.
    • becky
      Hooray! I was hoping it was molt but he hasnt progressed at all in about a week. Thank you guys so much for your help again. Ill keep an eye out. 
    • jayc
      It looks like the shrimp is about to moult.  I don't keep Ghost shrimp, so I'm not too familiar with how they look when going into a moult. But the white band along each joint is common in other shrimp when they start to moult.