Sign in to follow this  
Zoidburg

Any successful Ellobiopsidae Treatments?

Zoidburg

Tried doing a search, came across people mentioning a cure, but did not see recommended guidelines. Just wondering if I might be missing any possible treatments?

So far, I've seen people use...

1. Tank Blackout
  2. Salt Baths/Salted Aquarium
  3. Paraguard
  4. Malachite Green/Formalin Products (Ick Attack, Maracyn 2, JBL Fungol, Sera Mycopur..)
  5. EM Erythromycin (heard of it)
  6. Kordon Herbal Ich Attack
  7. Personalized Treatment Plan
  8. Herbal Treatments (heard of it)
  9. ???

I don't have any shrimp who are infected, so I'm not asking for myself. I did have one shrimp that had the infection and was quarantined. Never made it out of quarantine, unfortunately. Someone else has at least 12 infected shrimp and they are trying products by Fritz (Mardel) to attempt a cure.

The best treatment I've heard of is a combination of malachite green (copper) and formalin (formaldehyde), which is not recommended for inverts. Formaldehyde may no longer be available after this year (at least not on the shelves), so other treatment options would be great!

jayc

I've moved this topic to the Shrimp Health & Care section, as it is appropriate to this topic.

There is some discussion this thread I am maintaining.

More detailed discussion in this thread...

Unfortunately, Geoff's shrimp were too far infected and didn't make it through treatment.

The only treatment that I know of that has worked is medication with Formalin & Malachite green combo.

Some off the shelf products with Formalin that also includes malachite green include

• Fritz Mardel QuICK Cure is one such product.
  • Aquasonic has one too.
  • Kordon Rid Ick Plus also uses the same ingredients.

Not sure about #6 Kordon Herbal Ich Attack, as we can't get that readily in Aus, but the rest won't work.

• Like 1

Zoidburg

Thanks. I wasn't entirely sure the best place to put the thread.

I've seen both those threads that were mentioned, didn't find any information in it to add. I've come across much the same thing. Actually, thinking about it, I forgot to mention API Melafix and Pimafix. But, like you, the best success seems to come with the malachite green and formalin mix.

I don't know about Australia, but in the USA, products that contain formalin may no longer be on the shelves, thus making treatment that much more difficult. I'm hoping to find other treatments that don't require the use of formalin.

The black out method I've heard works best if done for a minimum of 2-3 weeks. Seems the best course of action, regardless of how it's treated, is to use a bare bottom tank with frequent water changes. The Kordon Herbal Ich Attack (does not contain malachite green, nor formalin), actually suggests not doing water changes until at least 3-4 days after the infection disappears... so that's treating the tank, daily, until it's gone. If the shrimp I was treating didn't die, I would have tried this product.

I'm not even sure if Aquasonic is available in the USA, but we do have plenty of products we can get.

I have some links to pages where treatment was successful using different methods, but I don't know if it's alright to post all the links, and I think some might end up getting blocked?

jayc
20 minutes ago, Zoidburg said:

I have some links to pages where treatment was successful using different methods, but I don't know if it's alright to post all the links, and I think some might end up getting blocked?

Melafix and Pimafix don't work either, apparently.

I've not met anyone first hand that has cured it. Mostly, someone has heard of someone else type of stories.

If you send a PM to me with the links to those pages where people have documented successful treatment methods, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Zoidburg

Someone had success curring his shrimp (from appearances so far) of this parasite. They used a hospital tote with paraguard, 1ml aquarium salt to liter of water and no light. They also fed some food made to help kill the parasite (made by a vendor who sells shrimp products, but the food itself is currently not for sale through the vendors site).

Started treatment around September 19th, didn't feed for at least 1 1/2 weeks, posted update on October 3rd of the disappearance of the parasite, but the shrimp is still in this hospital tank for at least another week to be sure it's gone.

Someone else swears by Potassium Permanganate as a 100% cure, stating that a University did a study, and it was part of a bigger study. Other people have also used PP to treat the parasite. I asked for references/info, person has refused to give any.

jayc

Good update. Thanks. Looking more promising.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• WaldoDude
      By WaldoDude
      Hello,

I've had 3 cherry shrimp die in the last 2 weeks and can't seem to pin point the issue. For context I had 13 cherry shrimp in a planted 10 gallon with 7 Celestial Pearl Danios. I found the first dead shrimp one afternoon, half eaten by the CPDs. Now about 4-5 months back I had witnessed my CPDs attack and kill a small male cherry shrimp. So my initial thoughts were that the CPDs had done it again, which is odd in itself as they have been fine together for many months. So a week later I found another dead cherry but this time it seemed to have died within the last hour of me spotting it and it hadn't been touched by the CPDs (it was at night, so the CPDs were sleeping). This got me thinking that perhaps, the first Shrimp had died due to something else and then picked off by the CPDs. About 5 days later to today, I found the 3rd dead shrimp again already half eaten by the CPDs, this one was a large adult female. Now on top of all this, I have also had 5 of 6 shrimplets in a hang-on breeder box die. The shrimplets were the first to go and which I think makes sense if it was something to do with the tank environment as they would've been more sensitive. I initially thought I wasn't feeding the shrimplets enough or that it was because I wasn't rinsing the baby brine shrimp I was feeding to the CPD fry. Now that the adults are dying too, i dont think it is a coincidence nor do I think its my CPDs that are the issue.

My speculation is that they are having a molting issues. Now the dead shrimp I found whole had a white line across its back and a cloudy white underbelly, which I took to indicate a molting issue. The shrimplets seem to be having a molting issues too, although the 1 remaining shrimplet molted successfully, and many of the adults did too judging by the many molts scattered about the tank. However, I tested my GH and KH and got 6 and 4 respectively, which I believe is fine from what I've googled. Also I figured if there was an issue with a lack of calcium/minerals could it mean that those that successfully molted could still suffer from a weaker exoskeleton and thus be more vulnerable to the CPDs?
      Another possibility I thought was muscular necrosis, as the half eaten shrimp I found today had a cloudy white underbelly too and from memory the others all did  (not 100% sure) but I had always thought that was just something that happens when a shrimp dies. I'll attach photos to see what you all think.
      I've also considered that perhaps i'm not feeding them enough/well but my previous attempts at feeding them blanched veggies have been unfruitful, they dont swarm the veggies or really touch it (i've tried sweet potato, zucchini, carrots and broccoli). They dont go crazy for the shrimp algae wafers or the hikari shrimp pellets  either but I chuck it in the tank once a week just in case but I assume there's enough algae/biofilm for them. 
      I'm thinking of getting a mineral/calcium supplement for the water but not sure if thats a good idea if my gh/kh is already fine. 
      CPDs are all fine and healthy. 

Anyways here are my parameters:

Ammonia - 0
      Nitrite - 0
      Nitrate - 0
      PH - 8.0
      GH - 6
      KH - 4
      TDS - don't know. I've seen mentions of TDS but not quite sure how important it is with cherry shrimp. Do you think I should get a TDS meter?
      Temp - 26C
      Water change - 25% once a week with dechlorinated tap water.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.
      Cheers!
      Pictures
      Top Left: latest death with white underside (fuzziness?) visible. Top Right: Second death with the white line across the back visible as well as a white potruding underbelly.
      Bottom Left: Just a picture of an alive shrimp in the tank, to see if anyone can see anything wrong. Are those brownish discoloration an issue?
      Bottom Right: Another live shrimp can also see a white underbelly which I thought was normal?

• Submerged
      By Submerged
      Hi! I've just started a YouTube channel, and my first video is of my 8 month old no filter Jarrarium. Nothing in-depth, more about the aesthetics...and the cherry shrimp 🙂
      Subscribe if you like it, as I'll be posting more videos of other tanks, updates on tanks etc.
      Take a look and let me know what you think! Would be good to get some knowledgeable opinions! Thanks🙂

• stlcopperhead
      By stlcopperhead
      Hi all, 
      I’m confused about the ID on this parasite/infection my neo has. She has nothing on her head/rostrum at all...it seems to be mostly around her eggs, with some on her shell, off to the side.
      I’ve done one salt dip on her already, and no change so far. 

I have some great pics of it, but even a single pic is apparently much to be posted here. Can someone help me out with that? Newbie, here. 😏

• Dashrimp
      By Dashrimp
      Hi all. I'm a newbie. I'm keeping a 90 litre tank with cherry shrimp and daphnia together. I'm feeding them spirulina and commercial shrimp food.
       Does anyone know what else I should be feeding them? Anyone else have this mix of tankmates?
    • YoloDaBolo
      By YoloDaBolo
      PLZ HELP 🙂