• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      That looks great and I'm sure shrimps will be very happy exploring and grazing in there. I look forward to hearing how it goes this time. I don't think anyone over here is sending shrimps (or fish) at the moment so I am not planning to get anything here soon, the fish are doing well in that tank, and there is 1 red steel shrimp survivor which shows itself occassionally? Simon  
    • LCM94
      now the upload seems to be working with a 2Mb file ... but initially 6Mb seemed to big (popup with a "-200" error message, whatever that means 😐)  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to see you back and hopefully this time all will go well! Tiger shrimp would probably be best as a TESTER as they are less fragile and more adaptable to different parameters than Taiwan bee, so I would get a small group of those and see how that goes at this stage, you can change (or mix?) to the Taiwan bee if all works for a few months? With the correct parameters the PH should stay stable unless there is something like rocks that alter the PH. Using RO water plus the shrimp minerals will provide all the parameters at a set balance. I'm not aware of any changes since you posted the pctures back in April so can only assume it may be file size related, can you do one at 1mb or below? Simon  
    • LCM94
      Hello, I have totally redone my tank: removed substrate & woods. Cleaned the inside of the tank. I just kept most of the plants, cleaned them in tap water, cut out the roots. I put in a new substrate: JBL Manado Dark (neutral substrate) I added spider wood after cleaning them off Almost a month now has passed and parameters are pretty much stable. I still use osmosis water (ph = 6 to 6.5). I had a question though: - If I set the correct ppm parameters, normally Ph should stay stable? - I was thinking of introducing Tiger shrimps (that should be fine) but what about caridinas? I guess that would work as well?  PS: seems that I can't upload a file of 6Mb? Even 2Mb
    • jayc
      Epic ! LOL, your cat ! Just sitting there watching all the fuss.