Clicky

sky99

Do pinto breed true?

sky99

Hello everyone!

I bought some pintos, and i did put them with my other bees (some panda, some king kong, some blue bolts).

However, i can't seem to find if pintos do breed true (in that case, should i separate them? or will those mix with the others

to make cool new paterns, colors, etc?)

I have a hard time figuring what bee breed true if any.

I've read that bee are a mutation of CRS/CBS, but do they produce  similar offsprings or is it more random as an interaction of

multiple genes?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!
    • jayc
      By jayc
      This is still a draft now final but can still be updated to accommodate new info. Please help me refine the terminology, and let me know if I have forgotten anything that has to be included.
      Common Terminology
      Tigers, Crystals and Taiwan Bees will all breed together. Here are some common terms or names that are used in the Shrimp hobby to describe various shrimp.
      The following picture from rah-bop will paint a better image as we go through the descriptions.
      Refer back to this picture as you read the descriptions.
      (Click to expand)

What is a Tibee?
      A tibee is a hybrid between any Tiger (OEBT - orange eye blue tiger or also blonde tiger) - and usually a Taiwan Bee (TB)
      OR
      can also be hybrid between any Tiger and Crystals - CBS (Crystal Black Shrimp) and CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp).
      The preference is to cross with a Taiwan Bee. Since TBs are rarer and more expensive, you might not have enough TBs to breed. Using a Tiger as a partner to the Taiwan Bee, will ensure some genes are carried over when you cross the Tibee back with the Taiwan Bee parent. It's offspring could yield some Taiwan Bees.
      Crystals are more common. So a Tibee from TigerXCrystal is not as sought after. But nature can throw up some amazing colours from this hybrid too. I am working on a TigerXCRS myself to try to get some Red Tiger tibees.
      What is a TaiTibee?
      A Taitibee is a Tibee crossed back with a Taiwan Bee.
      What is a Pinto?
      A Pinto is a colour variation and type of Taitibee.
      There are 3 variants of patterns:
      Spotted Head Zebra Fancy - Such as skunk pattern and cloud patterns. The creative name for skunk pattern is derived from the black-and-white pattern, which very much resembles that of a skunk, especially due to the pattern on the head. And as the name suggests, the Cloud pattern very much resembles clouds shapes on the head of the shrimp. Colouration of pintos generally come in either black or red base.
      Black Zebra Pinto

Red Zebra Pinto

Cloud Pinto

Skunk Pinto

What is a Mischling?
      Mischling is a German word for "crossbreed" (plural: Mischlinge).
      A mischling (in the shrimp hobby) is a hybrid cross between Crystals and Taiwan Bees.
      When this crossbred mischling is crossed with another CRS, it's genetics are diluted, and you get a small % of Taiwan Bees.
      When mischlings are crossed with another mischling it's genetics are even more diluted. And the % of TB are even smaller to the point of never getting a TB. It's like striking Lotto.
      However, when you cross a mischling back with a Taiwan Bee, you get a larger % of TBs, but with the added benefit of strengthening it's gene pool when it's original parents were mixed with a CRS.
      BlueBolts has already started an excellent sticky thread on Mischling here:
      http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/714-minchlings/
      This article is a supplement to information already on SKF. It is by no means trying to supersede any information found elsewhere.
      Here is an excellent explanation from Ineke as well “Taiwan Bees crossed with Crystals give Mischlings which are then crossed back to Taiwan Bees to help people get to their goals quicker in having more Taiwan Bees (TB) however on this forum we like to let people know when Mischling bloodlines appear in our breeding so more initials are added. If you get a King Kong (KK) Bluebolt (BB), Panda or any other TB from a TB/ Mischling cross we like to let people know by saying we have a KK(TBM)-King Kong from TB / Mischling. If you are lucky enough to get a TB. From 2 Mischlings it would be a KK (TBMM) or whatever type of TB you have. This just keeps people honest and let's buyers know that they will get a percentage of Mischlings from their TBM / TBMM. Nothing worse than having Mischlings showing up in your TB. Breeding program when you thought you had purebreds".
      What is a Tibee cross Mischling?
      To my knowledge, this has not been given a common name yet. It's still a Caridina Cantonensis. It's still a bee shrimp. It is just a different colour variant.
      Let's call this variant a "Tischling" for now (03Oct2014), unless someone can confirm a common name that pre-dates this name.
      This Tischling is an uncommon hybrid, possibly because the desirable genetic traits are too diluted and takes the shrimp keeper further away from achieving desirable goals. Not when there are easier and faster breeding choices that would achieve the same goal. Like for instances, using the Tibee or Mischling to be crossed back to a pure Tiger, Crystal or Taiwan Bee.
      A hybrid Mischling might carry recessive traits, and is unseen (like a specific colour), and crossing it with another hybrid Tibee would be like trying to get a certain colour (say red), from something that doesn't show any colour. A complete guess.
    • cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a “Breeder Combo Pack” (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      — Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• Shrimp Farm
      By Shrimp Farm
      Hello guys.
      I'd like to share some of my Pinto mix. Hope that U like them. Plis tell me aswell should I start as a part of my chanel english version :)

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfan
      Very ingenious and a lot cheaper than buying something made specifically for the purpose. I haven't seen anything like this in the UK, we never get the range/variety that large countries like US and Australia get. It is good to give people all the alternatives and then they can decide what they want and what is available to them. I'm sure there will be lots of people interested in your water container. Is it easy to fill or do you use a funnel? Or have you cut a hole in the side/top (the black patch in the photo)? How big is it in water capacity?
    • Proy21
      It was a normal red cherry. It was as they all were, a standard red color. No dark pigmentation in the bunch. Color definitely changed after death. All other shrimp are healthy, eating and moving around. water parameters were tested twice yesterday and twice today, i’ll probably do a third before the night is over. All parameters are perfect, tested with drops and tubes. Gh &Kh are acceptable. TDS is 240ish and hasn’t  moved in a long while. tell me about the bacteria that you reference. thanks
    • jayc
      There is nothing more satisfying than DIY, and building your own water change dripper. I use an old 4L spring water bottle that has one of those spouts that have a tap on it. Cut a hole on the top to make adding water into the bottle easier. (as per the picture below). And just turn the tap on ever so slightly until a required drip rate is achieved. Cost: $4 for the water bottle, which was used at a picnic.   
    • jayc
      Was this a Red cherry or Black cherry? Pigmentation can change colour on death of the shrimp. It's difficult to tell from a photo if its pigmentation change or bacterial infection.   To be safe, test your water parameters for ammonia. A large change in population can cause issues in a small tank, especially when the beneficial bacteria cannot cope with the sudden increase in waste.
    • Proy21
      Good morning, I received my order of 20 shrimp from a very well known breeder. All looked good. all water parameters were ok yesterday and are the same today. the tank has been up and running for 6 months. i had one cherry in there for almost the whole time. (Had more but I believe the black diamond sand created issues for the first 20 I bought) somehow this single shrimp has been a trooper and never had any issues, I obviously removed the sand) TDS is 245 i had one shrimp die overnight...to be expected I guess. Weird part is that when I found it this morning it had areas of black or dark blue on the sides of both head and tail.  I added in the tiniest amount of Bacter AE after they arrived. I also offered 2 granules of north Fin community and veggie. Which was gone a few hours later. so I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas? All the other shrimp look ok so far.