New Shrimp Tank

Callan

Okay got that terrible disease we all get a bad case of MORETANKITIS. It started with the plan to keep it very basic and minimal.

A while ago I got some really nice driftwood from Fishmosy and couldn't resist using some. So it is still evolving and was done a budget of $0.

I decided to split the 3ft tank into two sections and remebered that I had some glass dividers spare and thought too easy they are already drilled. Went to get them and then remembered I gave them to the guy who bought three 4ft tanks of me....Damn!!!!  What now????

I found some fairly thick clear perspex.  Cool this will work.......Now how can I add add holes for flow between the two sides? I know I will cover the holes with plastic mesh. Searched high and low couldn't find any. Ahhhhhhh!!!! I threw it out a few weeks ago.......Damn!!!!

I was trying to think of what to do when I noticed the top of an old fry breeding box. So I cut out a rectangle at the bottom and fitted some plastic flywire to stop shrimplets getting through and fixed it in place. Works a treat.

I then cut the perspex divider a couple of mm less then the width of the tank and split some old air hose which I fitted onto each side. This allowed me to jam it into position firmly enough to stay but also allows me to take it out if I decide to take it back to a single tank, without having to try and clean up silicone.

Driftwood, mixture of shrimp sand, black gravel, small river pebble, clay balls, grey slate

Hang on filter, air filters

So I have used some bolbitis, sword, val, java fern, windolove, Native moss, riccia fluteans, subwassertang.

I intend to put some hornwort and elodea at the back and am also going to add some marshwort which I hope will grow up to the water level and give a waterlily type look.

I still have some plants to go in at the back to get some height but here are a few pictures. You can see the lid of the fry saver used as a vent.

Be kind and remember this was done on a zero budget

ebay_photos_016.thumb.JPG.4b975273590c04

One of the pieces was a branch so I decided to use it and make it look like a weeping willow and attached it to a piece of slate then added some java moss 

ebay_photos_014.thumb.JPG.de38fc4060c0c4

I decided to hide the air filter behind the large piece of driftwood. The moss ledges from Newbreed

ebay_photos_013.thumb.JPG.46023642391f9e

• Like 6