Sign in to follow this  
salvanost

should i use UGF filter with breeding sponge?

salvanost

hello, i want to setup 5 tanks

and my goal would be adding 1 or 2 pipe UGF into the tank!

it's my first time using UGF filter, people often said i must beware of the sludge it would hinder the UGF from working properly

i think i could prevent it,  yeah maybe... urgh...

next problem would be a shorter soil life, usually good soil would be good for 2 years, but my friend always got random death after 8 month

change the soil and voila, problem solved, i need some trick for these problem, i don't know what the trick, but i don't want to setup the tank again after 8 month...

i could add more soil, for stronger buffer, maybe more soil mean more life time?

any idea how to use the ugf?

Thanks

newbreed

Some of the Taiwan breeder tanks use the UG successfully in its own glassed off section at rear of tank, usually quite deep. Then open front area with fine layer. Then if you need to change the soil you are only changing one easier to manage section. May be worth investigating. I am seriously considering this too.

salvanost

1st ugf tank setup

k4h4c2.jpg

• Like 1

Unknown
On 6/28/2015, 9:54:43, newbreed said:

Some of the Taiwan breeder tanks use the UG successfully in its own glassed off section at rear of tank, usually quite deep. Then open front area with fine layer. Then if you need to change the soil you are only changing one easier to manage section. May be worth investigating. I am seriously considering this too.

+1 to that I was thinking of getting a couple of divided tanks aswell

NoGi

Probably asking the obvious but how do you clean the filters?

shrimp-keeping

IMG_3273.JPG?10185293531155920529I have 12 tanks all set up using taiwan method, internal divider glass approx 15cm high and 15cm deep, packed with media n soil

Sorry Photo rotated... cant see how turn back

• Like 3

shrimp-keeping

two ways to clean below the UGF.

1. is siphon from down the tube of UGF or

2. if u custom the tanks. Put a drainage valve below under the ugf. So when u do water change u do via the valve.

• Like 2

Leo Tsui
On 3 July 2015 at 10:04 PM, salvanost said:

1st ugf tank setup

k4h4c2.jpg

I saw similar setup with UGF, but I saw ppl using some special type of small light rock, looks like small pieces of lava rock, put in between of the filter and soil. Can I use power sand instead?

salvanost

in my case, ugf filter not giving a worthy result

i still see ADA aquasoil amazonia 2 (which in theory not good with ugf filter)

better than other soil

and ugf filter = more hair algae problem

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• sky99
      By sky99
      Hello everyone!
      I bought some pintos, and i did put them with my other bees (some panda, some king kong, some blue bolts).
      However, i can't seem to find if pintos do breed true (in that case, should i separate them? or will those mix with the others
      to make cool new paterns, colors, etc?)
      I have a hard time figuring what bee breed true if any.
      I've read that bee are a mutation of CRS/CBS, but do they produce  similar offsprings or is it more random as an interaction of
      multiple genes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      Just wondering if any of ya'll have experience keeping filter feeder shrimp? They're fairly common here although most of the LFS tend to stock lethargic specimens that seem to be on their last legs 😕 Just need some advice on how to spot and pick out healthy specimens for my community tank 😄  
      Also, anyone know where I could find the less common wood shrimp on steroids? Let me know 🙂 
      Common Wood Shrimp

Wood Shrimp's Buff Cousin, Vampire Shrimp

• edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      But the shrimp will be thinking otherwise. Look at all that yummy brown diatom!
    • jayc
      I am old school like that too. I prefer the classics patterns/colours. And I try very hard to not create further hybrids. I want my CRS to be CRS. My tigers to be tigers. etc...   @kms, all the more to support the site and sign up as a paid member.   @Cesar, what's the deal now with the new forum update? Has the photo size limits been changed, and if so what is the max for regular members?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks for that, it helps to know that it is probably going to be fine with time. I tried a different substrate this tie so that is all I can put it down too! I will revert to the JBL in future as this hasn't happened with that? I don't use any plant ferttilisers, and as above have never had to with the JBL substrate. The JBL is primarily a plant substrate and the shrimp king is primarily a shrimp one I guess, though they both seem to do the same buffering /softening etc? There will be a bit of a delay with breeding I expect as they don't mature until they are 6 months I believe? Again, thanks for that, it helps to know what someone else thinks and the tank has improved (hard to believe from the photos) going a bit greener and the stringy algae virtually now disappeared. Also a few new leaves on some plants etc. I just checked the water parameters and they are spot on! Simon
    • kms
      The new update has reduce the photo size to 1.67MB for me, and all the photo taken with my phone is over. My pinto only cost less that GBP 4, as for the Red Wine, its 5 for GBP 10.20, any extra Red Wine will be GBP 2 if more than 5 is purchased.
    • Grubs
      New tanks often go through a brown diatom phase and its just a waiting game before the diatoms naturally senesce.  Ride it out. The shrimp will certainly help clean it up and I'd wager that diatom rich biofilm is good nutrition.  You'll have shrimp breeding before you know it.  There is certainly a good complex variety of habitat for them to explore and exploit. Are you using any plant fertilisers yet?