The Great Oz Shrimp Off - MAY Photo Competition!

newbreed

Hi Everyone,

It's on again. The Great Oz Shrimp Off - Photo Competition for (late) May!!

Terms and Conditions of entry below.

You will all have until *** 11pm AEST Saturday 7th June *** to post your competition picture.

Terms and Conditions of entry are as follows:

# Entry is open to SKF members with a post count of 25 or above

# No Photo-shopped entries will be accepted

# One photo only per member can be submitted

# The same photo cannot be used in subsequent rounds

# Photos already posted on the forum are not to be used in the competition, new photos each time

# The photo must be of your own shrimp (a chance to show off one of your favourites)

# Each entrant needs to take a full tank shot of the tank their entry comes from, for confirmation purposes (where required). This full tank shot does not need to be posted in the competition thread but held onto in case of authentication being requested by mods or admin. This photo must clearly show your username and month of competition.

Subject of this Month's Competition:
CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp)

The Prize for this month's Competition!
Aside from the prestige of winning a monthly competition on an awesome forum, the prize this month will be a CRS Care Pack containing the following:
1 x Beninbachi Red Up 30g
1 x Benibachi SP Max-H (White Up)30g
1 x Benibachi Mineral Powder 120g
**over $70 worth in value**

The prizes and subject will change each month....

The rest is up to you!!! Please be sure to post your competition photos in this thread, thanks!! :)

• Like 1

• HOF Member

She isn't the highest quality but you can't deny she qualifies as a yummy mummy CRS

fe1b0fb5529a191cd29f5fda6934cd78_171422_

Edited by ineke
  • Like 3

Only got phone to take photos these days but as they say you  gotta be in it to win it.

20140531_154552_zps6e7ca823.jpg

This is one of my last surviving CRS shrimp unfortunately.

• Like 2

Great entries so far, only five days to get your entries in everyone!!

The dandelion is all gone. 

they must have been too quick for you to even take a pic.

I pulled the petals out to blanch them before they went in the tank. Every shrimp grabbed at least one petal. There were even a couple of scuffles which is pretty rare in my tank.

i thought comps of this nature were to be anonymous entries or is that only when the new photo comp tool is introduced?

That's the new tool mate. It's getting built now for me. Guy is super busy so fitting me in where he can. At a price too  :money:

Edited by NoGi

I really like the depth of colours in your shrimp hoang. showing an interesting pattern to 

haha, thanks. I didnt notice until u told me. Luckily I got some nice one but they are female, hopefully they will have nice offspring as well. :D

This is some of my quality, really want to share with u guys :">

IMG_0667.jpgIMG_0939.jpg

Edited by hoang1912

Beautiful shrimp hoang! Some awesome patterns and nice solid color too!

Just to confirm, the first pic is your entry to the comp? Cheers

My favourite subject - a Riffle

edited to remove the photo. I'll save it for another comp.

Edited by yeswaitnosorry

Nice Riffle.

But isn't this a CRS photo comp?

• Like 1

Yes unfortunately this month is for CRS entries so riffle will unable to be entered :) 

Great pic of that riffle though! It won't be entered into this competition round but feel free to use it in the Riffle round!

Do you have an CRS pics to enter?

I feel so embarrassed (where's an embarrassed smiley when you need one?)

Better read the competition rules next time. :lolu:

All good!! Easy done!! :)

Nice entries so far and great prizes up for grabs , thanks to comp sponsors !!!!!

lets see if I can snap my A grade CRS before the comp closes;-)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.
    • ngoomie
      Hello! I have a tank that currently does not contain shrimp, but does contain neon tetras which I am currently treating for Ich, as well as some bladder snails. Shrimp will be a later addition, likely cherry shrimp but I'm still doing research just to be sure. Initially I'd intended to buy some sort of Ich-fighting product that contains malachite green after doing a decent bit of research on it, most of which indicated that it should be shrimp-safe so I'd be good if I ever needed to use it again once shrimp were actually introduced (though I should note I'm aware shrimp can't get Ich, I'm more wondering in case the tetras could get Ich again, or something else that responds to similar medication). I ended up not being able to find any MG-containing products without either having to travel quite far or wait multiple days for delivery (which I was worried could lead the Ich to be fatal), and ended up picking up 'Top Fin Ick Remedy', a product that contains gentian violet which is a triarylmethane dye like malachite green. The bottle has two slightly differently worded warnings about its use with invertebrates ("not recommended for" and "not safe for" respectively), but when I'd been researching malachite green, I'd also heard of products that contain MG but not any other ingredients that would be harmful to inverts still being branded with warnings that they could be harmful, just as a "just-in-case" since the manufacturer didn't test it on any inverts, and I'm wondering if maybe it could be a similar situation here. I'm having a very very hard time finding information about gentian violet's use in fishkeeping at all though, it seems currently extremely uncommon. What I will say though is that I'm on day 2 of treating my tetras with it, and the bladder snails seem just fine -- in fact today I noticed what looked to be a bladder snail that appeared to be newly hatched (because of its size) that I hadn't seen before that was zipping around the tank without issue. But obviously, shrimp are not snails, and bladder snails are also notoriously hardy little guys, so what I'm seeing right now could easily be totally inapplicable to cherry shrimp. It might even be inapplicable to other species of snails, for all I know. Has anyone else here ever used anything that contains gentian violet in a tank that actually does contain shrimp? Were they okay, or should I make sure to not use it once shrimp are added?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58BrDSEY8KE