WHITE Darwin Red Nose Shrimp

poeticwinter

I will have a look for the name of the bug for you Bob
Thanks Bob.
Sorry the pictures are not in any particular order' date=' but I actually caught two white ones at different times, hence the varying sizes of the two shrimp. [/quote']Mind if I add a link to a couple of your pics in the Diseases and Diagnosis sticky?You've got some nice clear pics there.

You certainly can add them to the sticky.

awh it shame, they look cool with white body

A while ago I caught a wild macro with a well developed stage of this white body disease, it survived for quite a few months in a tank before it finally died.P1030768.jpgP1030741.jpgP1030746.jpgP1030755.jpgP1030758.jpgP1030764.jpgP1030775.jpgSorry the pictures are not in any particular order, but I actually caught two white ones at different times, hence the varying sizes of the two shrimp. The larger macro lasted a long time in captivity, and the other couple of healthy ones that where also in the tank from the same creek caught at the same time did not contract the disease in the time I had them in the tank. They eventually went down to my old bathtub that doubles as a pond and from there I last track of them, they could still be in the bathtub with the guppies and waterlilies.When I caught the shrimp it was during a very hot/ dry spell so I would think the stress of the water conditions and ambient temp was what triggered to disease to take hold in the first place.On a side note I have seen the same whitening in cherry shrimp, but that could well be a different pathogen that produces the same outcome.

I've seen this in DRNS and Zebs after shipping or tank change stress. Can take a month of more to become fatal

• 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      One interesting thing he mentioned was "Bacteria pressure", which I guess just means number of bacteria around.  Yet I see all these other videos from shrimpkeepers bragging about how much bacteria their filtering system holds. Also interesting is no mention of using anti-biotics to treat bacterial infection.  I think that has fallen out of favor recently.
    • sdlTBfanUK
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards