WHITE Darwin Red Nose Shrimp

poeticwinter

Hi guys, i have this shrimp looking different. do you think is common darwin red nose with white body colour? or may be this type of shrimp under different name?

post-3931-139909865922_thumb.jpg

post-3763-139909863895_thumb.jpg

Whatever it is it looks awesome. Has the DRNS nose though. Try and breed it. :)

will do :) cheers

Whatever it is it looks awesome. Has the DRNS nose though. Try and breed it. :)

Becareful

i think this may be disease

i seen some glass shrimp awhile ago that had that exact white body colour and they all died

It was some kind of disease

awh... should call master of shrimp! Blue bolt what do you think? hehe

Becareful i think this may be disease i seen some glass shrimp awhile ago that had that exact white body colour and they all died It was some kind of disease

It is some thing you can not fix and is doomed, sorry but it is some thing no one knows how to fix YET and is most likely a parasite, the good news is I have not had it pass on to other shrimp and it can show up at any time and usually it shows up after a stressful event in the shrimps past.

Bob

I see. so do you think this desease cant spread to other shrimp? I just bought it from local LFS, i thought that unique hehe

It is some thing you can not fix and is doomed, sorry but it is some thing no one knows how to fix YET and is most likely a parasite, the good news is I have not had it pass on to other shrimp and it can show up at any time and usually it shows up after a stressful event in the shrimps past.Bob

+3 Doesn't look good in that first photo.

Checkout the Shrimp Diseases and Diagnosis sticky.

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/5215-Shrimp-Diseases-and-Diagnosis

Looks like Muscular Necrosis.

If it's that far progressed in it's infection, there isn't much you can do.

You could try separating it and giving the shrimp good oxygenated water conditions, as well as water parameters devoid of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. See if it improves, but don't get your hopes up.

Ouch….it's doomed :-( I think the white appearance is caused by hundreds/thousands of microscopic parasites.

ouch :-( i bought sick shrimp! allright will separate the shrimp hopefully getting better. the shrimp eat and moving allright at the moment.

It is something I see in stressed wild populations, as in when there water is in poor condition coming into the dry season. Not all will get it, about 70% in bad times.

As I said I have not had it transfer to healthy shrimp, but I have not had any that have it survive either. I have the name of the Parasite some where, but that is of little help because when it gets that far it is to far.

You can not blame the place you purchased it either as there is little Shrimp health stuff out there for people to know what is good and what is bad.

Bob

thanks bob :) thats okay hopefully will get better :)

It is something I see in stressed wild populations, as in when there water is in poor condition coming into the dry season. Not all will get it, about 70% in bad times.As I said I have not had it transfer to healthy shrimp, but I have not had any that have it survive either. I have the name of the Parasite some where, but that is of little help because when it gets that far it is to far.You can not blame the place you purchased it either as there is little Shrimp health stuff out there for people to know what is good and what is bad.Bob

I will cross my fingers for you and let us know if it gets better.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news

I to thought I had something different the first time I caught one, but it kicked on

Bob

It could just be a massive saddle with like a billion eggs! Sorry mate that is what it looks like to me though...Poor little fella.

Bob,

I'd like to find out more on what you know about this disease, in the quest to maintain the "Diseases and Diagnosis" sticky.

From my resource this disease is called Muscular Necrosis.

The destruction of cells in muscles or flesh of the shrimp. The result is an inflammatory reaction or decomposition of the surrounding tissue. Proteins produced by the decomposition of the cells will be released, and is seeing as the white colour.

What causes the death of the cells in the first place is unclear in my research. Possible leads seem to indicate poor water conditions.

However, you seem to think it's parasitic.

This is where I'd like more details so we can update the sticky.

Happy for us to continue the conversation in the sticky so as to not completely derail this thread.

One of the Shrimp Scientists gave me the name of it and said it was a parasite that caused it, how ever it is activated by poor water quality= stress and that gives the parasite the trigger to multiply. That was the case with the shrimps I sent him, I would also suspect that there is more than one cause to the whitening of the shrimp like that but they are all stress related.

The other thing that is backing it up for me is I have never seen it in captive breed shrimp, only wild caught specimens. Any thing I have that has been captive breed both in native and OS shrimps has never had it.

Some questions come out of that.

Has anyone here had the Overseas shrimp types get it?

Do they get it Over Seas?

I have notes on its occurrence here in FNQ and it coincides with the onset of the dry season and poor water conditions, not having a scope at the time I was not able to have a look to see and getting someone to look out of the kindness of their heart is impossible, to pay someone to look is so costly it is not worth it and as Shrimp in general are not a important species no one is going to waste funding to look (DAM).

I have not read anything on it but I am not a fan of Internet research, I tend to stick to what I am involved in one way or the other.

I can send you my email to chat, but as far as Diseases and Diagnosis for the forum? there is nothing to fix it that I am aware of and Shrimp treatment is a whole new science, how ever we could look to prawn farmers as they would have problems that would parallel ours.

Bob

awh i move separately on the tank with fluval shrimp sand been running more than 4 weeks, but i didnt check the water parameter and the shrimp DEAD :'( RIP Guys... I think move him to new place wasn't good idea..

Everything I've read about this disease is similar to what you have written even from an actual parasite causing it.

There could be a good chance that the parasite thrived when the shrimp was weakened due to stressful conditions.

However, it would be great to get that name off you.

In my research on this disease, the parasite Myxosporidien have been known to multiply in the shrimp's flesh, that literally eat the shrimp from the inside. Myxosporidien will thrive when the shrimp is weakened, as a result of say poor water conditions. Myxosporidien attacks the shrimps flesh at a cellular level, causing the cell to die. And as the cell dies, a protein is released giving it that milky white colour.

I'd like to add it to the sticky. Not that there is any known cure yet, but from an identification point of view and knowing what "might" cause the problem. Knowledge base, just keep adding to it about what we know in this relatively new hobby. We do what we can to gather information with whatever little resources we have.

As for whether this disease occurs overseas? The answer is yes.

As evidenced in my pictures in the Disease and Diagnosis sticky, the pictures of shrimps were from an overseas breeder. And it occurred in yellow cherries and some shrimp that person called white pearl. Again the cause was poor water conditions and lack of oxygen in the water.

The white colour spread from the tail towards the head, and eventually turned the shrimp into what you see in those pics in the sticky.

Drop me a PM when you find the name of that parasite.

awh i move separately on the tank with fluval shrimp sand been running more than 4 weeks' date=' but i didnt check the water parameter and the shrimp DEAD :'( RIP Guys... I think move him to new place wasn't good idea..[/quote']

Sorry about the news.

If that shrimp had what disease we thought it had, then it was already about to pass on.

It's also a good idea to have separated it, since Myxosporidien (read my post above), can be spread to other shrimp IF there was any cannibalism.

Cannibalism there is a big cause of the spread of many bugs.

I will have a look for the name of the bug for you and when I see it in the wild again I will take some water readings, It will happen around September again Rain dependant.

I would think a lot of shrimp form the areas it occurs will carry the Bug and other spots wont.

Bob

A while ago I caught a wild macro with a well developed stage of this white body disease, it survived for quite a few months in a tank before it finally died.

P1030768.jpg

P1030741.jpg

P1030746.jpg

P1030755.jpg

P1030758.jpg

P1030764.jpg

P1030775.jpg

Sorry the pictures are not in any particular order, but I actually caught two white ones at different times, hence the varying sizes of the two shrimp. The larger macro lasted a long time in captivity, and the other couple of healthy ones that where also in the tank from the same creek caught at the same time did not contract the disease in the time I had them in the tank. They eventually went down to my old bathtub that doubles as a pond and from there I last track of them, they could still be in the bathtub with the guppies and waterlilies.

When I caught the shrimp it was during a very hot/ dry spell so I would think the stress of the water conditions and ambient temp was what triggered to disease to take hold in the first place.

On a side note I have seen the same whitening in cherry shrimp, but that could well be a different pathogen that produces the same outcome.