Indian Almond Leaves

Millsy

i think you will find most shrimp keepers use them.

they are a good food source and also soften the water a little which is good for crystal shrimp.

IAL is also suppose to have some antibacterial properties, so all in all they are good to use.

I use them when i am going away for a week or two on holidays.

It prevents the shrimp from starving to death and keeps the pH down.

You can also purchase a Tunz Auto top off system and connect it to you tank with R/O water.

This prevents evap while you are away

Cool, thanks for the info. I have some coming from ebay. They're only b/c quality, 50g for $4 was worth a look I figured.

I looked at your blog emboli. Wow, you have some really beautiful tanks mate. I also liked your pic's of your yellow cherries.

Just a few questions re the leaves.

Do they drop the Ph straight away (eg in a few days) or do they need to break down over time to drop the ph?

I only have a few CRS in a tank. Can I cut the leaves up and feed small pieces every few days or do I put in a whole leaf and remove the uneaten portion after a set time?

Thanks

I don't use them in my main tank, I just have a huge plastic drum outside, which I use for WC's, I have about 3 leaves in that all the time to change PH.

My shrimp are strange, I have never seen them eating the IAL ever, but most people say they go crazy for them....

I don't use them in my main tank' date=' I just have a huge plastic drum outside, which I use for WC's, I have about 3 leaves in that all the time to change PH.

My shrimp are strange, I have never seen them eating the IAL ever, but most people say they go crazy for them....[/quote']

They don't eat the IAL, they eat the biofilm that forms on the surface as bacteria break it down. Other microorganisms the shrimp like eat it as well.

My shrimps certainly looks like they eat the decomposing IAL though. I do agree initially it's the biofilm that they feed on. Takes a few weeks for IAL to decompose.

I put mine in a tub of water for about 2 weeks before I throw it into the shrimp tank.

I find it softens the leaves and they eat the slime coat on the leaves

Just received 100 A grade IAL from Singapore. The Ebay seller is very professional as she declared and pre-treat the IAL so there's no problem getting through the custom.

Cheers

Just received 100 A grade IAL from Singapore. The Ebay seller is very professional as she declared and pre-treat the IAL so there's no problem getting through the custom.

Cheers

Amy Kettapang INC?

i ordered some from her ebay store ages ago, got 1 lot of the teabag style which got in fine, but the lot of A-grade leaves i ordered a few weeks later was held and later destroyed by customs. it was a pain and i didnt bother to order from her again. they are cheap though, but it was easier to just buy locally.

Amy Kettapang INC?

i ordered some from her ebay store ages ago' date=' got 1 lot of the teabag style which got in fine, but the lot of A-grade leaves i ordered a few weeks later was held and later destroyed by customs. it was a pain and i didnt bother to order from her again. they are cheap though, but it was easier to just buy locally.[/quote']

Thats the one..back than did she heat treat the IAL and declared for custom? Maybe I got lucky.

Cheers

Amy Kettapang INC?

i ordered some from her ebay store ages ago' date=' got 1 lot of the teabag style which got in fine, but the lot of A-grade leaves i ordered a few weeks later was held and later destroyed by customs. it was a pain and i didnt bother to order from her again. they are cheap though, but it was easier to just buy locally.[/quote']

I got mine from betta wan, customs doesn't seem to know what they're doing, an entire shipment was held for several weeks, over a month if I remember correctly. They eventually got let through. They held them for being citrus, then they held them because they thought the natural mottling was a bacterial infection.

They don't eat the IAL' date=' they eat the biofilm that forms on the surface as bacteria break it down. Other microorganisms the shrimp like eat it as well.[/quote']

Let me re-quote that, I mean, I never see my shrimp on the IAL, or eat it, or eat anything on it, ever if it has been in for week/months and is breaking down.

I've never really seen mine become too interested in it it, they prefer spinach or dried blackberry.

I got mine from betta wan' date=' customs doesn't seem to know what they're doing, an entire shipment was held for several weeks, over a month if I remember correctly. They eventually got let through. They held them for being citrus, then they held them because they thought the natural mottling was a bacterial infection.[/quote']

yeah mine were held for the bacteria thing, but i actually just remembered i never heard back after the initial contact, haha i doubt they would still be there!

All of my shrimp can't get enough of the ial's every time I look at tanks they always feeding of the biofilm

Is there much difference between the A grade leaves and the non A grade leaves?

A grade leaves are suitable for resale while non A grade leaves may not be flat and have holes and tears.