new journey

shrimp staring and this forum are the reason Im 15 minutes late to work every morning...

Okay really its 45 minutes late to work, but my consistent lateness has everyone convinced I start at 9:00 now :)

• HOF Member

I spend most of my day either shrimp staring or forum. doesn't leave much time for house work and dogs!!!!

Ineke your Dogies will leave home :sorrow:, House work who cares, you could always hire a house cleaner or put up with it.

Dam the competition in this new sport SCARES the K out of me, need to go and practice more as I hate loosing LOL.

Bob

• HOF Member
Ineke your Dogies will leave home :sorrow:' date=' House work who cares, you could always hire a house cleaner or put up with it.

Bob[/quote']

No they don't mind because I usually brush and clip them, mess with their bits to make sure they are clean, they enjoy being left alone and wild and woolly. Just need to take them for walks more often!!:encouragement:

my consistent lateness has everyone convinced I start at 9:00 now :)
That's awesome dude' date=' I think I might try that from now on, hahaha :victorious:
Dam the competition in this new sport SCARES the K out of me, need to go and practice more as I hate loosing LOL.Bob
There is definitely some stiff competition here on the forum, I think we should call it either "Tough Shrimpa" or the "Olshrimpics" & it should definitely be held in Deans shrimp heaven, the MCG of shrimp staring, hahaha :encouragement:

mess with their bits :encouragement:

??? I'm not asking what bits you're talking about, lol :smiley_simmons:

I cant leave you people for a few days without my thread being hijacked lol.

Do I need to pay a ransom or do something to get my thread back. I dont want to it will cut into my training regime lol.

Deans is the perfect place for all events. Staring, catching, scaping etc we could have a decathlon held over a few days. Might need to call it the MSG, Melbourne shrimping ground. Plus it's tasty lol.

Cheers mick

So back on topic, I've had to remove the c02 as it was dropping my ph so if I dropped the kh it would make the ph too low.

Ph is slowly coming up to 6.8 and once I reduce the kh it should level at around 6.2 constantly. Hopefully the that will induce some breeding and I will see what comes out. Is their a guide for sexing these accurately. From what I can tell I have 4 male, 2 female so should I try to get a female tb or does the male carry stronger genes.

Cheers mick

• HOF Member
??? I'm not asking what bits you're talking about' date=' lol :smiley_simmons:[/quote']

Your first thought would be right. Always need wash and powder their bits if they have been messy -long hair dogs get dags in their hair!!!!! Anyway I like playing with them:rolleyes:

• HOF Member
I cant leave you people for a few days without my thread being hijacked lol.

Do I need to pay a ransom or do something to get my thread back. I dont want to it will cut into my training regime lol.

Deans is the perfect place for all events. Staring' date=' catching, scaping etc we could have a decathlon held over a few days. Might need to call it the MSG, Melbourne shrimping ground. Plus it's tasty lol.

Cheers mick[/quote']

Speak to Squiggle it's all his fault besides which if you go away you are fair game:angel:

Speak to Squiggle it's all his fault besides which if you go away you are fair game:angel:

Don't blame me! why am I always the one who gets the blame? Oh yeah, I'm a guy, forgot :dejection:

• HOF Member
Don't blame me! why am I always the one who gets the blame? Oh yeah' date=' I'm a guy, forgot :dejection:[/quote']

squiggle who has the highest posts and now I'm out of here not hijacking this post anymore;):onthego:

So back on topic' date=' I've had to remove the c02 as it was dropping my ph so if I dropped the kh it would make the ph too low.

Ph is slowly coming up to 6.8 and once I reduce the kh it should level at around 6.2 constantly. Hopefully the that will induce some breeding and I will see what comes out. Is their a guide for sexing these accurately. From what I can tell I have 4 male, 2 female so should I try to get a female tb or does the male carry stronger genes.

Cheers mick[/quote']

Sounds like you're on the right track. the best way to sex them is first look for a saddle, then look for the round under belly then check the antennae, males should be about twice their body length & the females should be less than 1.5 tomes the body length, I posted a couple of pics in another thread, I'll see if I can find it for you :encouragement:

I would get a male TB as he can berry multiple mishling girls, if you get a girl TB then only the males can berry her once then you have to wait a month for the next one. Not sure about the strength of their genes, might need BB for that one :encouragement:

I agree ineke, it must be squiggles fault, but I did notice that your never to far far behind him lol.

Cheers mick

Update time. I have got my water parameters right finally but still haven't got an ro unit :(. Lazy I know lol,

Since I got my kh down and tds up I have noticed more solid colour but no berried females yet.

Here's a pic of one

20130630_173535_zpsa31195d0.jpg

Cheers mick

Very nice smicko, you on track for some cool shrimplets now :victorious:

Thanks jay. The suspense is killing me though. I check them every morning and night, I cant wait I will happy dance like a boss lol.

Cheers mick

Please help, could someone help with some photos of male and female differences please?

I checked them today and 1 seems to have a sort of round belly but they all have antennae that are easy twice the body length.

At first I thought I had 2 female and 3 male but as they grow they are looking to be all male:(

Cheers mick

G'day Mick, I personally look at body shape & antenna to determine M & F....

1fdbbba73104a3bac5c08eaae378f2ba.jpg

Generally, antenna just passing the tail is female, whereas antenna x2 the body length is male....there are exception to the rule though....able to post some pics ?

Thanks bb, I can get some pictures but my camera isn't good enough to pick up the antennae.

They all have antennae that are twice the length of the body.

Pics will be up in the morning.

Cheers mick

Some pics

20130703_185827_zps8d567cd9.jpg20130703_185841_zpsd2fe043a.jpg20130703_185924_zpsf5a3db47.jpg20130703_190033_zps25728903.jpg20130703_190248_zpsb2cc8f1a.jpg20130703_190424_zpsed45d78b.jpg

Any help with sexing would be great.

Yesterday they looked all male to me. Today I think I might have 1 or 2 females lol.

If different angles for the pics would help I will try to get some.

Cheers mick

Difficult to be 100% due to angle/clarity of pic etc... BUT my guess...

Pic 1 - Female

Pic 2 - Male

Pic 3 - Male

Pic 4 - Male

Pic 5 - Female

Pic 6 - Female

Thanks bb. Sorry about the phone pics. I will be stoked if theirs 1 boy,1 girl. That's all I need to get started.

Cheers mick