new journey

IM SO EXCITED. Just finished acclimatizing some mischlings I got from bb, mate you are a top bloke and also a shout out to 2ofus for their offer and generosity towards others, it will be rewarded. So I found myself staring intently at the tank for 20 minutes and thought I should throw up a pic, not the best pics but too bad im going back to admire my shrimp lol.

The first day

20130606_221451_zpseced5f31.jpg20130606_222751_zps3bb80f9d.jpg

I will post new developments and pics as they happen but in case anyone missed it IM EXCITED lol

Cheers mick

Lol, awesome post dude & great pics, shrimp staring is an addictive sport, hahaha :victorious: Well done! :encouragement:

Thanks squiggle, only problem is I start at 5 in the morning and am too excited,happy and awake lol.

Cheers mick

I hear ya dude, I get up around that time & I always stay up too late watching my shrimp :victorious:

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty then. I have come to the conclusion that tap water is no longer good enough. Kh is too high and cant be sure on consistency. Is the ro water from machines at servos the same as what people use for shrimp tanks, I also have the option of artesian water that has a high mineral content, ph 6.8 but would have to test gh/kh to be sure. i am using fluval shrimp substrate in the tank with c02, the water goes in at 7-7.5ph but drops and,doesnt come above 6.2 but mostly around 6. Is this ok or should I move the c02 to another tank.

Next question. What minerals, additives should I use if I get ro water? And do I need a tds pen to get the mixture correct??

Sorry to be annoying but I want to get it right for the mish before I add my dream shrimp.

Cheers mick

Not sure about the servo water, have to check TDS & see if it's zero, most RO drinking water has been alkalized to raise the ph to drinking level. Don't know much about artesian water either, you need to the TDS as well & see how high the mineral count is. If you get an RO unit then Saltyshrimp minerals are the ducks nuts, IMO nothing else comes close, probably best to get an EC pen cause Saltyshrimp specs on the pack are in EC but you can convert it to TDS if needed. You can get a cheap RO unit for about $100 FSA, they are a good unit :victorious:

I agree with squiggle. Get your own RO system and from $100 you can't go wrong. I recommend this as I once purchased 5x 20litres of RO from a Melbourne based aquarium/pet store and they filled all 5 containers in front of me from their storage tank. I'm lucky I tested the water as I was adding it to my tank as 1 of the containers had a EC of 600+. Apparently the container had chemicals in it before it was used for me. I was lucky but some have not been so lucky :(

Thanks for the prompt response. Do all the sponsers carry saltyshrimp and is there a specific one for tb, do I need any other minerals?

Should I removed the c02 since im using shrimp substrate

New shopping list lol;

Ec pen from ? (Prefer a sponsor)

Ro unit from fsa

Saltyshrimp from ? ( prefer a sponser)

Am I missing anything.

Cheers mick

You're on the right track dude :encouragement: Someone have a good TDS pen, otherwise the Hannah EC pen is the best, Dean is my first choice for minerals but while he's away JAL has it too. There are other things you could get too but aren't imperative, Bee balls are a good idea, Benibachi mineral powder is also a great product, but as I said you don't need these, they are just a great addition to your tank. I don't know about C02 as I don't use it on my tanks :dejection:

Thanks jay again lol, I will start ordering some things and I might do a before and after shot to see if they show better colour when in perfect water.

Cheers mick

Good one Mick

So tell me you lot is there a problem with Shrimp staring??????????????????, I am going out the back to do it right now and if there is a problem, what is the problem and can it be fixed??????????

Bob

Definitely incurable!! Once you get a dose of shrimp staring, you're hooked for life, sorry to tell you!! Great work Smiko, enjoy the journey.

The only problem with shrimp staring is the time warps that happen while doing it, time always seem to speed up for me, hahaha :encouragement:

It's incurable but its a good thing. I am practicing for one day it will be an Olympic sport.

Okay maybe just Commonwealth sport but that's good it means we always win gold lol.

Cheers mick

I don't know dude, I reckon it would be a photo finish, I'm naturally very good at it, it's a gift, hahaha :victorious:

MTS is like RSI for shrimp starers, lol :smiley_simmons: Totally mick, we'd have the gold in the bag, hahaha :victorious:

Totally mick' date=' we'd have the gold in the bag, hahaha :victorious:[/quote']

Don't know about that guys, some pretty stiff competition on this Forum, all are world class!

I have been fish looking for 50 years but shrimp staring for 10 of those, so do I qualify for the veteran games or do I bring it to you young whipper snappers LOL.

You a sick bunch, but fun

Bob

Sorry Mick your thread has been HIJACKED

I think it's like shooting, equestrian or bowls in the Olympics, there's no age limit so you'll be up against us 40-50 year old youngsters, hahaha :smiley_simmons:

Shooting? Would have to agree, as a former sniper I can vouch for not only losing minutes, but hours and much more. I start my day with 5 minutes of shrimp starring,

at least its supposed to be 5 minutes, feels like 5 but in reality normally 20 - 30 and often the reason for missing my bus. Its a sacrifice I can live with. Great way to

start the day.

Athlete in training dude, I have a tank on my desk with CRS & CBS, I'm always training for the big leagues, hahaha :victorious:

OK then, where is the first event going to be held????

My biggest problem is what do we call the event?? The Shrimp Olympics

Big D, miss the Buss!! how is that excuse going down? I think they would expect it from me

Bob

Big D' date=' miss the Buss!! how is that excuse going down? I think they would expect it from meBob[/quote']

Thats the reason I allow extra time, plus if I miss the one I prefer to take I still have 10 minutes to get haul ass for a different bus that will get

me there on time, just means no reading on the way :-( And I LOVE reading