Anyone know a shrimp that eats Cladophora?

Squiggle

There is one shrimp I'm want to try out, fingers crossed it does the job, will keep you posted on the results. I'm just really nervous about using peroxide in the tank cause it's so small, I've got a bottle of it in my desk draw but I'm just not sure so I'm keeping it as a last resort :encouragement:

image-74_zps0ac1cc6f.jpg

• HOF Member

I used to do drug calculations and your theory would be correct on the dilution but yes it is a worry especially if the girls are in a delicate way.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

Thanks Ineke, I was wondering if anyone was going to help me with the maths on that one, I might give it a go at half strength first :encouragement:

image-74_zpsbd60201f.jpg

• HOF Member

Give it a go at that strength it should be ok it just might not work. Are you able to get a bit out to try and see if it has any effect?

Cheers

Ineke :encouragement:

Not really, you have to dose it every two days for two weeks :encouragement:

image-74_zpse76cc6f9.jpg

if you are spot dosing just use 2ml of the 3% stuff in the 11l tank

Choose a small area and work out from that point, dose maybe a 20 cent size are with each ml and it should work.

• 9 months later...

Just bumping this thread, as the clado in my tanks that never really bothered me is now bothering me :-) Trying to use an alternative besides peroxide…. Any success stories …..

Well I had tried a few things without success, the only thing that worked for me was removing it manually with tweezers but this is only a temporary fix as it has come back every time. I want to try stronger doses of both Excel & H2O2 but not with shrimp in there. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Is there anything that will eat it as in fish? Could you take the shrimp out and add a fish, could you take the plants out and dose them or put the plants in with fish that will eat it? Just a few ideas to throw around- I haven't retread the thread so it might all have been tried. It's past my bedtime so I'm getting lazy:encouragement:

If your shrimp are hungry maybe you could bait them away from the algae to spot treat with H2O2 and Excel, and try to shoo away the rest right before. Also you can spot treat a smaller dose but more times in total. With H2O2 you could even do it multiple times a day as it breaks down harmlessly as it reacts, faster with lights on.

Too many shrimps and critical period of breeding & shrimplets etc….. will just live and accept the clado then…. Thanks

Just bumping this thread' date=' as the clado in my tanks that never really bothered me is now bothering me :-) Trying to use an alternative besides peroxide…. Any success stories …..[/quote']

In my experience, spot dosing or dips never really solves the problem. With clado, they are really tiny strands, if you have them in one area of your tank then there is a high chance that there are spores or small pieces of it all over your tank.

I killed all of my clado by adding 10 darwin algae eaters, and 10 red nose + i had to cover 80-90% of the surface with frogbits (left lights on as usual) for a a week or 2

What happens is, the frogbits will cover most of the light and suck up all the nutrients from the water, the algae will slowly die of due to lack of nutrients and light + the algae eating shrimps will clean up the rest of the dying clado :)

This method will clear the tank completely of pretty much any algae

And 100% shrimp safe as no chemicals are used :)

I found that my shrimp colonies will approach food sources differently. My cbs love hair algae so if I put a slate of moss in, it's cleaned within a day, the next section over will eat all the roots off the giant duckweed, ignore hair algae but decimate bba. A separate tank won't touch any algae... *shrug*

i did get a new type in my scape tank 'antler algae' yay.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found this thread interesting, simply because I too appear to have a species of cladophora in my tanks, and while nothing I have found actually eats it my shrimp do love cleaning it. As far as I know the only shrimp known for eating clado are amano shrimp, which the closest we can get to in Australia would be as Bob suggested Typhus shrimp.

But what else I find that is so interesting about clado is that the much talked about Marimo Moss Balls are also a species of cladophora......just goes to show how well marking can make a product appear desirable.

....But what else I find that is so interesting about clado is that the much talked about Marimo Moss Balls are also a species of cladophora......just goes to show how well marketing can make a product appear desirable.

Yes, but marimo's are cute round balls that rolls around, and has a cultural/lucky persona attached to it..... Not that I'll ever have or own one of course. ;)